Passing - a change

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Passing - a change

Post by dode74 »

DoubleSkulls wrote:This isn't a serious proposal... just random musings. I suspect the real answer is making a running game less reliable for scoring, so passing is a relatively more successful technique.
That is, indeed, the converse approach. It would also resolve garion's issues, which might actually make it more appealing. I'll have a think...

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

-1 ST if carrying the ball.
Then add a Agility skill, Stiff Arm that negates this penalty.

Helps, as throws often end in an immediate score (or at least a turn out of range of the opposition), as opposed to running plays.

Also nerfs stalling a little, and boosts snotlings a touch (completely incidental!).

Downsides: hits stunty teams (including lizzies), and Khemri. Dwarfs as well, though they can build to pass (not optimal - boo hoo hoo(!) ).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

garion wrote:Rather than making caging more difficult would a simpler way of approaching this not be to make hand offs more difficult maybe?
My concern is that if you make Handoffs less reliable you may get more passes (because the odds are better) but people passing 1 square instead of handing off isn't the result we are after right? We actually want people not only to be making more passes, but making longer ones.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

DoubleSkulls wrote:
garion wrote:Rather than making caging more difficult would a simpler way of approaching this not be to make hand offs more difficult maybe?
My concern is that if you make Handoffs less reliable you may get more passes (because the odds are better) but people passing 1 square instead of handing off isn't the result we are after right? We actually want people not only to be making more passes, but making longer ones.
aye, true. I think we all know simultaneous turns is the real answer to this conundrum ;)

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Darkson wrote:-1 ST if carrying the ball.
Then add a Agility skill, Stiff Arm that negates this penalty.

Helps, as throws often end in an immediate score (or at least a turn out of range of the opposition), as opposed to running plays.

Also nerfs stalling a little, and boosts snotlings a touch (completely incidental!).

Downsides: hits stunty teams (including lizzies), and Khemri. Dwarfs as well, though they can build to pass (not optimal - boo hoo hoo(!) ).
Seems like a very simple fix. It would be interesting to see how much more passing TDs get added as a consequence. You could just give the stunty teams stiff arm.

I can actually see an argument for making Stiff Arm a Passing Skill rather than AG, particularly if Stunties get it automatically. That makes it less problematic for Khemri/Dwarves. Undead & Necros clearly suffer since their ghouls can't get it easily. Another downside is that its another skill that throwers may take ahead of accurate/pass/strong arm.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

To be honest, there was very little thought put into my post. It was very much a "popped into my head" thing. :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

We have always played it:

Declare Pass
Move and line up ruler
Move Pass Blockers
Throw Pass and Catch
Roll to intercept
Roll to Safe Throw

The idea was to see great passes denied, the suspense was more fun. Of course the interceptions can be denied too, double othe suspense for more fun.

I think it beats I want to pass, throw to intercept, play on etc. The Throw could be flubbed, which adds to the excitment.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

-ST seems a little harsh still. GR will end up with ST1 and get 3Die blocked all the time. Though the idea is tempting.
What about block not being useable when carrying the ball?

It would hurt runners more than throwers, and as a side effect doesn't really affect stunties :wink:

alternatively, the both-down result could be treated as such a violent shock that you have to let the ball go...
It would make sense too, sometimes you can be hit hard enough that you stumble but not enough to fall down either
You could do the same for dodge if that is not enough. That means it is much harder to suffer a block and keep hands on the ball.

Surehands could negate this... but would be cancelled by strip ball :orc:

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Throwing an idea out: Holding the ball negates the block skill if the BC has it.

garion

Post by garion »

dode74 wrote:Throwing an idea out: Holding the ball negates the block skill if the BC has it.
Wrestle already does this.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Maybe instead of all players having the benefits of stunty you could add a new action/skill that would allow players to always dodge on a 4+ through tackle zones. This couldn’t be improved with better AG but could be lowered by DT or tail and dodge wouldn’t re-roll it but team re-rolls and pro would.

You’d just need something to stop elves with dodge waltzing through defences as otherwise it would be impossible to stop them scoring.

*edit*
Mayeb make it a skill called diving spear or something similar. You can move 1 square on a 4+ regadless of tacklezones to blitz a player, but have to go prone (so can't use piling on or grab the ball) no armour roll unless you fail the block on skull/blockless both down.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
garion

Post by garion »

Another way to undo cages (if this is the object here) is to make leap a general skill, or you could allow multiple blitzes a turn - which would certainly lend its self to more passing plays, however this like all the suggestions so far would benefit elves more than any of other races.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

garion wrote:
dode74 wrote:Throwing an idea out: Holding the ball negates the block skill if the BC has it.
Obviously, but only if the blitzing player has it. I'm suggesting that anyone could hit the BC in this manner.

garion

Post by garion »

dode74 wrote:
garion wrote:
Obviously, but only if the blitzing player has it. I'm suggesting that anyone could hit the BC in this manner.
then who would ever take wrestle? it has pretty much become its entire purpose.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Says who? LOS elves and skaven (and, in fact, anyone who has decent MA on the LOS) make good use of it, and it is also very useful for stalling a cage if you're not in a position to break it yet as the cage corners won't want to have the added risk of going prone. It's also a great anti-dwarf skill as the longbeards only get to move 1 after going down.