Idea for a Bretonnia

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Idea for a Bretonnia

Post by Greyhound »

are you seriously considering a ST5 position with access to GS starting with Mighty Blow and Stand Firm, a balanced piece at 140k?

compassionate is not a bad negatrait, not having 3D is not a problem since he can get block.
no loss of TZ
negatrait only stops him from moving a la "take root" but much better since you can move him again once the player got up.

which big guy is better than this monster?

Reason: ''
legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

After listening to all the suggestions, this is what I presently have. As you can see, I've reduce the movement of all the knights by 1, putting them in the stats range of the Black Orcs. I've giving them Animosity, although I might have to change the titles to show the distinction between the highborn Squires and Knights, and the Lowborn Poachers, Linesmen and Yeomen. Also, the Grail Knights start with the same skills as the Knights, but with a higher strength, Loner and Compassionate. I've also reduced there cost, and they lost General Access, to show that these guys are warriors who happen to play bloodbowl, not bloodbowl players that happen to be knights.

I have several questions for the community. First is should I remove the Grail Knights Completely?
Should I give the Poachers a different stats line, like the catchers and runner of other teams?
Should I reduce the number of poachers allowed to 2, and up the number of squires allowed to 4 (showing that when it comes to positions, it's a rich mans game?)

Code: Select all

0-16             50000   Linesmen        6/3/3/7   Fend                                                               G/SAP
0-4              70000   Poachers        6/3/3/7   Fend, Dodge                                                        GA/SP
0-2              70000   Yeomen          6/3/3/7   Fend, Pass                                                         GP/SA
0-2              80000   Squires         6/3/3/8   Stand Firm, Animosity                                              G/SAP
0-2              100000  Knight          4/4/2/9   Stand Firm, Dauntless, Animosity                                   GS/AP
0-1              130000  Grail Knight    4/5/2/9   Stand Firm, Dauntless, Loner,  Compassionate             S/GAP
Compassionate - If the player is standing next to a teammate that has been knocked down, roll a d6. On a 1, the player may not move away from the knocked down player, and must stand there until the player leaves the pitch, or gets back up. On a 2 or better, the player is not effected by the knocked down player. In addition, the player will never use more then 2 dice when blocking a unit with less then half his strength, before adding assists to block strengths. Player may not foul another player.

edit: I hadn't realize it had said team instead of teammate. Compassion is supposed to mean that he hangs around team members that have been knocked down, and protect them from further injury.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Is a grail knight really going to feel compassion towards a snotling? Make the roll 3+ and forget the block dice thing.
There's other stuff I could mention but I think this is a big issue.

The grail knight could be

4,5,2,9. Mighty blow, thick skull,great arrogance(the same as bone head).

Keep it simple my friend. If we tried flufing up all the teams things would get a bit OTT zombies would eat people and dwarfs would get bonuses against anyone with a gold tooth!

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

I like your idea Arthurinkpen, but I'm starting to wonder if I should even bother with the grail knight. The 2 Knights, with 4 strength and Dauntless might be able to hold there own on the line by themselves. I'm kicking around this idea as an alternative to having the grail knight.

0-16 Lines men (exactly the same, very similar to what Plasmoid suggested on his website.
0-2 Poachers 7, 2, 3, 7, Fend, Dodge 60000 (Poachers aren't given any armor, they have to survive on the best they can)
0-2 Yeomen (no change)
0-4 Squires (possible change would be 5, 3, 3, 8, Stand Firm, Wrestle, Animosity, total cost would be 90000 to allow the Bretonnians have similar skills to what Plasmoid laid out for them).
0-2 Knights (Increase cost to 110000)

--or--
Have 4 Knights and 2 Squires There are a lot of ideas going around, and I appreciate the feedback that I'm getting. If I get a lot of suggestions, I might put up a poll of some sort.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

After much consideration, use of this website
http://www.midgardbb.com/NewBBTeamBuildingGuide.html
and Plasmoids website
http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/BBBretonnians.htm

I've taken the time to tinker with the Bretonnians, so that they are a little more unique from the humans and other human races. This is what I've come up with

Code: Select all

Qty.   Title          Cost        MA  ST   AG   AV    Skills                                                       Access
0-16  Linesmen       50000      6    3     3     7     Fend                                                        G/SAP
0-4    Yeomen        70000      6    3     3     7     Fend, Wrestle                                               GS/AP
0-4    Squire          90000      6    3     3     8  Animosity, Thick Skull, Dodge, Dump Off                      GAP/S
0-2    Knights        110000     4    4     2     9    Animosity, Thick Skull, Dauntless, Tackle                   GS/AP
This borrows quite a few ideas of Plasmoids Bretonnians, but it this Bretonnian team emphasized the differences between the peasant and the noble, with Animosity meaning that Squires and Knights won't pass the ball to Yeomen or Linesmen, claiming all the glory for themselves. Squires are your primary ball handlers, while the Knights are older players that have survived battles and wars, and have tagged along on the Blood Bowl pitch as a bit of a break from the day to day. Yeomen are free men that have decided to make a living keep young squires out of trouble on the blood bowl pitch, even if it mens dragging the other guy down in front them. Linesmen are made up of peasants that have be conscripted by the squires and knights to fill out there team.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

You Bretonnian fans have got a real protuberence for this topic. :wink:

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Good word protuberance.

