Slann Team: Catchers & Krox

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Glowworm

Slann Team: Catchers & Krox

Post by Glowworm »

Hi All,
Having just got my Rolljordan "frogs" and Taxi Toad back from Cornish Mikey (and a big thanks to him for a brilliant job in a short time) i thought Id share the following observations / ideas....

1. The models.....just great, like Rolljordans stuff, not to "cartoony" and the models look animated, the paintjob by Mikey has enhanced this to great effect. I actually bought the team after seeing Val's (Vimcatt?) at Spiky (Reading) I believe his where painted by Mikey. i have never played with or against Slann so maybe this will be way off mark however...

The Krox....just doesnt feel right, maybe a different (new) big guy, or is one really necessary? having "cut my teeth" on Dark Elves Im used to no big guy or indeed St access on normal rolls. Before the masses point out AV8 / AG8 on the D/E's yes i know,however thier Lino's are 10k more, Blitzers 10k less!!

So you get the same number of blitzers, (slightly) cheaper lino's and dedicated catchers.

My point is can a Slann team survive without the Krox muscle or is he there to do the same job as a treeman on a woodelf team?

The other issue with the Krox is the skills dont fit with the "every starting skill is a Jump / Leap reference" as mentioned in the (excellent) Three dice block episode, I understand that the Krox is the odd one out but surely the theme could have been extended to every team member. I do understand this would require a new big guy but why not? at least we could get a big guy who wasnt like any other,most big guys are pretty same old same old, road block muscle.

The catchers.....love 'em. Can I have 4? yes i can! Thats great, however ST2 not so hot but I'll live with it for 2+ leaps, just one question...(Maybe for Tom)

Why not give them horns? (Horned frogs) ST3 on the blitz is great but not to overpowering IMO for this team anyway, also from a theme perspective it fits nicely. Cost maybe 10k more? Before anyone asks, NO, they wouldnt get Mutation access!!

I hope this doesnt seem like a rant, it just my observations prior to giving the team a run out, I expect ill get a volley of "try before you cry" responses and maybe they'll be right, however its just the thoughts of someone looking forward to trying what has been described as a " very different style, not bash, not rush" team in the near future.

Okay targets up........fire away

Reason: ''
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: Slann Team: Catchers & Krox

Post by inkpwn »

After watching jamie play I think the slann can play without a krox but you gotta run, throw, jump and pray for your succesfull leaps.
Though I disagree with the horns (horny toads are just lumpy) I think removing the krox, a slight AV increase (7->8) and +1 ST to the catchers could rank the team up there to Delf levels.

Either that or a 20k blitzer reduction, those things wreck your TV.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Woops, a 'horny toad' is a lizard with lumps that look like spikes.
A horned toad has pointy lumps atop its eyes.

I was always a fan of prehensile tongue(tail) as a possible skill on the slann.

Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

I'd say you can live without a Krox on a Slann team, but then I don't think you need a Treeman on a Wood Elf team.

I do however think that a Str boost on the catchers would be way to powerfull. At least now if they want to leap into a cage and blitz the ball carrier they need to take dauntless as well a strip ball to have a good chance of success. I also think the frogs are fine at Av 7.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Didn't think about that, yea ST2 does stop them from being supper cage crackers.

I still think av7 is to low, if you need fluff reason then its because they are so slimy trying to punch them your fist slides and loses some impact. AV8.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Long_Bomb wrote:I'd say you can live without a Krox on a Slann team, .
Is that on an experience team, a new team or any Slann team ?

Long_Bomb wrote: I do however think that a Str boost on the catchers would be way to powerfull. At least now if they want to leap into a cage and blitz the ball carrier they need to take dauntless as well a strip ball to have a good chance of success. I also think the frogs are fine at Av 7.
Horns is not a ST boost as such, its situational, on offence (Blitz) it would make 1 Catchers ST equal to most other players, however once he finished he's back to ST2, so getting the ball and holding onto it would be different problems, if he's leapt into the cage he wont be leaping back out (gone are the multiple leap days) so he's ST2 in the middle of a world of hurt!! I agree that ST3 Catchers would be to powerful (and expensive, no idea what they would cost) but would horns "break" the team?

Im also happy with Av7 (altho I have to figure out how it works, only play Gobbo's at Av7 on a regular basis)

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

I think Slannn are fine as they are, krox is definately needed in big leagues in my experience. Slann are among the squishiest of all races and that added st boost really helps soak up a few blocks each turn.

THe only thing i would consider changing on a slann team is the price of their blitzers. They are good players with very good skill access but they are insanely expensive for a player that starts with no block or dodge.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

glowworm wrote:Why not give them horns? (Horned frogs) ST3 on the blitz is great but not to overpowering IMO for this team anyway, also from a theme perspective it fits nicely. Cost maybe 10k more? Before anyone asks, NO, they wouldnt get Mutation access!!
Are you high?
Guys who can leap into a cage on a 2, and would then get to one die against most ball carriers (And Nuffle help you once they get Wrestle/Strip Ball)?

My admittedly limited experience tells me Slann are just fine as they are.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Let me address these in reverse order.....
Thadrin wrote: Guys who can leap into a cage on a 2, and would then get to one die against most ball carriers (And Nuffle help you once they get Wrestle/Strip Ball)?

My admittedly limited experience tells me Slann are just fine as they are.
With wrestle catcher are 100k, you would have to negate all assists for a 1 die blitz (using horns) strip ball on this piece? probably not (negated by surehands to easily) so lets go with wrestle (more use) and the gods favour you, where does the ball end up? somewhere loose if not caught by a caging player, Catcher 1 cannot have it, he's now prone, Catcher 2 leaps in, sure hands? maybe (its a viable skill) however both pass and NoS are double skills and there are i would think better ones for a Catcher so what does he do if he manages to pick it up? (altho NoS would be a great choice) okay the ball may bounce around and pop free but still.

Wouldnt you love to see the "ST3 (Horns) leaping horned frog of doom" play against your dwarf team just before you destroyed the team (they are all stood next to your players who by some miracle didnt get guard) to negate the assists for the aformentioned block and 1 is even lying down next to your player who will stand up next turn for +1 to any foul attempt......
Thadrin wrote: Are you high?.
Nope, Im at work, which is like being high without the chemically induced bits, time dilates and you get a strange feeling you never want to experience this again :smoking:

i will concede however that "limited experience" is much better than my "No experience" :wink: