Is the Apothecary the Problem?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Is the Apothecary the Problem?

Post by Smurf »

After several posts about Over Time, conceeding, coupled with MVPs etc.

Is the LRB6 Apothecary rules too 'decided now'! Whilst the more insurance policy the Apoth had in 3rd ed was 2+ you ok.

I have had games where 3 of 5 injuries were killed or beyond repair and used the apoth on the good one, IIRC the 5th had a niggling injury.

But to mix the to Apoth rules together. You can use it in a 3rd ed way at the end of the match!

This allows for attrition.

However doing this I saw a problem. The only dude who gets hurt on turn 1 gets saved (although I have seen a coach roll 1s twice for two apothacaries to save 2 players). So elect MVP rule, nominate players and your opponent elects them.

For some reason all the coaches in the league accept Overtime to determine a winner. May be it is because they enjoy the game.

After the mega league finishes, I will go back and play LRB6 RAW... Me thinks a lot of MVP + throw ball will help a lot of teams and would like to see it work. IMO I noticed that on my PSP and found it amusing how quickly skilled the team became.

Over 20 games how many players should a team have lost? My WE team has lost 8 so far and are struggling to get money and get a replacement where the league has become a blood fest at the high TV end.

Reason: ''
The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Is the Apothecary the Problem?

Post by Urb »

Not sure there are "problems" with the game. Perhaps some of the rules do not favor everyones liking. I can sympathize when someone loses a star player cause they already used thier apoth earlier but isn't this a fundamental of the game? Failed actions that happen now and not the end of turn or game? To me that just one of the challenging decisions to make as you play the game. As you stated attrition. Just part of the game as it should be.

I have to admit I do not like the current MVP rules. Once again not sure it should be up to the opposing coach to decide. Without question that leaves the option for unsportsmanlike conduct for the opposing coaches and the truth is if it can be done it will be. Same goes for the teams coach picking. Not a good thing. No real answer although there are options. House rules for now I guess.

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Urb wrote:I have to admit I do not like the current MVP rules. Once again not sure it should be up to the opposing coach to decide. Without question that leaves the option for unsportsmanlike conduct for the opposing coaches and the truth is if it can be done it will be. Same goes for the teams coach picking. Not a good thing. No real answer although there are options. House rules for now I guess.
???

The current MVP rule is random, same as it's always been.
Are you sure you weren't looking at the optional house rules section?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Urb »

Right, it's the same and I've never liked that players that don't do anything all game have the opportunity to earn the mvp. I don't have a good solution though. :oops:

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

Urb wrote:Right, it's the same and I've never liked that players that don't do anything all game have the opportunity to earn the mvp. I don't have a good solution though. :oops:
I see that as part of Blood Bowls humour. The crowd is always fickle in their actions.

Praise Nuffle!
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

How about a change for the apoth then? One that could impact the claw debate

A team doctor should be available for more than one attempt...

You don't want this to be as available as regen so make it

5+ and can be used throughout the match with same process as current rules
So Can still apoth crowd injuries
Can heal one post match injury on a 2+ (no previous attempts allowed on that player) as now is able to focus.

Cost 100k

Or

Have an apothecary scale as per the old mbbl2 rules

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

duckwing wrote:
Urb wrote:Right, it's the same and I've never liked that players that don't do anything all game have the opportunity to earn the mvp. I don't have a good solution though. :oops:
I see that as part of Blood Bowls humour. The crowd is always fickle in their actions.
The fine line between humour and playability. When the MVP goes to a bench sitter and next game he throws the ball... skill up.

Whereas on one occasion: My WD with side step kept base to base contact with some Norse. 3 players and 5 blocks later the Norse Double Skulls, the WD had enough playing around... He was nominated for MVP and my opponent chose him for sheer bravadoism.

Or MVP for the minotaur that scores a TD, needed clever pushback and a cool blitz to achieve. But Daisy scored! Again selected for MVP and opponent chose it because 'big guys hardly ever score'.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

The apo is okay though does need a bit of fine tuning IMO, it is best used on bringing backgood BH players now - because that always works. The problem is the balance with regen is a little off (regen now being too good in comparison).

One thing I have been thinking recently is - if the apo worked (you pass the roll) then it keeps the player on the field like in previous editions (stunned if used on anything other than KO and prone when used on a KO'd player would be my preference).

That would bring the balance back in line with regen (regen players still going to the box) a bit more and it would also help a lot more when facing ClawPOMB teams for a couple of reasons. First it means you would get a chance at keeping a player on the filed. Secondly it would make wandering apothecaries a better value inducement against killer teams.