strip ball mechanic

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

talonz
Rookie
Rookie

strip ball mechanic

Post by talonz »

I find it very odd that a ball carrier always has an iron grip on the ball when pushed about and yet automatically loses it against strip ball blockers, when this is simply not true in real life football (and yes I realize the irony of using rl arguments in regards to a fantasy football game, lets skip that argument please!).

So I would propose the following; any player can be stripped of the ball when he is pushed by any opponent, this only ocurrs if the blocker rolls a 6+ on a single d6 roll. If the blocker has the strip ball skill, add 2 to the roll (so that the ball will pop loose half of the time against strip ballers). A ball carrier with tentacles subtracts 1 from the dieroll on strip ball tests. This roll can be rerolled by the blocking player as normal.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
Buggrit
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: strip ball mechanic

Post by Buggrit »

talonz wrote: Thoughts?
Carry the ball with a Sure Hands Player...

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

The strip ball influence on a game is to force a team to think who carries the ball and spend a skill on those that do it a lot to protect it. You could almost argue it's not effective enough as it's nullified by Sure Hands.

The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Proud Owner of the TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36011
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Indeed.
It would be neat if a stripped ball bounced twice (optional on a knockdown).
That way the ball wouldn't always end up in a TZ, where it can be tricky to extract.

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

the only trouble is for the lizardmen (if you only look at Tier1 team) because sure hands isn't an option until you roll a double.

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

Greyhound wrote:the only trouble is for the lizardmen (if you only look at Tier1 team) because sure hands isn't an option until you roll a double.
True enough, but they do get a whole bunch of highly mobile, hard hitting players and speedy stunties and probably the best big guy in the game. They need some problems :)

The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Proud Owner of the TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36011
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

TalonBay wrote:True enough, but they do get a whole bunch of highly mobile, hard hitting players and speedy stunties and probably the best big guy in the game. They need some problems :)
Agreed and I don't rate strip ball highly (I actually think it's crap) it's just against Wood elves that I have an issue, a strip ball wardancer always manage to roll his 3+ leap and POP. There is little I can do about it, but c'est la vie. I wasn't really defending the OP, I was just counter-arguing that it can easily be negated with a skill, that skill isn't on tap for everyone.

talonz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by talonz »

Some of you are still missing the point...

1)without skills, the ball is never stripped.
2)with strip ball, the ball is always stripped, unless;
3)with sure hands, the ball is never stripped.

With so many crashing bodies, flailing arms, and a ball not designed for easy carrying, 'never' should never be used, except perhaps with a skilled ball carrier versus a nonskilled blocker.

Sure hands should provide a -1 to the die roll to stripball just like tentacles, so that he will keep the ball against vanilla blockers but face a lesser chance of being stripped against stripballers (instead of flat out negating the skill).

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

This appears to be a fluff vs gameplay argument. Gameplay wins those every time.

What are the consequences of the ball being knocked free more often? Many more pickup rolls.
What is the consequence of many more pickup rolls? AG4 teams gain advantage, AG2 teams (Khemri, many dwarves, some Orcs) receive a nerf.
Do AG4 teams need a boost and AG2 teams need a nerf? No.
Should the mechanic be changed? No.

talonz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by talonz »

Interesting analysis dode, especially as I think ag4 teams do need a nerf. Im frustrated slightly that they get multiple chances to move the ball and yet bashers only get one blitz.

So would your opinion change (getting slightly off track here but....) if teams couldnt both handoff and pass in the same turn anymore? This is the biggest threat ag4 teams have, covering almost the entire pitch at times end to end in a single turn, aided by their high ag. A handoff is a pass frankly, and should be counted as such.

Another way to address ag4 ball carriers would be additional blitzs. The only way I could see this happening is to revise juggernaught to provide that though.

Or if pickups are the issue as you put forth, change the pickup rules. I find it stupid to begin with that I can chase the ball around for multiple turns, causing turnovers each time. Perhaps thats the issue...dont cause a turnover on a failed pickup! Silly rule anyways. Or ignore the first failed pickup for the turnover rule as a compromise.

Anyways, thinking outloud...

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

How about this:

If the defender had dodge and the block result is Defender Stumbles then the ball is stripped. If the defender has dodge and sure hands then the ball is not stripped unless the attacker has strip ball.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Talonz,
in a well played bash game the AG4 team has the ball for 2 turns, and the bashers has it for 15.
Doesn't give them many chances to "cover the whole pitch".

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Anything which makes the ball fall more freely will help the AG4 and high MA teams. Skaven are the archetypal "punish the error" team, where any dropped ball is at risk to the Big Hand player taking it from under the opposition nose and handing off to another MA9 rat who takes the ball out of range.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I wanna go on record saying I don't think Strip Ball needs "fixing" in any way! It's a good skill that punishes certain teams for not investing in Sure Hands! It's not overpowered, it's not underpowered, it's just one of many avenues for a team's "toolbox" sacker skills.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.