A leg up for Ulfwereners

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Oxynot
Veteran
Veteran

A leg up for Ulfwereners

Post by Oxynot »

I'm sharing one idea that I've been mulling over. First up the background and motivation:

Norse are a bashy team that does well in the beginning (mainly due to plenty of Block and decent stats all-around), but drops off later in their career as the limited S access and especially the abundant AV7 makes them especially susceptible to more durable bash teams.

The proposition:

Give Ulfwereners, or Norse Werewolves, if you so prefer, Mutation access on doubles. This would give them a possibility for three Claw players at a late development stage. The fact that the ulfs could only get them on doubles and they lack basic skills would prevent a big boost early in their development.

The goal:

Give Norse a much needed fighting chance at higher TV values against the teams they struggle with the most. They'd still have very limited S access and the ever joyous AV7 situation guaranteeing that they would not lose their glass cannon character.

I'd presume that M access would not be used for much else than Claws, especially as the ulfs desperately need to take other skills as well, Block, Guard, Stand Firm, Mighty Blow to mention a few. It would also move the carebears a bit closer to their cousins, the Necromantic wolves (not a necessity or a motivation, just a sidenote).

What kind of effect would you think this change would have overall?

Reason: ''
Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Re: A leg up for Ulfwereners

Post by Urb »

I don't think norse need a boost whatsoever. Ulfs are a upgrade to begin with and costed appropriately. Not sure mutation access would change much at that and wouldn't follow the norse theme.

If you wanted to give nose a fighting chance in longer leagues I think increasing the cost of blitzers 10k and giving the av8. Still I think this would be straying from the norse concept.

I say leave norse the way they are.

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

Urb wrote:I don't think norse need a boost whatsoever. Ulfs are a upgrade to begin with and costed appropriately. Not sure mutation access would change much at that and wouldn't follow the norse theme.

If you wanted to give nose a fighting chance in longer leagues I think increasing the cost of blitzers 10k and giving the av8. Still I think this would be straying from the norse concept.

I say leave norse the way they are.
I think Mutation Access would be fine, bearing in mind the Norse are from the North of the Warhammer world which screams CHAOS to me.

I'm not saying they definitely need the extra but I think it's fine thematically.

WildDogs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WildDogs »

after Block, any double roll may have an equal chance of Disturbing presence as claw, to slow down the passing games of opponents.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Corvidius wrote:I think Mutation Access would be fine, bearing in mind the Norse are from the North of the Warhammer world which screams CHAOS to me.
Urgh - no thanks. Thankfully Blood bowl has stayed true to the original Norse idea, and not retconned them into Chaos Warrior-wannabes.

(Remembers happy days with his 2nd edition WFB Norse army.)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I wondered why you bought that bestiary D-son. Must be a great nostalgia trip.
I'm all against the mutation idea, there's no reason for it.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Ulfs are awesome! Don't change a thing. Maybe make Berserkers 80k.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

inkpwn wrote:I wondered why you bought that bestiary D-son. Must be a great nostalgia trip.
Cos I'm old, grouchy, and remember when their games were good.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I heard tell of these stange times, when GW games were not complety based around who goes first wins.
Does the norse team even remotely reflect the old GW norse?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Bar the Snow Troll.
No Norse Dwarfs in the team though. :(

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Norse dwarfs you day....did these guys have models?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Yes and yes.
I had 20 of them once, but I swapped them for some Womble Space Marines :cry: :roll: .

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Sorry to hear that man, they look awesome.
Anywhere online where I can get the older rules? Or fan made current rules?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34396670/Warh ... mies-Norse
Along with many others.

White Dwarf 107 had the (1st iirc) army list (ah, back in the day when WD wasn't just a catalogue..).

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Thanks man :) you have made your apprentice very happy.