Allow extra Journeymen up to fill 16 player roster?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bludbowler
Experienced
Experienced

Allow extra Journeymen up to fill 16 player roster?

Post by Bludbowler »

Change the Journeymen rules to allow a coach to hire as many Journeymen players as necessary to bring his roster up to the 16 player maximum. All other aspects of the Journeymen rules would stay the same.

The intent is to allow teams with excessive casualties to have ample reserves available to field 11 players throughout an entire game, not just for the opening kickoff This will allow teams to avoid being destroyed match after match due to the inevitable casualty avalanche caused by starting outnumbered drive after drive.

Lack of player reserves is probably the biggest reason coaches lose match after match, which results in these coaches losing all hope of ever rebuilding their teams and ultimately dropping out of their leagues.

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Re: Journeyman rule variant.

Post by Shteve0 »

What would you hope to achieve? I'm struggling to see the benefit, and certainly it wrecks amazon and stunty coaches far more than, say, pro elfs.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
petitgars
Experienced
Experienced

Post by petitgars »

The problem i see in Journeyman rule is that team sub-optimal with only 11 players are disavantaged. For exemple vampire (but not only).

I think that, in league, the" number of initial players in the team" would be preferable than "11" for Journeymen. For exemple, you try a fun orc roster with 12 players, one die, you have a journeyman, so you will not cry. Actually, you have few interest to try to have more than 11 players at the beginning of a league.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

It does change the relative power levels as, say, Dwarves and elf linos are so much better than skelly or undead.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

petitgars wrote:For exemple, you try a fun orc roster with 12 players, one die, you have a journeyman, so you will not cry.
Grow some balls, back in LRB4, there was no journeyman at all, once your team got crushed in first game, you could have to start next games 6 VS 11 for 16 full violent turns. There is a topic on fumbbl about removing the blood from bloodowl, if you do so, you'd better play another game i think (try backgamon, same amount of dice but you will always start with a full squad)

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

I find the "only use his skills once" a bit impractical.
It would add yet another thing to keep track of. Did he use Block the first turn? has he used stunty?

I feel the rules work well to accomplish what you are trying to do. Specially with Orcs since they have high AV. Teams that cannot handle being less than 11 have cheap players to counter this.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

If these journeymen were free don’t add to TV then that would really help teams like elves since they can use them as fodder on defence. It will be ideal to keep 1 turners safe in the reserves box until needed too.

Bash teams may get some use out of them for fouling since you won’t care if they get sent off.

I agree with others that the 1 skill use only would be an annoying bit of book keeping though. Maybe give them a random nega-trait out of bonehead, wild animal, take root or even bloodlust (with all players on your team as potential targets).

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
petitgars
Experienced
Experienced

Post by petitgars »

Elyoukey wrote:
petitgars wrote:For exemple, you try a fun orc roster with 12 players, one die, you have a journeyman, so you will not cry.
Grow some balls, back in LRB4, there was no journeyman at all, once your team got crushed in first game, you could have to start next games 6 VS 11 for 16 full violent turns. There is a topic on fumbbl about removing the blood from bloodowl, if you do so, you'd better play another game i think (try backgamon, same amount of dice but you will always start with a full squad)
What a beautiful argument "but before, it was WORSE".

Yes, but it was ... before, and we are talkink about tomorrow.

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

Can't see the problem you try to fix. I think journeymen are a great addition to the rules. It was tough/death sentence to a team if it took too many casualties early in LRB4, now they can do just fine with a couple of journeymen until they get enough money to replace the dead guys. At low to medium TV 11 players are just fine, sure 1-2 reserves would be lovely, but you still have quite a fighting chance to win the game.

