Dryad Team

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Dryad Team

Post by garion »

hancock.tom wrote: The "altered forms" are not overpowered on their own, but giving a coach access to all of them on one team is super good. No one will ever take your passer. They will either just run the ball or just take the MA8 AG4 catcher and wait for an AG boost, then use that guy as the passer. STR4 Mighty Blow is like a saurus but better, and the MA8 AG4 piece is a better more durable ball carrier than a skink (no stunty).

So what would I change? Probably make your altered forms limited to 2 of each for the team, except for the general track. You would still have 4 ag4 pieces, 2 with block, and 2 with str4. At that point the team would play a lot like a necromantic with much faster linemen and much less skill access. It would play like a starting chaos team at 1000 TV, like a necro team at mid level TV, and at high TV I think it would begin to play like high TV humans.

That change would weaken the team pretty significantly, which would allow you to drop the reroll cost and improve their play out of the box.
I would prefer not to limit the forms so if a coach wanted to try and build a team with 10 st guys and 1 ag type then they could.

I understand what you mean when you say having a mix of that speed agility and strength on the team could be OP. But they are so limited by the lack of blodge on their ag types and block on their st types that the effectiveness of these types is largely reduced.

As for the passer type - personally I take 1. The reasons for this are he can take leader to add to you re-rolls (this is part of the reason RRs are expensive - so people are more inclined to take the passer). Also he is more durable than the ag type as he has 1 more ST and AV than the AG type. Also given him pass, NOS, dump off and you have a very good ball carrier when supported by an ag type.

The ag types IMO are not good ball carriers for a few reasons. Firstly they get no block secondly they have no sure hands so cannot negate strip ball. They are also very weak. st2 and av7 makes them amongst the softest positional in the game.

Also you say the ST4 MB guy is like a Saurus but better? I do not see how. Firstly they both start out with no skills and at the first skill pick your St Dryad will be 4, 4, 1, 9 MB, your saurus will be 6, 4, 1, 9 MB if they chose that as their first skill. The saurus is both faster and has access to general skills so can pick block the sT dryad cannot. The form is only decided once the first skill is picked (so once your rookie has obtained 6spp) This means all the types will be slower developing than the nearest comparable player from other teams.

Your comparison to other teams is spot on though. Starting roster is similar to playing with rookie Chaos, mid tier would be similar to Necro (and where this team will start performing) at top tier because of the limitations they will perform like humans as you say. This is a result I’m very happy with as I do not want to create a top tier team as said by other people it is better to create a weak team first then improve them later.

Also I thought i should poitn out that there is a lack of a big guy in the team which could present problems especially when faced with a beast for example.

Reason: ''
hancock.tom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hancock.tom »

I started to write a long post about how an unlimited number of 20K cheaper sauruses who are easier to get to their first skill up are better than sauruses, but thought better of it. You seem pretty convinced.

How many blood bowl teams with multiple AG4 players also have multiple ST4 players? I think the answer is only Vamps, and obviously they have blood lust, a huge weakness. No team with AG4 pieces has access to more than one ST4+ player. No team with ST4 pieces has access to AG4. There is a reason for this, and it isn't because Tom Anders hates the number 4.

garion

Post by garion »

Yup I am aware of the rules about team building, they are actually posted in this thread somewhere. The reason they allow this with vamps is because of bloodlust which is a major weakness. Similarly This team has a major draw back which is not allowing anyone access to general skills. This is a huge disadvantage and means although you could have 11 ST type dryads if you wanted none of them would have block unless doubles were rolled therefor inflating your team value.

There fast agile players are very easy to kill as well since they are lacking block for cover and av7 and st 2 is obviously aweful.
Also I wouldnt compare the ST dryads to a saurus it is more comparible to a BOB -
A BOB is 80k with 4,4,2,9 at rookie leve
a S Dryad is worth 80k with 4,4,1,9 with Mighty blow. so that is giving him a skill and losing an agility over a BOB but the BOB has access to general skills while the S Dryad does not. Also from this point the dryad will be slower to develop as he needs another 10 spp to get his next skill and another 20 after that.

