Blood...Polo?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Blood...Polo?

Post by garion »

haha :lol:

As the creator I need to cement this early on ;)

Reason: ''
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

You just broke my foppish mideval heart. Still, good job making the call. ;)

In that case, I'm sure you could at least represent Bret aces as star mounts:

MV99 ST6 AG4 AV10 Flight, Leap Claws... :smoking:

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
garion

Post by garion »

So now we have the basic premis, the teams, riders and mounts, and weapons (though could do with more).

What about rules.

First of all I want to use a Bloodbowl pitch, there will need to be a goal at each end. Every player should only take up one square.

Movement, blocking and blitzing should stay the same. Though more rules for the blocking and blitzing are required as there are two targets etc...

need lots of rules for controlling the ball and shooting etc...

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Can riders and mounts be mixed? Can a Dark Elf blitzer ride a horse but then get a Cold One when you can afford it?

If so, can mounts skill up?

I'm just wondering how much you want to concentrate on dismounting a rider as a game tactic. For example, on any successful block do you need to figure out if the rider was crushed by or thrown from a horse? If so, damage is resolved separately and you need MV and AG as ways to model a riders getting back in the saddle.

BTW, if you use a 40mm board, you should be fine using 1 square per fig.

garion

Post by garion »

Answers in red
Warpstone wrote:Can riders and mounts be mixed? Can a Dark Elf blitzer ride a horse but then get a Cold One when you can afford it?

Yup

If so, can mounts skill up?

Yup

I'm just wondering how much you want to concentrate on dismounting a rider as a game tactic. For example, on any successful block do you need to figure out if the rider was crushed by or thrown from a horse? If so, damage is resolved separately and you need MV and AG as ways to model a riders getting back in the saddle.

I was thinking if they are dismounted they land in a square next to the horse and the horse loses Ma the following turn waiting for the rider to get back on. It just seems easier that way. Also Jump Up could be used to allow the rider straight back on the horse without it losing any Ma. Though not sure if the rider should always be dismounted. It would be neat to have the rider stunned but the horse still able to move in their turn. Obviously this would give the rider No Hands (in other words cant block/blitz or interact with the ball). Would make sense to allow the more agile creatures like a deer to cope better with a stunned rider, while something like a juggernaut could take a WA test.

BTW, if you use a 40mm board, you should be fine using 1 square per fig.

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

I'd keep the rider and his mount as one entity except cas rolls...makes life a *lot* easier!

Some ideas:

1) Block dice:
Skull: Attacker + mount down. Roll an armour/injury for both
Skull/BD: Attacker and defender dismounted: Roll for armour/injury on rider
Push: Narrow duck!
Pow/Push: Defender dismounted
Pow: Defender + mount down.

2) Momentum. Introduce little arrow tokens for the direction you are going, and you *must* move that distance in that direction

3) Dodging is a ride check (agility roll, so possibly functionally identical)

4) If you block somebody, you can't attack the ball.

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Hitonagashi wrote: 1) Block dice:
Skull: Attacker + mount down. Roll an armour/injury for both
Skull/BD: Attacker and defender dismounted: Roll for armour/injury on rider
Push: Narrow duck!
Pow/Push: Defender dismounted
Good call.

I would still treat the rider and mount as two separate entities though as pinning or attacking a rider would be a great tactic. For example,, I might not be able to kill a juggernaut, but I sure can try to whack his rider. Without the rider, the mount should pass a wild animal style roll to do anything useful.

Regarding the dismount, a random scatter makes sense. I guess you can use the conceit that these are experienced riders, so they're unlikely to get crushed or to have problems mounting back up to eliminate those issues.

Mounts should lose X MA due to a rider getting back in the saddle. It's easy and scales based on the mount. Would you make any mount specific skills to handle some of these issues? For example, an Intelligent mount is still able to take actions when dismounted?

garion

Post by garion »

Some great ideas. The block dice idea looks perfect to me Hito, thanks :)

Before we move on to skills and what they do I think we need to work out the base stats of everyone. More skills can be added later and costs etc..

So starting with Araby. All the riders are the same. The mounts are Camel, Elephant and Magic Carpet.

the base player and mount stats are n/a 3 3 8 for the player and 8 3 3 8 for a basic horse

Araby Teams

Araby Rider
n/a 3 3 7

Araby Mounts

camel
6 3 3 7

Elephant
6 6 1 10 - Really Stupid, Break Tackle, Trample

Magic Carpet
9 2 4 7 - Leap

How should movement work?
possiblities -
1) the same way as in bloodbowl, free movement, though this isnt very realistic and the mounts wouldnt be different enough.
2) can only move in one direction in a turn, if they want to change direction they must make an agility test.
3) have a handling stat like in dreadfleet, so move X amount of squares then they can turn.
4) (probably my favourit) a point of movement is needed to turn. So to turn a player north to south would cost 4 Ma. Also skills could be added here to make turnign easier, so the magic carpet, pogo stick and deer would find it easier to turn.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

garion wrote:Maybe if the mounts can only move in one direction in a turn, if they want to change direction they must make an agility test ?
Nice. Perhaps they should also be able to sacrifice movement to enable turns.

garion

Post by garion »

hehe just ninja'd you with my edit ;)

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

I was thinking something along the lines of turns being based on an AG roll for the mount, but you could get a free turn by using 50% (rounding up) of your MA.

garion

Post by garion »

I would rather it was a fixed number, that way animals like elephants will suffer greatly for poor positioning.

I think an Ag roll could be good though, like a hard turn. Which allows you to spin round on the spot without the cost to movement.

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

garion wrote:I would rather it was a fixed number, that way animals like elephants will suffer greatly for poor positioning.

I think an Ag roll could be good though, like a hard turn. Which allows you to spin round on the spot without the cost to movement.
I like these ideas.

I'd also say the AG roll shouldn't be a static difficulty, but based on the number of squares you moved that turn.

For an idea:

Turning:

Code: Select all

Turning is harder the further you've moved!

You can turn in two ways:
1) For 1 movement point, you can turn one 'angle' in either direction.
2) You can consult the following table to make a "hard turn".

The table is calculated by : AG - 2 + number of squares moved. (inspiration jump up).

That way, an AG 3 mount can be pulled to face any direction at the start of the move on a 2+, but yanking it through 180 degrees after 5 squares of movement will require a 6!

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Fair enough - 1 MA per direction (45º) turned would seem reasonable given the MAs you're quoting.

garion

Post by garion »

Hitonagashi wrote:
garion wrote:I would rather it was a fixed number, that way animals like elephants will suffer greatly for poor positioning.

I like these ideas.

I'd also say the AG roll shouldn't be a static difficulty, but based on the number of squares you moved that turn.

For an idea:

Turning:

Code: Select all

Turning is harder the further you've moved!

You can turn in two ways:
1) For 1 movement point, you can turn one 'angle' in either direction.
2) You can consult the following table to make a "hard turn".

The table is calculated by : AG - 2 + number of squares moved. (inspiration jump up).

That way, an AG 3 mount can be pulled to face any direction at the start of the move on a 2+, but yanking it through 180 degrees after 5 squares of movement will require a 6!
Great ideas hito!

So I think that is movement sorted.

Now to work out how blocking works? Any ideas for working out how many dice are used and how you block with the mount and the rider?