Suggestion for non-Pact Allies rules

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Krinosy

Suggestion for non-Pact Allies rules

Post by Krinosy »

Just an idea for non-Big Guy allies, reintroducing them into the game on the same level as Big Guy allies, i.e. no re-rolls and with a negative trait (albiet one on a sliding scale to make low cost players more useful than potentially abuse expensive players). This way coaches can get that vaunted Wardancer on their team provided that they're willing to spend an odd 25k average per drive for him.

Allied Players

Each team may hire up to four allied players, but no more than one big guy (or two big guys in the case of Goblin and Halfling teams). The limits on the quantity of individual player types are one quarter that of their race's roster, rounding up. Example: Black Orcs have a Qty. of 0-4 on an Orc team, thus this limit is quartered to 0-1 when being hired as an allied player.

All non-Big Guy allied and players hired through free agency automatically receive the Outcast racial characteristic.

Outcast

Outcast players are naturally not cohesive with their adopted team, and thus may not use team re-rolls. Additionally, roll a D6 before each kick-off for each player with this characteristic. If the roll equal or exceeds the Outcast roll listed in the following table the player can be set up normally, othewise either the team has jeered and rejected the player for the drive or he feels that he is above playing for his team and must be placed in the reserves box for this drive.

Code: Select all

Player          Outcast
Cost            Roll
40,000 or less  2+
50,000-60,000   3+
70,000-80,000   4+
90,000-100,000  5+
110,000+        6+
If an Outcast roll is failed, the player may still be made to play for that drive by paying an Appearance Fee equal to the difference between the result and the required Outcast roll times 10,000gp. Example: A Human Blitzer playing for a Halfling team rolls an Outcast roll of 3 for a particular drive. Since the difference between the result and required roll of 5+ is 2, the Appearance Fee to make the player play for this drive is 20,000gp.

Reason: ''
franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

Well it's allright, but don't you think that you should remove the "no re-rolls" for non-big guy players, if you wish to use the outcast roll.

Otherwise it will get too negative, and nobody wants to buy a ally

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

You need to add to the numbers limit "to a minimum of one" else as you've written it I can only have 1/4 of a wardancer :lol: .

franck_le_grand wrote:Otherwise it will get too negative, and nobody wants to buy a ally
I think thats the general idea.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Krinosy

Post by Krinosy »

Darkson wrote:You need to add to the numbers limit "to a minimum of one" else as you've written it I can only have 1/4 of a wardancer :lol: .
I think I mentioned rounded up there somewhere, though it could be clearer.
franck_le_grand wrote:Otherwise it will get too negative, and nobody wants to buy a ally
Yes, that's the point. If I thought that allies should be an integral part of a team and used by everyone on all teams then yes, they should have access to re-rolls. But I think that they are optional, and that a team without allies should do just as well against a team with allies as it would if it had a couple of allies on its roster. Hence the pain in the arse negatives to them.

This way the only players that would make good use of allies are those that genuinely want to use them - be it for fluff reasons or because they like the miniatures - as opposed to power-gamers looking to pad their squad with players that cover their race's natural disadvantages.

As an aside though, the no-re-roll negative is somewhat alleviated if using the EXP system when the player earns Pro status at 6 EXP. A reward to those that stick with their allies.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Suggestion for non-Pact Allies rules

Post by Darkson »

Krinosy wrote:All non-Big Guy allied and players hired through free agency automatically receive the Outcast racial characteristic.
By this do you mean freebooters (ie freebooting a human blitzer for my human team)? If you do, I'd remove this as the fact these players can't get any better frm SPP's or EXP's seems to be enough of a negitive already.

Otherwise I like these ideas. Maybe with a little bit of tweaking they could be playtested somewhere.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Krinosy wrote:
Darkson wrote:You need to add to the numbers limit "to a minimum of one" else as you've written it I can only have 1/4 of a wardancer :lol: .
I think I mentioned rounded up there somewhere, though it could be clearer.
:oops: Oops, yes you did put it in, I just seen it. I'd still change it to round down to a minimum of 1 though, rather than round up.

Krinosy

Re: Suggestion for non-Pact Allies rules

Post by Krinosy »

Darkson wrote:
Krinosy wrote:All non-Big Guy allied and players hired through free agency automatically receive the Outcast racial characteristic.
By this do you mean freebooters (ie freebooting a human blitzer for my human team)?
By free agency I mean the sometimes irritating practice buying / selling of developed players between teams - penalising such players when they are allowed should encourage coaches to 'build their own'.

Play-testing would be good, but unfortunately I'm not in the position to do any at the moment. Hence the post here!

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Darkson wrote:You need to add to the numbers limit "to a minimum of one" else as you've written it I can only have 1/4 of a wardancer :lol:

I make a quarter of 2 Wardancers 1/2 a Wardancer!! :P :P

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

:oops: Forgot they could have 2. Right, were's those woodie models?

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

How about allies may only be freebooted? Same rules i.e. 1/4 of position quantity rounding up.

If you can only freeboot them they never progress (as well as sucking SPPs from your regular players) and you aren't going to be able to hire one every game.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Krinosy

Freebooting?

Post by Krinosy »

That's also an option, although opposite to penalising players on roster it encourages the hiring of the best of an allied race's players over regular or less skilled positional players. i.e. if choosing to freeboot you'd definitely go for a Wardancer over a lineman, whereas if 'Outcasting' I'd go for a line-elf for the best compromise between ability and manageability.

And well, more Wardancers is just wrong!

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

You need to limit what teams can ally with who as well, can't really see high elves playing on any other team ;]

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Why not just use the ally rules from BBmag1, very simple and straight forward. Only one ally allowed from each race listed as allied races for each team.

GO STAMPEDERS!
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

franck_le_grand wrote:anck_le_grand"]Otherwise it will get too negative, and nobody wants to buy a ally
Yes, that's the point. If I thought that allies should be an integral part of a team and used by everyone on all teams then yes, they should have access to re-rolls. But I think that they are optional, and that a team without allies should do just as well against a team with allies as it would if it had a couple of allies on its roster. Hence the pain in the arse negatives to them.
[/quote]

I don't like ally rules, but these negatives certainly are something that would make people consider twice before hiring one. And the idea behind the negatives is valid - allies should be an option, not something that every team must have in order to be competitive.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Yer i hate allys i don't want them in the official rules, they throw up all sort of balence problems, not to mention adding more beardyness.