The big disadvantag this team has is that it is very slow to develop and also it lack of skill access. Personally I think this more than balances the fact that it has a good mix of ST MA and AG.

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

For what it's worth, I like the look of it. Be interesting to see how it performed in a league.

garion

Post by garion »

Well for those that did not like the mix of st and ag in the previous team here is another take on a dryad themed team. This time I have encorporated the treekin and branch nymphs as well

20k 0-16 Branch Nymphs 5 1 3 5 - A Dodge, Right Stuff, Side Step, Stunty, Titchy
120k 1 Treeman 2 6 1 10 - S Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, StandFirm, Strong Arm, Throw Team Mate, Take Root, Loner
100k 2 Treekin 3 4 1 9 - S, G Take Root, Thick Skull, Standfirm
60k 2 Oak Dryad 4 3 2 9 - S,G Fend
60k 2 Willow Dryad 5 3 3 8 - G Block
60k 2 Birch Dryad 6 3 3 8 - G,P Sure hands

RR 70k

With this roster the team can start with 4 RR which seems a little too much for me. Maybe I should increase the price of the dryads a little more?

Please send more feedback everyone.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Still too broken, personlly I think titchy should only be on snotlings, titchys broken IMHO(I am so glad snots have MV5) it only works on the snots because they are paired with boneheads. With this current list you can can cage, smash and 'run' with the ball. But the main problem is it steals other teams theme pieces, you have flesh golems, snots and a treeman which makes it feel like'Forest pact' rather than its own thing.

Sorry to be so critical, but I do belive it will work with tweaking.

garion

Post by garion »

It no problme i welcome criticism as it makes me think about things in different ways.

Im interested to here why you think titchy is broken? Also Wood Nymphs are pretty much the exact same size as snotlings if not a little smaller. So it only seems fitting that they have titchy. In my experience Snotlings are just plain terrible.

Also you say the team can smash and run. Im not sure that is true really because 9 of your players have mv 5 or less only 2 of the players can move 6. But yes they can certainly smash. Although I think they could be in a world of hurt if they came up against a chaos claw heavy team.

Also the treekin are similar to Flesh Golems. But not the same. Obviosuly flesh golems can regen, but they also have access to general skills which is a huge advantage. When creating this team I was just thinking about making them smaller trees bascially. Hence having Thick Skull and Stand Firm like their bigger brothers. What if I gave them ST5 and Take root as well? They would then have a negatrait but the team would bascially have 3 big guys which would be quite scary.

The way I created this team was. 1 Big guy, 2 Blockers (treekin), 2 Blitzers (Oak), 2 Runners (Birch), 2 Versatile (Willow) then some branch nymphs. Which I personally think suck.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Yes titchy is broken dodging on 2+ ignoring tackle zones, if those guy wernt made of squish then I would be worried.
The problem is even with MA5 guys those stand firm pieces combined with the block pieces make a fantastic cage. If you have a stunty in the middle that dodges on that 2+ then you opponent really has to obliterate that cage (which is o so very hard to do) and then even with a loose formation preventing the cage from moving that little guy only has a few easy dodges to make it to the endzone or to the tree.

garion

Post by garion »

arthurinkpen wrote:Yes titchy is broken dodging on 2+ ignoring tackle zones, if those guy wernt made of squish then I would be worried.

Yup 2+ doding ignoring tackle zones is nice. But it is deinately not broken. They are so squishy that it completely negates the effectiveness of this. Also they still have to pick the ball up on a 3+ and have negative passing modifiers. So they really arent great at getting loose balls and then getting the ball back in to saftey. Also on Ogre teams if you use your snotlings as ball handlers then you are asking for trouble. The ogres are the ball carriers and the snotlings are just there to foul. Get in the way and for throwing in the last turn of the half if the opportunity arises.

But I have changed the Treekin now so they have general access and a negatrait.

Pagan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Pagan »

As on the last revision I'd think the Treeman should lose Loner. If there is any Treeman who is used to playing with a team, it better damn well be the Treeman on the Dryad team.

That would always bug me if a Halfling tree didn't have loner and a Dryad tree did.