BB-themed RPG?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Okay, so am I daft?

No, this is cool!
49%
Yes, but this idea has some merit.
27%
Why did I bother responding to this poll?
24%

Total votes: 37

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Re: BB-themed RPG?

Post by celticgriffon »

I would think WFRP would be the easiest existing RPG to convert as most of the stats would be a straight port.

I would be very interested in seeing where you are at on this project. It would be a hoot for a few one off adventures at the very least.

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

Thread resurrection.

Recently I had the same Idea. But as the RPG System there will be used the CRP rules. :)

Each PC plays a Player of the Players Team. (Great sentence)
The Rest of the Team is played by the GM.
And the Opossing Team is played by the GM.
Or if the GM can find a suitable opponent.

Each PC can only play his character. And the stats are purely Blood bowl stats. And the skills are purely Blood bowl skills, but the Levelup should be made in smaller steps, so that hey can accumulate more skills.

Experience points and level up.
XP is counted in Starplayerpoints, but for the players there are not the fixed levels of the usaual upgrade. Depending on Player upgrade possibility the Skills will cost several points.

For example Lineman takes Generall skill 6 SPP, he takes a double skill 12 SSP, he likes to increase his strengh +1 for 36 SPP.
SPP gathered like in the real game, plus some extras if the match is won

The other players:
Problems with other NPC Players should be handled by GM with animosity rules, hitting of own players is allowed. Also it is not automatically that own players lend an assist in each block.

Matches
Each match is played like a usual Blood Bowl match with the CRP rules.
BUT there is no turnover for the Player Characters. So each of them will have the opportunity to act each round. Some Initiative System needs to be implemented. Maybe 2d6 plus AG.

NPC Players will suffer from Turnover, so the NPCs of Player Team cannot act any more in this match.

Before each drive the players can talk about their desired tactic. In the match they can only shout short orders, no tactical longtime discussion.

Adventures:
Now the real interesting part is the stuff between the games and an overall story arc. So one match after the next is dull.

Some story like, run down team regroups, some players are rundown criminals or on the run from some crime lord.

Also there should be some blocking and passing stuff in between the matches. Some kind of Pirate takeover like in the novels, adventuring to find a special apothecary, that stuff. Setup will be on a battle map and the bad guys have blood bowl stats.

Injuries:
Being hit for a player in the first rounds is hard if he have to wait for the rest of the game before he can act.
Maybe some kind of temporal NPC takeover System could be used, but not of some important nemesis NPCs in the team.

Crazy referees:
the GM should plan some crazy stuff which could happen in the game, not the usual dull torunament blood bowl game, but crazy blood bowl stuff like on the action cards.
Wizzards from the sidelines, a love potion on one own player, banning of a touchdown for excessive behaviour, pitch invasion with real fans as minis on the field.
Nothing to serious, but to increase tension.

Any other Ideas?

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I would have a totally different take on this. Keep in mind I've GM'd D&D and other games off and on for about 20 years so I'm partial to that model.

This should be about the world, about the story. The GM creates a campaign in a world (WHFB is easiest to do here) where Blood Bowl is a serious sport. There's some political aspect of the game that the PCs are faced with. Maybe they need to prevent a devastating war or they are sponsored by their king to establish greatness around the world or they have to use their tournaments as a front for big heists, etc. The Blood Bowl is an aspect of the game (a large one), but not the entire game. There's also melee fighting and thievery and political intrigue and treasure and all the stuff that makes RPGs fun. They would gain experience points based on their actions in key games, but that's only part of it.

You want to talk about an opportunity for fluff?!?! Here ya go!!!

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

For between match shenanigans Warhammer Quest would have some ideas. I can't remember if Advanced Heroquest had some as well.

Oh and a modd'ed version of brewhouse bash? :)