knockdown pass

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

cbbakke
Cupcake

knockdown pass

Post by cbbakke »

Really rough draft but in concept it would be a straight str roll. (5 str = 2+, 4 str= 3+). If a ball is thrown over this player. Instead of trying to intercept the ball you jump up and knock it down instead. If the player succeds then the ball scatters once from their square. I would say only one person could attempt this on a throw just like with intercept. If you had two people under the pass bar then the first could try to intercept the ball and if the second player has Knockdown then can try to do that.

optional: if player uses this part of the skill they go prone from jumping so high to try to block the pass.

Secondly if you are next to a player trying to catch the ball you give them an extra -1 to catch the ball (nerves of steel cannot reduce this) because your good at getting yoru hand between the receivers as he tries to catch the ball.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: knockdown pass

Post by inkpwn »

So its volleyball in blood bowl? No thanks. Sorry to sound mean but I like the interception system. Ever tried spiking a america football? It isn't going to work.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

Actually I took this idea from American football. The defensive lineman try to get to the quarterback and if they can't they try to time their jump to knock down the ball when he throws it. Was thinking more that then a volley ball.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

*youtubes* Ah i see. Sorry to say im still not a fan of the idea.

nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

cbbakke wrote:Really rough draft but in concept it would be a straight str roll. (5 str = 2+, 4 str= 3+). If a ball is thrown over this player. Instead of trying to intercept the ball you jump up and knock it down instead. If the player succeds then the ball scatters once from their square. I would say only one person could attempt this on a throw just like with intercept. If you had two people under the pass bar then the first could try to intercept the ball and if the second player has Knockdown then can try to do that.

optional: if player uses this part of the skill they go prone from jumping so high to try to block the pass.

Secondly if you are next to a player trying to catch the ball you give them an extra -1 to catch the ball (nerves of steel cannot reduce this) because your good at getting yoru hand between the receivers as he tries to catch the ball.

Thoughts?
It's an interesting idea.

How about something like: "Tipped Ball". On an accurate pass, the player with the skill makes a roll to tip the ball. If the roll succeeds, it becomes an inaccurate pass. Negated by safe throw. Can be used after Pass Block move. Make it a strength based roll and use the same rules as attempting an interception, but with a -1 modifier instead of -2. +1 for Very Long Legs.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

I like that.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Should be unavailable to stunties. Instead those with The Right Stuff and able to be thrown should be able to take the "interceptor" skill where they are thrown at a flying able in order to do the same ball tipping or interception. Would require a successful TTM followed by a successful "tip ball" or "intercept" roll :orc:

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Speaking as a defensive lineman, I really like this. I dont however like that you got the interception and the knockdown. I think the knockdown should be a replacement for the interception.

I do however think you should be within 3/4 squares of either the receiver or passer, otherwise this really wouldnt work (just thinking how it works in real life, you have to be close to the QB/WR to get your hands up there really).

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

I would agree with the replacment of interception makes sense. I was thinking that one player could not try both but I can see the wisdom of allowing one or the other. I also like the idea of 3 squares movement but at that point wouldn't this be just better to include with pass block?

I also agree that not being able to take it with stunty makess sense, but what if stunty has leap ? :)

nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

Valen wrote:Speaking as a defensive lineman, I really like this. I dont however like that you got the interception and the knockdown. I think the knockdown should be a replacement for the interception.

I do however think you should be within 3/4 squares of either the receiver or passer, otherwise this really wouldnt work (just thinking how it works in real life, you have to be close to the QB/WR to get your hands up there really).

You know...I was thinking that it would be a little redundant, but that's why I went for the accurate>inaccurate. It makes for a different dynamic, and it means you can only try to tip an accurate pass. Really niche skill.

WRT Stunty, I don't see why it should be unavailable. They'll really struggle to tip it, and if it's a strength skill they'd only get it on doubles. Not the best choice IMO.

This is something that would make a good third or fourth skill on a lineman.

Also, in general I am not a big fan of trying to apply physics to Blood Bowl, so I would just let a player in the path of the ball use the skill ;)

nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

cbbakke wrote:I would agree with the replacment of interception makes sense. I was thinking that one player could not try both but I can see the wisdom of allowing one or the other. I also like the idea of 3 squares movement but at that point wouldn't this be just better to include with pass block?

I also agree that not being able to take it with stunty makess sense, but what if stunty has leap ? :)
Right.

Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Oly1987 »

i like the idea to of it as an alternative to interception as it would help more strength based teams (ogres spring to mind). I also like the idea of the player having to be close to attempt this move, like charging them down.

4 catchers and a thrower with hail mary pass, what could possibly go wrong?
nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

Thinking on something that was said earlier....interception is an action, and this is a skill. 2 totally different things. Interception is available to anyone that wants to try it. This is not.

That makes me like the idea even more.

cbbakke
Cupcake

Post by cbbakke »

If it was str based then having it with somebody with stunty would be a bad idea anyways, I thin it was orginally put as more of ajoke though.