Werewolf team

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Re: Werewolf team

Post by Shteve0 »

Im not sure it is great design. You're basically saying they have recently and av8 from the start, except against crowd pushes, stab, weapons? And self inflicted injuries?

Reason: ''
League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Bakunin wrote: The player remains in Werewolf form until the half ends.
how do you choose the end of effects ?
why not "end of the drive" ?
so, it's mean, if one of those Lycanthrope is knowned down during a crownd push, if the drive ends before the end of the drive, he might come back on the pitch (for the new drive) as werewolf?

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Bakunin wrote:All players have an Norse statline, block skill and Exceptional Skill "Lycanthropy"

0-16 Lycanthrope - 6 3 3 7 Block, Lycanthropy GA/SP 80k
60k rerolls
no apo

Lycanthropy:
When this player is knocked down by an opponent as part of an block action, this player changes into his Werewolf form and gains +2 MV, +1 AV, Claws, Frenzy, Regeneration.
The player remains in Werewolf form until the half ends.
other question:
what a Lycanthrope having learned the skill Grab?

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

how about,
but loses all other skills learned?
massive drawback, but then the statline could be better

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

It's not my roster of course, however I don't really understand any of the critical responses.......I think if they were reworded?

As I understand it; the players would have AV7 when knocked over. This then leads to them becoming incensed and changing form. So you have that choice, do you risk being knocked over with AV7 (if you roll a both down) or do you stay on your feet.

I've played a lot of Norse and the value of a vanilla lino on his feet is high. It's never going to be a clear cut choice. I also don't see this roster as being overpowered and I think 2 choice rosters (lizards/Vamps) play nicely.

The biggest problem for me would be the block skill. You'd want this on your wolves.............so you'd like to gain it on a skill up....however the standard lino already has it.......that's a problem.

Regarding Grab, you cannot have grab and frenzy together (as you may know). So either he can never take it, or loses it in wolf form. Neither is much of an issue as I cannot see any situation where it would be a double choice for a Norse lino.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

If av8 kicks in when you're knocked over, it would be in effect for the armour roll. If that's not the intended reading then its a wording issue

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Knocked over is a finished action. If the player has been knocked over, then have to make an armour roll. So he would make an armour roll as the player that was knocked over. The wording for me separates it into 2 parts. The knocked down player (finish) and the changing player (happening). So probably needs a clarification, however the wording to me (and what would be better rulewise) is that the AV7 player makes AV and injury rolls.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Knocked Down is separate from the armour roll, so as it's worded now, the player would become AV8 (and Regen) before the opposing coach got to roll for AV break.

It would need to be reworded as (or somesuch):
"If this player is knocked down by an opponent as part of an block action, after any Armour/Injury roll this player changes into his Werewolf form and gains +2 MV, +1 AV, Claws, Frenzy, Regeneration.

That said, even with this change I still don't like think it's a good version.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Nice you guys are liking the anti-blocking werewolf team.
Darkson wrote:Knocked Down is separate from the armour roll, so as it's worded now, the player would become AV8 (and Regen) before the opposing coach got to roll for AV break.

It would need to be reworded as (or somesuch):
"If this player is knocked down by an opponent as part of an block action, after any Armour/Injury roll this player changes into his Werewolf form and gains +2 MV, +1 AV, Claws, Frenzy, Regeneration.

That said, even with this change I still don't like think it's a good version.
This.
I would Reword it like this:

"If this player is knocked down by an opponent as part of an block action, after any Armour/Injury roll this player changes into his Werewolf form and gains +2 MV, +1 AV, Claws, Frenzy, Regeneration. A player with Lycanthropy, can never learn the grab skill."
The player remains in Werewolf form until the Drive/Half/etc ends [this would need playtesting]

So you have a team made up of Norse linemen types that are werewolfs disguised. They are norse linemen (except for the A access) when they go down at AV7, no regen. When they change they keep all their skills and therefore from start becomes werewolfs with block.

So their only gimic is that, when people are playing against werewolf team, they have to think about how much blocking they want to do. If you dont take av7 player of the pitch, the player will stand up with +2mv, claws etc, and be great.
So do you really want to block the 3 players on the line of line of scrimmage, if you are not playing a bash team (and even if)???
So hopefully it would be something blood bowl is missing.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

The point of the team is to remake the old 2nd edition werewolf (as the underworld remake), where you could lay your guys down on the pitch and they would turn into a wolf. I find this underpowered, so I changed it, to a reaction to blocking.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

I played the 2nd ed WW roster a bit....between 5 and 10 times for and against and it was terrible. This is much better. You didn't get close matches with it. Either the opposing team scored early or the WW plan worked and slowly overpowered the other team. No 8 turn drives in those days. We tried to make a version for FUMBBL custom league....very difficult though with a client. I think this is better than our ideas though.

You still need to address the block issue. It would be a main skill for the wolves, but already on the Norse. I guess you could take wrestle.....or maybe half the TV cost if you took it as a skill. It's a bit messy though and giving the WW block to start is overpowered.

The tactical play of this roster wouldn't be 'do you decided to knock the opposing player down or not'. With AV 7 you would every time. It's whether the WW team would use the block skill to keep a player up or not. With the LoS mostly no. However other blocks you would far more often..........particularly if they have skills.

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Some thoughts:

1) For the ideas suggesting were-cats, maybe switch to were-rats? Would make sourcing miniatures much easier, because you could use Skaven.
2) In 2nd Ed, players had to spend a turn on the ground to transform. I've seen some suggestions here about a roll to transform any time you are prone, but that seems a little overpowered. How about a 4+ roll to transform when prone, but give players a +2 bonus if they use a "Transform" action and lay themselves prone the turn before? This would mimic the 2nd ed fluff.
3) Revert to human form at the end of each drive or on a roll of 1 at activation (or both)? Would be a balancing mechanism if you have to declare your action (say a blitz) and then revert back into your human form before you carry it out.

I like the idea of having a single Were-Bear on the team who starts of as a ST3 dude but converts to a slower ST5 lycanthrope.

Milo

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

One big difference is the power of 2nd ed WW and 3rd ed + WW. The 2nd ed player would be unbalanced......well it was unbalanced then.