The part about only using skills once doesn't make sense and would be a nightmare to keep track of. Players are valued due to their stats AND skills, so skill-less journeymen would be A LOT better than their skilled counterparts with this rule suggestion and that seems to hit teams pretty much at random.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
petitgars
Experienced
Experienced

Post by petitgars »

dines wrote:Can't see the problem you try to fix. I think journeymen are a great addition to the rules. It was tough/death sentence to a team if it took too many casualties early in LRB4, now they can do just fine with a couple of journeymen until they get enough money to replace the dead guys. At low to medium TV 11 players are just fine, sure 1-2 reserves would be lovely, but you still have quite a fighting chance to win the game..
I agree that the journeymen are a great addition. But, in my opinion, there is a great difference between an elfish journeymen and a goblin one, for exemple. And, at the beginning of a league, the number of player in the roster is different in a elfish team (usually 11) and a "fun" roster (usually more than 11). So, i think that it could be great if the number of players (including journeymen) can be adjusted to the number of player at the creation of the roster.

For me, it is not very complicated to do (just keep the first sheet), and could be great.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

If you want more than 11, take mercs and/or Stars.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
petitgars
Experienced
Experienced

Post by petitgars »

Mercs is+30 kpo (+cost of player)...In the first matchs, the difference of team value is often lower than that, so you couldn't.

For the moment, nobody explain why this proposition create a problem.

An alternative of the number of journeymen is the generic journeymen: 6 3 3 8 no comp'. for all the teams.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

petitgars wrote: An alternative of the number of journeymen is the generic journeymen: 6 3 3 8 no comp'. for all the teams.
a lizardmen team or a gobelin team would be a lot more happy to have a non-stunty ball carrier than a human team would be to have "another" lineman.

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

petitgars wrote: For me, it is not very complicated to do (just keep the first sheet), and could be great.
If this works for you and your fellow players then fine.
In my league, keeping that first Cockerel would be harder than it sounds. It just feels too arbitrary to keep track of and remember. Players are humans and forgetful. I can see how some Cockerel are lost or forgotten when they are needed and so on.

Maybe a fix amount of money specially for hiring journey man would be better. After all a lot of balancing has been done with the price of the players.

let's say something like:

Every team with less than 11 "Fit for Fight"-players has 150k(3 human linemen) available for hiring journeymen. If This doesn't raise the number of "Fit for Fight"-players to 11 then the team is allowed to continue hiring journey men for free untill it has 11 "Fit for Fight"-players.

150k:
That means 2 players on all teams with linemans that cost more than 50. effectively giving them a max of 12 players(if they are only missing one player).

snotlings would get 7(!) players( full Cockerel almost everytime)
Flings 5 players

and so on.

I think this would accomplish what you are trying to do(getting some reserves on teams that need it) with a rule that everyone has access to and affects everyone "equally".

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

petitgars wrote:
dines wrote:Can't see the problem you try to fix. I think journeymen are a great addition to the rules. It was tough/death sentence to a team if it took too many casualties early in LRB4, now they can do just fine with a couple of journeymen until they get enough money to replace the dead guys. At low to medium TV 11 players are just fine, sure 1-2 reserves would be lovely, but you still have quite a fighting chance to win the game..
I agree that the journeymen are a great addition. But, in my opinion, there is a great difference between an elfish journeymen and a goblin one, for exemple. And, at the beginning of a league, the number of player in the roster is different in a elfish team (usually 11) and a "fun" roster (usually more than 11). So, i think that it could be great if the number of players (including journeymen) can be adjusted to the number of player at the creation of the roster.

For me, it is not very complicated to do (just keep the first sheet), and could be great.
It all depends on what you want to use the journeymen for. Using the joke teams is a bad example as their main players are supposed to suck. However they are cheap to compensate for that so you can start with more than 11 and still have cash to replace them. You just have to make a choice about how many re-rolls you want or whether it’s worth keeping flings with 2 normal skills.

Fodder journeymen are great as having loner isn’t much of a liability if their job is to sit next to a mummy and take hits all game. But for elves it can be a problem since you’re likely to end up with less players on the pitch so those journeyman may have to make a vital block/pass/dodge.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.