Why is Chaos so.... orderly?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

bjcantwell
Rookie
Rookie

Why is Chaos so.... orderly?

Post by bjcantwell »

The background of Blood Bowl is rife with tales of the Chaos Gods dropping a mutation on some player at their whim, for their amusement. Yet those teams with mutation access apply mutations with surgical precision and in the end, you only see a couple of mutations. It all sounds just too neat and orderly to me...

So, I was thinking about ways to add some chaos back to the mutation process. You can't simply make it random pr no one would take them. My idea was something like this. When a player takes a mutation as a skill improvement, roll a d6.

1) Player receives one mutation of his choice
2-4) Player receives one random mutation
5) Player receives two random mutations
6) Player receives one mutation of his choice and one random mutation

This would offset the 50% chance of getting only a random mutation with a 33% chance of getting an extra mutation. Player value would go up by 20K/30K for each mutation awarded...

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Why is Chaos so.... orderly?

Post by Darkson »

The background of all GW games are rife with Chaos being, well, chaotic - unfortunately random mutations (or whatever) doesn't translate well to balanced games (which to many people seem concerned about this days :( ).

*longs for the old days of Realms of Chaos :( *

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
antipixi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by antipixi »

Darkson wrote:
*longs for the old days of Realms of Chaos :( *
AMEN!

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM WALES!
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

House rule it. . .

Although, I would start with the simple choice. When doubles are rolled players have a choice between chosing a mutation or getting two random one's.

You would certainly end up with some cooler more mutated teams that way. . .with the posibility of having some OP guys.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I like the idea but the exectution could be better.

Though I like the idea of accidentally building ball handaling,dodging nurgle chaos warriors or tentacle underworld goblin.

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

arthurinkpen wrote:Though I like the idea of accidentally building ball handaling,dodging nurgle chaos warriors
Oh, for the days of Melchior, my Very Long Legs, Catch, Dodge, AG4 Warrior. He was like a Wood Elf wearing a tank.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

That's the beauty of chaos, with enough effort they can really be sculpted into so many interseting things.

anc001
Experienced
Experienced

Post by anc001 »

i definatley agree, needs some randomness to increase the fun and flavour.

I house ruled this for one of our teams last season, where skill roll of 2 was one mutation, 3 was another etc, 7 and up was normal.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I ran a Chaos league where all skilled where generated randomly!! I ended up with a treeman with pass block!! if you want i can send you the skill charts. You roll to see which table you select from (general/Agility ect) , then roll to see what you get.If you roll a 6 you get to pick the table (iirc) and if you roll a 6 or 8 (D8) on the ntable you choose the skill.

Not all teams had access to Mutations across the board, however, they could if they wished (and rolled a 6) take them!!

Before the shouting starts, it was never meant to be a serious league, we had a mix of new and experienced players. the teams could only used in that league, it ran along side a "normal" league as a alternate to the serious club league...

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Points to the ARBBL goes Chaos rules.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Why not add some rules that if a player gets too many mutations he risks turning into a chaos spawn.

As a spawn he either slithers off to the chaos wastes or becomes something like a beast of nurgle but with decay and a chance of going off to the wastes after every game.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

spubbbba wrote:Why not add some rules that if a player gets too many mutations he risks turning into a chaos spawn.
Darkson wrote:Points to the ARBBL goes Chaos rules.

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

I've got a few mutations on my Chaos but I don't think many of them to be great.

I have a AG4 leaping Chaos warrior poised to get long legs.

A couple of the team has claws

A another CW has dodge

And a beastman has big hand.

I think some are mutations are cool but unless you are going to dedicate to developing a style then it's not much on the agenda.

My Minotaur has AG3... It could have long legs too.

AG4 beastmen with Longlegs, leap, extra arms and Passblock would be fun!

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

I'd totally go 2 random over a single chosen. Are you considering the 2 random be counted as the value of the single chosen? That would be pretty powerful even if they are the 2 most unpicked mutations there are.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)