Mid Season All Star Game

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Mid Season All Star Game

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if I should post this to the League section or the new concepts section. Moderators please adjust if necessary.

Our league (two divisions with 6 coaches in each) is approaching mid-year. I wanted to have a fun format All Star Game to break up the early and late season.

Here is what I have envisioned:

1. I would like every team to submit two player's to the All-Star game.
a) You will also need two alternates (a and b with a getting priority) just in case someone gets killed before that date.
b) Therefore we will have 12 players starting / side.
2. Each player will have a personal apothecary (or mortician for the Undead).
a) The apothecary will automatically work (i.e. no d6 roll required for success).
b) Regeneration will also work as normal after any casualty decisions.
3. The coach with the lowest standing in each Division will be considered the Head Coach.
a) Each coach will be able to run the team for x turns each half. This number will be determined by coach attendance (in that Division)
b) The order in which you participate will be up to this coach but they will try to balance so every coach has an equal # of turns where possible.
4. Each coach will get one Team Re-Roll each half which only they can use.
5. We will calculate the TV as normal before the game.
a) The lower side will receive inducements (cards, team re-rolls, bloodweiser babes, wizard, halfling master chef).
b) No mercenary or star players are allowed.
6. If a coach participates in this event their team will get a 20,000 crown reward.
7. Two MVP's per side will be awarded (randomly of course :) ).
8. All injuries after the game will be healed (i.e. no missed games for player's which partook in this event).
a) Deaths which fail the apothecary or regeneration will stand. This would mean that the player received two death results with the apotehcary re-roll.
9. Each team from the winning side (as per Touchdowns not Casualties) will also receive +1 FF and an additional 20,000 crowns, but more importantly, they have Bragging Rights!!

Would anyone have any further thoughts / suggestions / criticism of this proposal?

cheers,
Michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Mid Season All Star Game

Post by Hitonagashi »

Everyone running a certain amount of turns sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen :).

Especially if you have competitive coaches and a large skill gap...imagine, mr skilled coach setting up a perfect sack next turn, passes over to league newbie, who starts the turn with a sendoff foul of their best player..

I've always liked the idea of All Star game coaching being the prize for a season.

If you want to get everyone involved, run a betting ring on the match. All teams get 100k gold crowns and can add as many as they like from their treasury. The top 2 league positions play the game, with the lowest ranked player in the League as the Goblin Bookmaker. Players give their bets to him on pieces of paper (including during the game!), and he gives them the odds and gives them their paper back with how much they are betting on it. If the "Bookie" turns a profit, his team get to keep the gold (acts as a mid season boost).

In addition, the MVP is not given out for this game, and instead, the "Fan Favourite" skill is given to the MVP on each side.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Hitonagashi: My thought with the head coach being the coach of the worst ranked team allows a few things:

1) being on the bottom of a division sucks - this gives the coach some encouragement
2) i don't mind if a coach deliberately puts a player on the sidelines... I think it will be hilarious to see a bunch of shenanigans happen to be honest. In fact I cannot wait to see what some coaches do to put player's within their division into poor situations. (i.e. Umm... I am going to leave that Black Orc on his ass because he fouled the snot out of my team last game... ;p)

I like your thought of having fan favourite instead of the mvp... and the idea of teams being able to bet is quite fascinating as well. Thanks for these suggestions!!

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

My league has done something very similar for the past seven or eight seasons, though we have it at the end of the season like proper sports do. It should also be called a Pro Bowl. :smoking:

We actually just played our most recent one last night. Most of your rules are like ours.

A few differences:
-Teams of 16. In case of an odd number, the team with the best record gets the higher number of players. This is an intentional rich-get-richer situation. Our two conferences are usually around 8-12 teams, so we've yet to face a situation where one team wouldn't have any representation.
-We don't have a head coach. Everyone who shows up just gets X number of turns. The team with the best record gets first pick of which turns, and so on.
-All casualties are BH.
-All participating players get an MVP and their earned SPPs. One Pro Bowl MVP from each side chosen by the other team gets Fan Favorite.
-1 reroll per quarter. This sometimes/often means that some coaches will have to get by with none.
-If possible, one member of each team must be on the field at all times.
-Any players that were not on the field for a drive must play on the following drive.
-All players have Animosity, except toward their usual teammates.

It's hectic, and we often have the situations that Hitonagashi predicted, but it's a pretty good time.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Well - next week we will be running our second annual All-Star Game.

I have already had coaches ask - must a player use block/dodge if they have the skill. And I happily responded it is optional. :P

Here are some of our revised rules for the upcoming game:

1. Every coach needs to submit two player’s for the All-Star Game. They also need two alternates in order of importance (a) most important and (b) next most in case of any deaths or injuries prior to then. If a coach fails to submit two players two will be chosen at random from their team.
2. Players will earn any star player points they gain in the ASG.
3. Each player will have a one time personal apothecary (or Igor for the Undead) and the decision to use the apothecary will be at this coaches’ discretion solely. If the coach for that player is absent for the match it will be used after the first sustained injury. The apothecary is automatic – no d6 roll is required. Regeneration will be used as normal.
4. Any player’s who are required to miss the next match will not suffer that penalty. They will be available for the next match. Niggling injuries or STAT decreases will stand, however.
5. Deaths which fail the apothecary and/or regeneration roll will also stand.

