[Team] a different playstyle

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

I built this team trying to turn the concept of the current teams upside down, and create a new playstile.

I set myself some rules before I started:
- No new skills, only work with current CRP rules
- No AG4 and ST4 on the same roster
- Play with the current stereotype and challenge them where appropriate.

So here we are, the race name, player positional names and fluff are here to make the concept stick and can be completely modified if inapropriate or breaking too much warhammer fluff rules.

Cyclops (0-2) Big Guy/Thrower
These giants are the star of the team, and they are your un-conventional big guys. Size wise, they tower as high as an ogre, and they have the skills of the mummies (no nega-trait). They differ widely from the other big guys in their skill access and the fact that they are not designed for contact (only ST4), and yes they are the thrower on the team.
(0-2) Cyclop 120,000 4 4 2 8 Big hand, Sure Hands, Strong Arm, Pass, Break Tackle, AP, GS
Design Note: these gentle giants may seem hard to blitz at first, but with no access to General or Strength skills they will struggle to get easy Touchdown at first. MV4 is making the running game hazardous, and AG2 will challege the passing game at first. Agility access gives them some protection (dodge, SideStep) and will allow different build to fit different coaches.
How to Skill Up: Several builds are possible, even excluding doubles, from the running type (Dodge, Sure Feet, NOS, Dump Off), to the pure passing style (Accurate, Safe Throw, NOS)

Rock Gnomes (0-16) Linemen
These little stone boulders are very close to their dwarf cousins with one big difference, their tiny size. They are challenging the concept that ST2 players should always be in the cas-bin and must have the dodge skill and AG access
(0-16) Rock Gnomes 60,000 5 2 2 10 Block, stand Firm, Jump Up GS, AP
Design Note: these are the road block who will spend most of their game just standing up, contrary to dwarfs they have nothing to stop the elves and stunties, they are designed to give a hard time to the bash team without Claw access (dwarf, orcs for instance) with the potential to just stand there and jump back up in position.
How to Skill Up: like the dwarfs I expect that Guard will be an obvious first skill, with probably dauntless somewhere close. Really these are not meant to be exeperienced killers, they are annoying road blocks.

Druids (0-4) Blitzers
By now you will probably think that this team is awefully static and even more boring than the dwarfs. That's where the blitzers come to the rescue. They are designed to hunt down the fast teams which will easily dance around the gnomes, and unlike typical blitzers they do not start with Block
(0-4) Druids 80,000 7 3 3 7 Wrestle, Diving Catch GA, SP
Design Note: Modelled on the awesome ghouls, the druids are the blitzers, receivers of the team. Like the ghould they will suffer from attrition. Wrestle is both a good skill and a handicap, the coach can ignore it and take block to had some staying power, or keep it and risk getting the player fouled.
How to Skill Up: too many options, I suppose Dodge will come in fast, then probably catch, or fend depending on the role of each player

-------------
Rerolls: The team is probably very safe with a lot of skils on the players to start with, therefore I think that the RR should be fairly high with 70 or even 80k
Apotecary: This team could do with added challenge, no apotecary, no regen.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Re: [Team] a different playstyle

Post by Greyhound »

I had a weird effect of the screen scrolling up so when typing so I am typing this follow up on a separate window:

The playstyle: I believe that the playstyle will be alike a mix of other teams:
Nurgle: in the fact that this style is stronger in the opponent's turn. Unmovable linos, strong ball carrier, the team will be a headache sometimes to bring down.
Khmeri: Slow throwers with AG2, troubles with picking up the ball, I think some players allergic to the Thro-Ra will hate as much this team.
Dwarf: block/wrestle across the team, strong armour, we have some similarities
Necromantic: useless linos, 4 ghoul like players, 2 strong players, the team will echo necromantics, without the awesome werewolves, and switching the running game for a passing game.

I believe the team is Tier2 ++ maybe even Tier1 and will be a pain (challenge to play with and against), however I don't think it can anihilate the opposition. With St2 linemen, and 4 weak players the whole team depend on, the team has some huge weaknesses.

Furthermore the team will strugle to skill up on the linos and Thrower, while skill retention on the druids is expected to be a problem. Hopefuly this balances the good starting skills.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Surely being cyclops with no depth perception they should have bnehead? :)

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

They suffer with AG2 already, hence why they have trouble picking up the ball and throwing it! :)

You can replace the name cyclop with any large creature who's not a fighting machine but good at throwing stuffs. I tried to put a earth elemental twist to the team.

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

I like it, specially the gnomes..

