AG2 Saurus?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

AG2 Saurus?

Post by inkpwn »

Just flipping through the rules and the lizardmen saurus has AG1 while a shambaling zombie has AG2. Why is this? Seems to me that a big lizard would be more agile than a zombie. I propose a AG increase for the saurus.
Or is this too much, AG2 may stiffle the dwarves but a 4+ pick up on a ST4 guy and stuntys? I really don't know. The lack of defensive skills on a saurus may make it a bad ball carrier even with AG2. Or is the strength enough to compensate?

Reason: ''
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Re: AG2 Saurus?

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

The Lizardman team is supposed to be a balance between an ST5 monster with up to 6xST4, AG1 bad boys and the AG3 Stunties. A classic Little and Large team, much like Ogres.

Making the Saurus AG2 puts them as Black Orcs on speed, and opens up all sorts of other play styles for the team that they don't really need and probably shouldn't really have. Keep 'em at AG1, I say.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Ulthuan_Express wrote:The Lizardman team is supposed to be a balance between an ST5 monster with up to 6xST4, AG1 bad boys and the AG3 Stunties. A classic Little and Large team, much like Ogres.

Making the Saurus AG2 puts them as Black Orcs on speed, and opens up all sorts of other play styles for the team that they don't really need and probably shouldn't really have. Keep 'em at AG1, I say.

True, but BOBs are backed up by skilled positionals and have the cheeky OTT trick.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

No.

If you want a reason, say its because they are cold-blooded and out of their natural climate when playing BB in the Old World.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Joemanji wrote:No.

If you want a reason, say its because they are cold-blooded and out of their natural climate when playing BB in the Old World.

Ok, a fluff reason would do, just a better one :p
(what would the skinks be AG5 in the warmth?)

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

arthurinkpen wrote:
Ulthuan_Express wrote:The Lizardman team is supposed to be a balance between an ST5 monster with up to 6xST4, AG1 bad boys and the AG3 Stunties. A classic Little and Large team, much like Ogres.

True, but BOBs are backed up by skilled positionals and have the cheeky OTT trick.
A conversely a skink train in full effect can be a wonderful thing to behold. Assuming you haven't blinked and missed it as they've scuttled past you for a Touchdown, of course. Lizardmen are a well balanced team, no need to mess with them.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Ulthuan_Express wrote:
arthurinkpen wrote:

A conversely a skink train in full effect can be a wonderful thing to behold. Assuming you haven't blinked and missed it as they've scuttled past you for a Touchdown, of course. Lizardmen are a well balanced team, no need to mess with them.

It is a glorious thing to behold. Hum, don't really know what I was thinking for such a small roster they are very very ballanced :)

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Definitely AG1

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

What about TMNT the burgen824?

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

I see several problems with Saurus AG2:

- Cost, as mentioned they would be all around better than BO possibly increasing their price.
- get an early +AG and you have an amazing thrower (for this team):
* Ag3
* Sure Hands on normal rolls (why pick up the ball with a skink)
* Strong arm (Skinks are really good catchers)
Right now it would take 2x +AG which pushes him to an unskilled level 3... not worth it.

I would seriously consider taking sure hands on AG2 as a first skill for the team. AG3 skinks are less likely to pick up the ball than this guy. And he would be a great machine to score early on as many teams would find it difficult to take the ball from a ST4 monster.

If anything had to be changed on the Lizardmen team (and I'm not convinced it does) is to give the Saurus some ability to defend themself against Claws. Considering the slow growth of these monsters they are often underskilled against a Block/MB/Pile on/Claw player. By the time in a league you start facing that you'll be lucky if you have a single level3 saurus.
So if anything had to be done to them, with a stretch, it would be to give them Thick Skull to allow the team to keep some form of defence.

If you kick with a Lizardmen team against a Claw-team you are likely to loose a Saurus before turn 1 on the LOS, and maybe two with a lucky blitz. It all goes downhill from there. Thick skull would prevent some KO, reducing the bad-luck game.

I once lost 3 Saurus (Badly hurt) and the Kroxigor by turn 2 (or 3 can't remember) and I must admit I conceded. It was going to be better for me to take this loss and have the team fresh next game than most of my skinks (it was LRB5 with stunty giving +1 to cas) than continue loosing more.
With only 3 Saurus I couldn't manage a 2 dice block against the guard in the other team, and I don't think 6 skinks on their own who have levelled up with some nice stats and double were worth risking.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

blah, blah, blah ........
So if anything had to be done to them, with a stretch, it would be to give them Thick Skull to allow the team to keep some form of defence.......blah blah blah :orc:

I do like the thick skull idea :)

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

apologies for the verbal diarrhoea :puke:

Yeah thick skull maybe for the odd unlucky game, but Lizardmen are balanced against most teams anyway so not a requirement.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

True but I do like the idea of having thick skull as a starting skill. Its not a massive advantige but it makes a lot of sense.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

arthurinkpen wrote:True but I do like the idea of having thick skull as a starting skill. Its not a massive advantige but it makes a lot of sense.
At what additional cost ? they are already 80k for a peice thats slow (and difficult) to skill up so adding 20k is a bit of a spoiler.... (not that i care, dont use them on my Lizardmen roster)

i know they added TH to Skeletons at no extra cost, however that was mainly IIRC because everyone used Zombies on the Undead roster

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I would not add a cost, they are AG1 so getting in punch ups is their only option to skill up.
They have 2 less AG than a chaos warrior and no mutation access so I would expect him to be 80k with a so-so skill.