6. The coach with the lowest standing in each division will be the head coach for the match.
7. Coaches will rotate from turn to turn. As per a suggestion from Zac last year we will set the order. Worst record in each division will play first, then the next worst, etc.. until the best record. Therefore the number of times a coach will lead his team will be dependent upon how many coaches show up for their division. The order will not change for the game.
8. Each coach gets 1 re-roll per half which only they can use. The more coaches which show for the game the more re-rolls your division will have.
9. During their turn at bat each coach may abuse any player on the pitch as they wish. This includes players on your own team. Player’s will not block, blitz or foul anyone on their own team, however. But any other under-handed thing you can think of is allowed.

10. We will calculate the TV as normal before the game. Re-rolls will be valued at 50K per coach.
11. The lower side will receive inducements (cards, bloodweiser babes, bribes, wizard, halfing master chef, etc. No star players, wandering apothecaries or igors, team re-rolls, or mercenaries).
12. After group discussion the final decision for inducements will be made by the Head Coach.
13. In addition to normal inducements each side will get their choice of two 50K cards (at random) from the deck(s) of the Head Coach’s choice for the match. The Head Coach has final say on the usage of all the inducements.

14. All player’s will suffer from Animosity. They must test for animosity if handing off or throwing the ball to a player who is not on a similar base team. Therefore a chaos dwarf bull centaur would have to test for animosity before handing a ball to an orc or goblin. They could hand off to a hobgoblin no problem, however.

15. Every coach which participates in this event will get a 30,000 crown reward.
16. Two MVP’s per side will be awarded (randomly of course).
17. Each team from the winning side (as per Touchdowns not Casualties) will also receive +1 FF and an additional 50,000 crowns.
But more importantly they will have Bragging Rights!!

Last year was a riot. We had six coaches on one side vs. two on the other. And the two coaches were brand new. But somehow via a string of amazing dice rolls one of the coaches managed to get his own Wood Elf combo into the endzone for a last minute win. I cannot wait to see what happens this year. We will hopefully take a bunch of pcitures and do a play-by-play for everyone to read.

Michael

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Oh yeah... and we also allowed players to place bets (50K cap) on the game last year as well. I am assuming we will do so again this year. It was funny to see all the coaches who bet against their own division.

This year I think I am going to place some secret bets for the other coaches (just before end of game)... It should provide quite a few laughs.

Michael

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I love it!

Why not let the coaches coach their own players on every turn? That would be like a built-in animosity skill as coaches work slightly-out-of-tandem to get their players the best outcomes for themselves (while still mostly needing the team to succeed--it's like a Blood Bowl Prisoners' Dilemma)!

The head coach could try to coordinate and would make team reroll and setup decisions and the like. He would thus have a certain level of control.

I like the betting idea as well! Man, I wanna do this!

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Puzzlemonkey - i like the idea behind every coach taking the reigns on there players a lot. The only concern I would have is the added time this might add to the game. Deciding which player to activate in which order isnt always clear cut and debating things might make the pace snailish.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Mmm. Good point. Well, the head coach could "activate" players, and give them instructions; then it's up to their coaches whether they do it!

He'd also have to assign blitzes or passes to individual players on each turn. Or maybe not... a player who routinely "steals" blitzes would just always be activated last--or not at all... :evil:

I wouldn't be worried about the game being a bit long--no matter how you make things work, I think the chaos and goofiness would make up for it!

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

So most of the selections are now locked in for our game tomorrow.

The head coaches are going to be allowed to mark one end zone square which has some sort of pit or spike or other trap.

I am also thinking about giving +1 FF to the coaches in each division which have sent the strongest two players to the game (either as a percentage of TV or just the highest players by player value).

But what should I do for the wussy spineless coaches who have sent their fourth string linemen?

And we are also going to be allowing two of our retired players (one in each division) to join the game. It should be a hoot. If I can record the details I will do a write up at some point.

Michael

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

We had our game this weekend. I will hopefully post a news event on our website and also perhaps post the write up on here as well.

When I calculated the teams (I am hoping to post the excel roster I created for the match) I figured out each teams SPP's sent and also player value sent. In each division the team which sent the most of both was called the strong link. The teams which sent the least of both were the weak links. The division which won the match would give the strong links +1 FF. The division wich lost the match would give the weak links -1 FF.

In our league we have two coaches who decided to play a new team this year and retire (temporarily perhaps) their old team. A player on both of these teams won awards for last season. So, we also brought in those players for the ASG.

In terms of the game, of course the Wood Elf who was top thrower last year refused to pass the ball to a human all alone in the end zone. But to make matters worse not before he broke out of his own cage to completely avoid any interception attempts... Yup... a wood elf thrower all by himself in the offensive zone... As you can imagine this was the nail in the coffin for them... which allowed the bad guys to win.

We also let bets be placed on the match. As the good races had more SPP's and TV than the bad guys the bets went towards that side. So more money was lost then earned overall from these bets thus giving our Goblin team a 20K rake!

Michael

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

I have started writing the All-Star Game story... you can find the first installment here:

http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleag ... cp&cpid=14

Hope you enjoy!

Michael