AV 10, block AND JU, I would like to see he fustration on peoples faces when they get diving Tackle as well!

nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

I mentioned this in another thread for another team invention...Jump Up on a 0-16 player is broken. Even at AG2 the potential for the extra blocks is an enormous benefit against other bashy teams. One of the main ingredients for moving a bushy team down the field is stepping over and around the down players of your opponent without the fear that they are all going to stand up and slap you back.

I would never want to see Jump Up or Prehensile Tail spammed as a team standard skill. One is broken against bash and the other is broken against AG.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I thought about that too, but they are S2, so aren't going to be causing as many issues as a S3 player would.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

DoubleSkulls wrote:I thought about that too, but they are S2, so aren't going to be causing as many issues as a S3 player would.
With GS access they are Guard (one skill) away from the brokenness. No reason to take any other skill as a first skill there.

nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

Just to add...

If you give the Rock Gnomes Stunty, then I think that balances out the Jump Up somewhat because at least there is an increased chance that they will be ko'd when knocked down. I just am not sure how Jump Up even fits the concept.

The rock gnomes as written would have 2 builds that everyone worked towards

Guard, dauntless, mighty blow, piling on
Guard, dauntless, tackle, mighty blow.

the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

nick_nameless wrote:I mentioned this in another thread for another team invention...Jump Up on a 0-16 player is broken. Even at AG2 the potential for the extra blocks is an enormous benefit against other bashy teams.
Have to disagree here.

Francebloodbowl had run a feline team who were like that (from the top of my head, prices could be wrong)

0-16 Lineman 6 3 3 7 JU 60k GA
0-4 Catcher 8 2 3 7 JU dodge 90k GA
0-2 Blitzer 6 3 3 8 JU claw 100k GS
0-1 Big tiger 6 5 2 8 Frenzy WA Loner Shadowing 120k S

It ran a long time in this perpetual open league, and it proved to be underpowered. Quite a lot. Still very fun to play though :D
I have to conceid it was LRB4, but JU has only gotten worse since so... Spammed JU is not a problem, IMO.

A similar team with sidestep was much more dangerous actually :orc:

So just mean to say that there is no way a whole team of JU is broken. It takes several other factors to be, and ST2 AG2 seems like OK to spam it on

Juriel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Juriel »

It's not JU that's broken, it's the G and S access. Hello Dauntless+Guard.

That said, I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of this kind of a team.

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

nick_nameless wrote:
DoubleSkulls wrote:I thought about that too, but they are S2, so aren't going to be causing as many issues as a S3 player would.
With GS access they are Guard (one skill) away from the brokenness. No reason to take any other skill as a first skill there.

Agreed, limit their access to G and give them Stunty.

Also for fun, give them Right Stuff and either create a Star Player with TTM or give TTM to the Rock Throwers.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

I like the list and the idea of a different playstyle. Why Jump Up for the little guys? An agility skill for a rock seems odd. Stand firm for a rock would make sense but they can develop that i guess.

Edit: i'm an idiot, just spotted they have stand firm as well.

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

the idea for Jump Up was to overcome the problem of always starting your turn from the ground. They are meant to be REALLY annoying, and with SF/JU/AV10 I thought they would just be a pain, you knock them down, and they just come back up as if nothing had happenned.

If you think they are broken (with ST2) then possibly put Fend instead. Yes it does not have synergy with SF but it will leave them with the added benefit of chosing whether they want to stay or move.

Stunty is a potential addition, and at one point I hade the giants with TTM and these guys with Right Stuff. But it became way too skill intensive (there are already a lot of skills on this team). with AG2 and no dodge I also thought that they would rarely see the benefit of stunty and suffer all the consequences. Finally I was trying to make the HARDEST lino to remove off the pitch yet at the same time the least effective. Very Very Passive buggers.

What about the other positions? The cyclops are unlike any other player, do you see them as an interesting addition or a waste on the roster?

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Greyhound wrote: (...)
[about the Rock Gnomes] I was trying to make the HARDEST lino to remove off the pitch yet at the same time the least effective. Very Very Passive buggers.
Now they are very weak against Claw (and nigh invulnerable to other teams).
Maybe Av9 + Thick Skull?

I don't mind too much their possible "overpowered" skill combos: with a 5-2-2 profile they are a hell to skill up!
Greyhound wrote: What about the other positions? The cyclops are unlike any other player, do you see them as an interesting addition or a waste on the roster?
Since you are asking... Well, I like a lot :)
Break-Tackle and Big Hand add a lot of fun, in my mind.