Need a method to Tie Break

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

harroguk
Veteran
Veteran

Need a method to Tie Break

Post by harroguk »

I recently ran a KO tournament and had a few objections against the penalties system I used to break ties.

Does anyone have a tie-break method that...
  • a> Doesn't boil down to the flip of a coin (Heads Player #1 wins, Tails Player #2 wins) as I feel this devalues the match just played.

b> Doesn't take the extra time to play through that Overtime does, as time is at a premium in tournaments where you have to get through 3-4 games in a day.
Thanks

Harroguk

Reason: ''
Commisioner (Retired) of - DBBL in Daventry
Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Need a method to Tie Break

Post by Corvidius »

harroguk wrote:I recently ran a KO tournament and had a few objections against the penalties system I used to break ties.

Does anyone have a tie-break method that...
  • a> Doesn't boil down to the flip of a coin (Heads Player #1 wins, Tails Player #2 wins) as I feel this devalues the match just played.

b> Doesn't take the extra time to play through that Overtime does, as time is at a premium in tournaments where you have to get through 3-4 games in a day.
Thanks

Harroguk
I'd say roll a dice for every player on your team (still available to play) and roll a flat agility test for them for every success you get a point. While it favours the Ag4 getting a 3+ rather than a 4 plus the bash teams should have more healthy players.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Is it a league tournament or an open tournament? If it's a postseason job or some other league-based tournament, you can break ties with seeding; the lower-seeded team must win. If it's an open tournament, no such luck.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

A football style penalty shoot out. Each team gets 5 goes. If they roll a 3+ then the kick is successful (any remaining RR can be used on the pens?). If scores are tied after 5 goes each it is sudden death.

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
harroguk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harroguk »

Leipziger wrote:A football style penalty shoot out. Each team gets 5 goes. If they roll a 3+ then the kick is successful (any remaining RR can be used on the pens?). If scores are tied after 5 goes each it is sudden death.
Unfortunately this system still really boils down to 1-3 player 1 wins, 4-6 player 2 wins just with a couple more dice rolls.

Currently I'm looking at an ice honey based system where 2 players from each team face off against each other in consecutive drives until one team fails to score.

I have a couple of concerns though, is it biased to AH teams with so few players on the pitch and will it take as much time as overtime to play out?

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

Combine all 3.

Pick 5 players. Each player may try to score once and try to sack once. Roll an Agility test to try to score - 3 plus for Ag 4 players.

To block a successful score (player designated before score roll) a St 3 player must roll a 6, st 4 a 5 and so on.

Kick skill would let you reroll the score dice whereas Tackle would let you reroll the block attempt. Pro would let you reroll both but only if you make the Pro roll. Team rerolls can be used as normal and negative traits ignored.

Less a random dice roll and more back and forward decision making but because it's not too many dice rolls it'll be fairly quick.

I'm not a maths wiz but it seems reasonably balanced although raising the number of players involved would probably help.

The back and forth of the dice should leave room for some excitement as what's most unsatisfying about the coin flip is it has no back and forth, imo.

dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

Corvidius wrote:Combine all 3.

Pick 5 players. Each player may try to score once and try to sack once. Roll an Agility test to try to score - 3 plus for Ag 4 players.

To block a successful score (player designated before score roll) a St 3 player must roll a 6, st 4 a 5 and so on.

Kick skill would let you reroll the score dice whereas Tackle would let you reroll the block attempt. Pro would let you reroll both but only if you make the Pro roll. Team rerolls can be used as normal and negative traits ignored.

Less a random dice roll and more back and forward decision making but because it's not too many dice rolls it'll be fairly quick.

I'm not a maths wiz but it seems reasonably balanced although raising the number of players involved would probably help.

The back and forth of the dice should leave room for some excitement as what's most unsatisfying about the coin flip is it has no back and forth, imo.

Actually, that sounds kind of fun :)

It's like paper-rock-scissors, but with a bit of randomness. It would be interesting to see the math behind it.

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
harroguk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harroguk »

So far the idea worked through is
Penalties replacement wrote:
  • When the final whistle goes at the end of the game, each coach must select the following from his current on-field pieces and reserves (not K.O'd, Injured or Sent off)

5 models to act as Penalty Kickers
    1 model to act as a Keeper.

Teams toss a coin to decide who goes first. That coach then selects a model to take the first kick and follows the following procedure:
  • If that model has Bonehad, Bloodlust, Really Stupid, Wild Animal or Take Root then they roll a D6. On a 1 that model automatically misses the kick.
  • Otherwise, the Kicking Coach rolls a D6 and adds the model's ST stat. (If the model has kick skill, they may roll 2D6 instead)
  • The Keeper Coach then rolls a D6 and adds the Keeper model's AG stat. (Stunty offers a -1 and Titchy a -2 penalty to AG for Keeping. If the keeper has Kickoff-Return skill they may +1 to their result)
  • If the Kicker's final total is equal to or greater than the Keeper's total, then a GOAL is scored.

Rolls are now reversed and repeated after each kick until 5 penalty kicks have been taken by both sides. The team with the most GOALS is the winner.

If it is still a draw after 5 Kicks then it is sudden death. Proceed though your kickers again (with a -1 penalty to kick for each previous kick a player has taken) until one person scores and the other misses.

NOTE: The Keeper may not also be a Kicker. The Keeper will tend goal for ALL 5 penalties.
Still working out the details for the Ice Hockey Face-Off System.