How I would change the block dice.

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: How I would change the block dice.

Post by dode74 »

Am I right in thinking that 1, 2 and 10 will result in a turnover regardless of the attacker having block/wrestle? So the odds of turnover for 1d blockers increase to 1/4? Only blodgers will have 1/6 odds of a turnover on their own block dice?

Reason: ''
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

1, 2 will result in a turnover (because the Attacker is knocked down), 10 will not result in a turnover.
If the Attacker has Dodge, 2 is just an Attacker pushed back; Tackle, if present on Defender, counters Dodge on the Attacker.
10 is Defender Down (no turnover because the Defender, not the Attacker, is knocked down without being pushed back, i.e. it's a Pow without push back, Dodge can't prevent it).
In the case of an Attacker player without Blodge, results of 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 will cause a turnover (1/2): this is on purpose greater than BB 1/3 turnover odds in order to discourage rampant 1 die blocking typical of poor coaches.
In the case of a Block/Wrestle Attacker player results of 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 will cause a turnover (5/12).
In the case of a Blodger Attacker player against a Tackleless Defender results of 1, 3, 8 will cause a turnover (1/4).
In the case of a Blodger Attacker player against a Tackler Defender results of 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 will cause a turnover (5/12).

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

How I would change the block dice.

Post by Shteve0 »

Personally, I think that the block dice is the single greatest innovation the game has to offer and can be considered perfect as is. Just an "IMHO".

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Shteve0 wrote:Personally, I think that the block dice is the single greatest innovation the game has to offer and can be considered perfect as is. Just an "IMHO".
I agree wholeheartedly with this.

There are plenty of things that could do with tweaking in the game, I'm not convinced the block dice are one of them.

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Shteve0 wrote:Personally, I think that the block dice is the single greatest innovation the game has to offer and can be considered perfect as is. Just an "IMHO".
I quite agree on the block dice innovation, but I don't consider them perfect.
A St 3 Block player can -2dice-block a St 5 opponent without too muck risk of failure, and, generally speaking, the Block dice cover few possible outcomes.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

The risk is pretty high at 11/36, I think. You're not going to want to try it as your primary plan, that's for sure!
A lot depends on what you think the relative power between stats and skills should be, and I think the designers gave us a hint that they think skills should be important when they put in the "modified or unmodified 1" rule for fumbling a pass.

I do agree that some outcomes aren't covered, but wonder if that simplicity isn't actually a good thing for positional skills.

Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

dode74 wrote: A lot depends on what you think the relative power between stats and skills should be, and I think the designers gave us a hint that they think skills should be important when they put in the "modified or unmodified 1" rule for fumbling a pass.
This. With the proposed block dice, low stat teams, which are already on the losing end of the arms race, would suffer even more.
As Chaos for instance, I would be tempted to just forget about Block since it becomes an almost negligible factor and concentrate on Guard, Tackle and ClawPOMB.
dode74 wrote: I do agree that some outcomes aren't covered, but wonder if that simplicity isn't actually a good thing for positional skills.
I really like the fact that currently 4 outcomes out of 6 dictate that the defender is pushed back. That means the active player may build some sort of positioning strategy.