untapped player design

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

untapped player design

Post by Greyhound »

We get a few new rosters every now and again, some really good, some "interesting" and some which just don't do it for me.

I am surprised however how very few use untapped opportunity in the skill accesses:
- Big Guy with A- access only rather then S
- A-access only without G on non-stunty players
- M access only
- others I'm sure.

any idea why?

Reason: ''
Raziel_Spry
Rookie
Rookie

Re: untapped player design

Post by Raziel_Spry »

I see what you're saying, and I've often thought the same: from gameplay perspective, such teams really add a different dimension to the game.

IMO the "problem" is that people designing teams generally think of a player/character type, and design stats to fit them, rather than the other way around.

As a side note, I think it's amazing just how many rosters are out there (some of them are just crazy powerful)

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Well, this is interesting, and seemingly a good point.

But surely a big guy with Ag access is bad. Skill 1 dodge. Which is bad enough on a strength 5 piece, but with one doubles, he's blodging'

Chosen Warrior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chosen Warrior »

G access seems universal on all players since the skills are, well, "general". When a player is on a BB team the basic premise is that he's there to play ball, which means access to general skills. A only tends to mean that the player is too small to play the game properly (stunties) and S only means they're monsters who won't play ball. I guess A only would be proper for some Elf pansy, but why that pansy would end up on a BB pitch, I've no idea. So there needs to be some fluff behind skill choices, and G access often makes sense when A only or P only wouldn't make sense. For example, why would a big guy have access to agility skills only if he's only AG 2 (and remember having both ST 5 and a decent AG will quickly start approaching unbalanced)?

M only players I could see as Skavenslaves, useless fodder who can't play the game and have to mine out the warpstone. Or maybe demons. Or constructs, golems, on a dwarf team of engineers (they can be modified with extra parts can not easily learn new skills). I'm sure giving Deathroller mutation access would be a very welcome change for the majority of BB players. :D

I do think "different" big guys could fit in as positionals on the Ogre team though. These guys have watched other teams play blood bowl and are very excited about it, they will try to play the game in a more conventional way, not just dumb, skilless bashing relying on brute strength:

0-2 Ogre Passer: loses Mighty Blow, gains Strong Arm. P access/ GSA doubles

0-2 Ogre Catcher: loses MB, gains Catch. A access/ GSP doubles

0-1 Ogre Professional Blood Bowl Superstar: gains Wrestle, loses MB. G access / SAP doubles

Stats still 5/5/2/9. The team can still only have max 6 ogres on the field at once.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Chosen Warrior wrote:
..... I'm sure giving Deathroller mutation access would be a very welcome change for the majority of BB players. :D ......

I
Block, tentacles, claw, prehensile tail.

Well my work is done. Screw that for a egg sandwich. Hey dwarves, have a induced st7 tentacle player, that's not unbalanced.

Sorry I like the death roller mutation free thanks.

Chosen Warrior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chosen Warrior »

arthurinkpen wrote:Sorry I like the death roller mutation free thanks.
All right maybe this: :wink: might have been more appropriate a smiley, anyway I wasn't being serious.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Chosen Warrior wrote:
arthurinkpen wrote:Sorry I like the death roller mutation free thanks.
All right maybe this: :wink: might have been more appropriate a smiley, anyway I wasn't being serious.

As long as were all clear that it would be f*&#d up its all cool.