Niggling injuries as an alternative to "Aging"

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Oxynot
Veteran
Veteran

Niggling injuries as an alternative to "Aging"

Post by Oxynot »

Ok, do not get provoked from the title. I hated aging rule vehemently when it was in place. There's the disclaimer, next up is motivation and background:

I'm looking for mechanism which would curtail TVs in a perpetual league in a more or less organic way. I think the situation is now that they can easily get too high and nothing can rein them back. This makes introducing fresh teams in these kind of setting a bit too daunting. In addition the change to niggling injuries from LRB4 was a great move, but the rules still reflect the old, worse version. I.e. it is very difficult the get niggling injuries even though the reason for this is largely gone.

And finally, the idea:

Players ought to receive a niggling injury with each skill roll, expect, say, the first one. So when the players get better (and older) they get a bit more prone to further injuries. This would accelerate player turnover from the top instead of the bottom, which I'd find preferable.

I know this is chiefly a rehash of the hated aging rules (see beginning of post), but less severe.

What do you think, would you welcome or deem necessary this kind of adjustment?

A little of topic, I'd like to try this with maybe a lower threshold for spiraling expenses to see what an effect it'd have. Maybe I'd see teams that didn't have all the positionals and pumped up after a set number of games.

edit: the rate is not set in stone, might as well be a niggle with every other roll.

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Niggling injuries as an alternative to "Aging"

Post by Joemanji »

My players turn over often enough without any extra help thanks! The current version of Claw means that even Dwarfs/Orc can't just sit on their laurels. Players will eventually die.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

I think the current rate of player deaths/casualties is balanced enough to alow players to get true value out of star players but ensures that if they play for long enough they will either be cut due to injury/TV isssues or die outright.

Oxynot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oxynot »

It seems that at least two other people has not experienced the same phenomenon as me. Or at least have not perceived it to be a problem. It might be just my league, but claw players can't keep the other in check. More and more teams approach the 200TV mark.

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

I guess it depends on what TV you find appropriate, with the current spiralling expenses and rules, a TV of around 2000k is definately achievable and should be possible to maintain, but if you go much higher, you won't earn any money to replace dead players and will slowly slide back in TV. If 2000k is too high for you, definately try to play with spiralling expenses.

I prefer toying with gold rather than bringing back ageing, even in a milder version.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
hancock.tom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hancock.tom »

The journeymen rule makes the spiraling expenses / gold disadvantage a lot weaker. Most TV 2000 teams can still operate pretty effectively with one or two journeymen on the team.

The other issue is that the game's balance at that TV is heavily reliant on teams with mutation access. If you don't have a high level chaos, nurgle, or underworld player a 2000TV wood elf team can go nuts!

Chosen Warrior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chosen Warrior »

hancock.tom wrote:The other issue is that the game's balance at that TV is heavily reliant on teams with mutation access. If you don't have a high level chaos, nurgle, or underworld player a 2000TV wood elf team can go nuts!
I don't understand, isn't tackle and mighty blow enough to kill wood elves? If anything I would think mutation access teams are needed to keep orcs and dwarves, the AV 9 guys, in check with claw.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

I didn't like the aging system itself but I did like the concept of it. Losing a str or agility was just too harsh of a penalty.

I think it is way to provide some interesting twists to the game.

Random ideas of effects.
- 1 MA (they have lost a step)
- 1 AV ( Don't take a hit like they use too)
-Niggler
-Super ego- Kind of like the skill anomosity, but anytime they pass or hand of the ball they need to make a roll. They simply believe the ball should be in their hands
-Can't warm up - 50/50 chance they miss the first drive of the game cause they can't get loose.
-Become the beast - Effectively they get the wild animal trait. They have done it all and only that really interests them is hitting people.
-Star contract- Every once and a while they decide they should get paid more then the other players. Each game there is a 1 in 6 chance they won't play in the first --half unless you pay them 30k bonus for their "hard work".
- concussion prone- Can't take a hit like they use too. On a knocked out result they need a 6+ to get back in.
- Winded- Effectively works like sweltering heat, chance they have to sit out after each drive 1 in 6.

I am sure I could come up with more but these were just off the top of my head and first drafts but hopefully you get the idea.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Joemanji wrote:My players turn over often enough without any extra help thanks! The current version of Claw means that even Dwarfs/Orc can't just sit on their laurels. Players will eventually die.
Have to agree with Joe, I think the current system works fine

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

I think the additional attrition system woudl be in conjuction of changing how piling on/mb/claw work together so your overall attrition would be close to the same but the pure slaughter team would be a little less powerful in killing and maybe would focus a little more on winning.

Akalabeth
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Akalabeth »

Oxynot wrote:Ok, do not get provoked from the title. I hated aging rule vehemently when it was in place. There's the disclaimer, next up is motivation and background:

I'm looking for mechanism which would curtail TVs in a perpetual league in a more or less organic way. I think the situation is now that they can easily get too high and nothing can rein them back. This makes introducing fresh teams in these kind of setting a bit too daunting. In addition the change to niggling injuries from LRB4 was a great move, but the rules still reflect the old, worse version. I.e. it is very difficult the get niggling injuries even though the reason for this is largely gone.
How big is your league?
The league I'm in has two divisions, one for new teams, one for experienced teams. It helps alleviate the problem of fresh teams facing TV200+ monsters because each of the new teams will first have to play a season before they reach the big boys.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

Leagues will take longer to have the same issue as seen in MM, but it will happen. The rate of games is just so slow that it hides the issue some.

The aging system kept from the run away effect for teams, which the current does not. The strong just get stronger in this one. I would not want aging to come back but i think there is a middle ground that can be found.