I fear that there is a major issue with the bretonnian team. In any future (?!?) edition, they are unlikely to get in. It seems that a bretonian team is going to be based around fend. However, I would argue that if the amazons are redone, fend could replace dodge on the linewomen, and there won't be room for two fend teams.

back on topic, i think its important to address the elephant in the room - a big guy with access to block. let's say it together shall we?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

nazgob wrote:back on topic, i think its important to address the elephant in the room - a big guy with access to block. let's say it together shall we?
[All together] What, the one that he firstly changed to remove Block, and the removed completely? [/All together]

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

Darkson wrote:
nazgob wrote:back on topic, i think its important to address the elephant in the room - a big guy with access to block. let's say it together shall we?
[All together] What, the one that he firstly changed to remove Block, and the removed completely? [/All together]
Even more importantly, I am completely against elephants being on the Britonnian team.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I looked into this some more and it turns out that there is a BBRC sanctioned Bretonnian team already.

Here's their stat box:

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Burgun,
it was totally worth necroing this thread just to repeat your old argument.

But I don't understand: Why did you post the rules for norse and amazon?

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Krulfang
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Krulfang »

Oh, don't tell us the human team should be the same as Bretonnia. If Norse and Amazon get their own lists, why not Bretonnia? The only difference is that Bretonnia is distinct enough to get its own full army while norse and amazons are not! But I digress, this thread is not here to argue the merits of Bretonnia existing as a team but to respond to this particular homemade team roster.

My only problem here is this:

There already is a Bretonnian roster that has been extensively playtested across a LOT of games, and that is found here: http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/BBBretonnians.htm

Yes, you took it into consideration, but have you tried it? It is well thought out, and plasmoid made a good team that is well balanced. If you want to play Bretonnia, try out a playtested list and if it doesn't work for you, then try to adjust it slightly. Starting from scratch is not easy to do. All I'm saying is actually play a few games with plasmoid's before you try changing it.

I do like the idea of animosity on the knightly people, but it needs to be very clear who they have animosity towards. Also, to be able to start with such a wide range of skills across so many models... Yeomen don't need fend (fend was put in to represent the cowardly nature of the peasantry. Yeomen are the bravest among the peasants, so it feels out of place as a starting skill). The Squires have two problems for me: A- you can get more squires than knights. A knight only has one squire! and B- TS, Dodge, and Dump-Off are very good starting skills with his statline, especially for 90000. The answer for me is not to make them cost more, but get rid of one of their skills, I would recommend dump off. Bretonnia doesn't seem like a passing team, and I don't think they should even have players with Passing access except on doubles. Also, the knights do not have S4 in the tabletop, so I feel like giving them the strength of a saurus or black orc (which does!) feels out of place as well. Also, I don't imagine a knight being as slow as a mummy! Knights are going to want to score touchdowns, fluffwise, and they should be designed to be star players in the style of blitzers, not a blocker piece.

EDIT: also just noticed the thread necro. Really? I'd say the real protuberance is people being so opposed to a new team. Like I said before, if you don't like it, crack their skulls open on the pitch instead of boycotting the attempts to make them a fourth add-on team!

Keepin' it Green.
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

plasmoid wrote:Hi Burgun,
it was totally worth necroing this thread just to repeat your old argument.
:lol: Yes it was.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

So resurrection just to give that same old line? I believe someone made that statement near the beginning of the thread, so... way to be on the ball and all that jazz.

As has been noted early, I went through a lot of changes since what was posted on the first page. I also took Plasmoid team in to consideration, and burrowed heavily from that team, splitting the team into two parts - Low Born peasants with Fend, and High Born knights Thick Skull and Animosity (which would be directed at the Low Borns).
The general idea behind Knights and Squires was that Squires would actively participate in Blood Bowl to get a shot at glory, while the knights that tag along aren't regularly players, but instead are chaperone's that tag along to keep the young'ens out of trouble. That is why the Squires get such large skill access, and why there might be more squires on the team than knights. Oh, and Knights are slow because they insist on wearing there platemail armor on the pitch.

(On the other hand, requiring that you have a knight for every squire would be a cool rule to have, and then I'd suggest 6 Yeomen, 2 Squires and 2 Knights and different skill access for the Yeomen)

Anyway, its been a couple of weeks since I thought about the Bretonnians, and there are some great suggestions on this thread that I received from people. For squires, maybe instead of Dodge and Dump-off, I would consider Dodge and Sure Hands. Seems like the skills a player would have.

Anyway, stop resurrecting this thread to make lame statements that are over used.

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

burgun824 wrote:I looked into this some more and it turns out that there is a BBRC sanctioned Bretonnian team already.

Here's their stat box:

thats also the stat for nippon, tiliea, estilea, kislev, border princes and araby

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK