Skill for making strength higher when being blocked

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Skill for making strength higher when being blocked

Post by Chris »

Description
Through a combination of deft manouvers, redirection of force, cunningly designed armour and stamping on toes this player can even the odds when attacked on the blood bowl field.

Effect-
When this player is blocked they may choose to use this skill to have their strength count as 3.

Category-
I would have thought General otherwise big boost for stunties. Could be strength making it a doubles choice for most non stunty players as well (catchers, gutter runners, injured stars). (If a strength skill could be a straight +1 to str when being blocked, though I recognise this is very very powerful.)

Discounted
May count strength as equal to model blocking it as too powerful and awkward to overcome.
+1 str as could make many models be unblockable by most players (assumes this is a general skill).

Name?
Defend, oppose, parry, repel, resist, safeguard, screen, shield, deflect, avert, divert, parry, sidetrack.
No idea :)

Reason: ''
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Skill for making strength higher when being blocked

Post by dode74 »

It'd be a direct opposite of Horns. Not sure if I like the idea or the implications though - it could make for some pretty static games, especially with Dwarves.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Well, not quite horns (unless you have the more powerful version - I prefer the straight increase to str 3 when defending, could also make it only usable once per turn).

Surely dwarves would be one of the easist teams to overcome the skill? With all the guard they get a str3 block dodge whatever-this-skill-is-called player is not much of a problem. It will be a second skill at best for low strength players (if its not a starting skill on a player like a human catcher).

I think it would be an interesting choice. Assume its the weakest version - strength skill making your strength count as 3 when blocked. A stunty on a double would probably prefer block (or sure hands/whatever), but as a second double this would be interesting. A gutter runner would have to choose between a mutation or guard and this skill making it by no means a no brainer.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

It's kind of like a reverse Dauntless which isn't too terrible. I think a similar mechanic would work for it, otherwise it's a first double choice for Snotlings. :)

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I thought of that - however that does mean you have the chance to shrug off big guys. Is that not too strong?

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

Chris wrote:I thought of that - however that does mean you have the chance to shrug off big guys. Is that not too strong?
A St3 guy v a Big guy would need a 3+ without a reroll (cause it's in the opponents turn) unless he had pro. Not terrible but still makes it a useful skill for non St2 or less players.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Yes but now a gutter runner or similar would need a 4+ (50%) to equal a strength 5 chap. Just strikes me as a bit much, though I recognise it is more widely attractive as a skill in this form.

An alternative is make a dice roll, get +1 to your strength, though this is potentially even better!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Perhaps it only works when the player is Blitzed?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Oly1987 »

I kinda like the idea of a reverse dauntless it being a 4+ to be equal strength to the person blitzing that would mean they would have to provide an assist for a 2db

4 catchers and a thrower with hail mary pass, what could possibly go wrong?
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

When being blitzed is interesting as these chaps aren't linemen - clearly they trip them up on the way in :)