Presenting: Waldgiest

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Presenting: Waldgiest

Post by legowarrior »

I wanted to show my newest musing to the people of Talkfantasyfootball. All comments are tolerated and most will be welcomed (I don't want to lie, some comments just hurt... but if it is about the team concept, I want to hear them anyway).

So, I present the Waldgiest or 'spirits of the woods'.

0-16 Redcaps - 5/1/3/7 - Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Titchy, Stab - A/GSP - 40K

0-6 Dryads - 5/3/3/8 - Side Step, Thick Skull - GA/SP - 80K

0-2 Treekin - 3/5/1/8 - Thick Skull, Disturbing Presence, Frenzy, Might Blow - S/GAP - 110K

0-1 Treeman 2/6/1/10 - Loner, Might Blow, Thick Skull, Take Root, Throw Team Mate, Stand Firm, Strong Arm - 120K
Reroll 70K

Redcaps - The redcaps little evil fae often confused with tiny goblins with knifes. They always carry knives! The team will always have a few on the field, and they are trouble makers. Being stunty and titchy means they can get to anyone, and with stab, there is always a small chance of hurting someone on the field. They are also your 1 turn scorer in a bind. The downside of the Redcaps is that they drop like flies on the field. Almost everyone will 3 die block them given a chance, and without block, they will go down. They are rather slow, and a the same price as your thrall or goblin, both of which are much better than the redcaps on defense.

Dryads - the work horse of the team. On offense, the dryads will be the ball handler, although without any speed or skills to help them in this role. Thick Skull will help them survive the beatings they will get, but until they pick up Block and Dodge, don't expect much from them. Much of your cage will be formed by dryads, since side step will allow you to hold off many opponents.
On defense, the dryads will probably be your living road block, falling in front of the opposing team, slowing progress. If you get lucky, side step might allow them to move right next to the ball handler.

Treekin - Although similar looking to the treeman, treekin are actually spirits that briefly inhabit dead trees. With Frenzy and Mighty blow, they are good at punching holes in to the defense line for the dryads to move through, but will be unlikely to assist much more then that with 3 movement. On defense, there job will be to strike down cages if they can get close, or cut off areas of the field if they can't.

Treeman - He is the wall.

Reason: ''
Raziel_Spry
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Presenting: Waldgiest

Post by Raziel_Spry »

Hmm. That's a lot of stab. And the first skills for all those nasty little buggers (for me anyway) would be Sidestep and Jump Up. They will deal out the pain for low armoured blodgers.

I think 0-16 stab is too much, and I think that the 3 big guys might be a problem too.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I'd consider the following revisions:

Treekin - 3/5/1/9 remove disturbing presence and add take root because ST5+ characters should get negatraits (except for mummies, I know).

Dryads - 4/4/2/8 - Should only allow 0-4 of these.

Redcaps - should be 5/1/3/5 - add side step and it feels like secret weapon should be in there with all that stab - lower to 30k

If you did that I'd let you play test them on my table. :wink:

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

I actually like this team for the most part.

A few changes:
1) Make AV 6 on the little guys, change value to 30k

2) 0-4 for the dryads

3) Give Treekin Take Root and remove either Mighty Blow or Disturbing Presence. I would remove Mighty Blow. Stat Line 3528

4) Give them a cool story for why they are taking to the Blood Bowl pitch and also change the race name, Waldgiest is just too foreign. How about Forest Spirits.

5) Lower the reroll to 60k.

the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

Wow wow wow!

seriously, this seems waaay too good to me :o
If possible I would play them anyday :D

I mean : you have 2 frenzy DP mummies + 1 treeman, and 6 ST3 players.
That makes 9...

On top of that, your 2 other players are ST1, but get stab, and no secret weapon.

That being said, I really like the idea, and some nerfs could make it a nice team! I like the flavour of it :)

I would say it could go like :

0-16 Redcaps - 5/1/3/6 - Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Titchy - A/GSP - 30K Removed Stab

0-2 Redcap Assassins - 5/1/3/6 - Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Titchy Stab Secret Weapon - A/GSP - 50K

0-4 Dryads - 6/3/3/8 - Side Step, Thick Skull - GA/SP - 80K (not sure about the MV6, but Dryads aren't supposed to be slow in my mind)

0-2 Treekin - 2/5/1/9 - Thick Skull, Disturbing Presence, Might Blow - S/GAP - 110K MV2 can be considered a negatrait in itself. Removed Frenzy (too much)

0-1 Treeman 2/6/1/10 - Loner, Might Blow, Thick Skull, Take Root, Throw Team Mate, Stand Firm, Strong Arm - 120K
Reroll 60K

What do you think?

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

It's been a while since I revisited this team. A lot of comments so far.

An alternative team was

0-16 Redcaps - 6/1/3/6 - Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Titchy, Stab - 40K
0-6 Trolls - 4/5/1/9 - Loner, Always Hungry, Mighty Blow, Really Stupid, Regeneration, Throw Team Mate

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

The "Dodge, Stunty, Titchy, Stab" combo should NEVER be allowed, especially on a 40k 0-16 player. No ball carrier cannot ba safe against that.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

On the other hand, who would you give the ball too?

the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

Kort wrote:The "Dodge, Stunty, Titchy, Stab" combo should NEVER be allowed, especially on a 40k 0-16 player. No ball carrier cannot ba safe against that.
except any AV9 ball carrier ^.^
He's got the same chance to stay on his feet as a blodge player on a 1-die block without skills.
Not that bad, isn't it? A strip ball WD is much much worse

But note I suggested limiting to 0-2 and giving SW :)

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

the.tok wrote:
Kort wrote:The "Dodge, Stunty, Titchy, Stab" combo should NEVER be allowed, especially on a 40k 0-16 player. No ball carrier cannot ba safe against that.
except any AV9 ball carrier ^.^
He's got the same chance to stay on his feet as a blodge player on a 1-die block without skills.
Not that bad, isn't it? A strip ball WD is much much worse
:orc: Except that the titchy player dodge into the cage at 2+ (with Dodge rr. Better than ag5+Leap!), and the stab attack don't imply the risk of a turnover, nor suffer from defensive assist, etc, etc

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

Exactly what MKL says. It might be ok as a house rule but it is not a good idea for a new concept since it makes positioning almost irrelevant.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

It seems pretty well balanced by low armor and 1 strength. Each one is a punching bag for the other team.