Creating your own team for Blood Bowl

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Creating your own team for Blood Bowl

Post by Darkson »

dode74 wrote:This is the updated version originally posted by Galak and archived by me after the forum crash and subsequent reset:
: http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=457
And then subsequently "borrowed" by me. ;)

Guidelines for creating your own team for Blood Bowl

General Team Rules:
1) No team can have AG 4 and ST 4+ players (unless the ST 4+ players are a Big Guy or Vampire)
2) Total Strength of the 16 highest ST players should not exceed 54
3) Take all players over 100k in price that are not Big Guy stock. Subtract 100k from each of their price and multiple this amount * the maximum number allowed. Total this amount for the team. This amount cannot exceed 60k. (Example the Chaos Dwarf team has 2 non Big Guy players over 100k. The Bull Centaurs are 130k. Subtract 100k from each and multiple by the 2 they are allowed and you get 60k so that team is okay.
4) No team should have more than one 0-16 slots or more than 6 different positions (including the lineman slot) allowed on the team. (Example the Orc team has 6 different positions).
5) Slots not set at 0-16 are limited to 0-6 maximum allowed.
6) A team cannot have Agile player types and Blocker player types on the same roster.
7) Team Re-roll prices should not be set at less than 50k.
8 - No player's ST + AG should be more than 7.

General Rules for creating players:

1) If the player's initial calculated price is over 100k. Divide the amount of the player's price over 100k by 2 to determine the player's final calculated price. So a player worth 140k when calculated would have a final calculated price of 120k. (note if after this is done the player in to an even 10k increment then you need to apply rule 2 below before you have the true final calculated price).

2) If a player's calculated price is not a round 10k price. Round down 5k amounts over 100k and round up 5k amounts if under 100k. So a player worth 35k when calculated would have a final price of 40k while a player whose price was 135k after applying the divide by 2 rule above would have a final calculated price of 130k.

3) Any player's final calculated price may be modified by 10k more or less from the calculated price to achieve overall team balance. This is pretty important to balancing a roster in the long run.

4) If a player's price is adjusted down from the final calculated price then this amount should be multiplied by the number of players in that slot. No team should be allowed to have this total amount for all players exceed 40k total for the team. Players made more expensive than their calculated price should not be factored in. (Example if the 0-16 slot for a team calculated to 60k and the price was adjusted to 50k then this would be 16*10=160k of discount and would be disallowed.) (Remember that all discounted players needed added. So if the team has two 0-4 slot players and each player is discounted 10k then this would be 80k of team
discount and the team should not be allowed to be created.)

5) No weapon players should be allowed to be created and placed on teams (other than Stab). So no Secret Weapon, Bombardier, Chainsaw, Ball & Chain players created new for rosters.

PLAYER TYPES:

1) BASIC PLAYER
This player type starts as:
6/3/3/8 No Skills -- 50,000 gold
This type is allowed for 0-16 slots or 0-6, 0-4, 0-2 slots
No player of this type should be priced for less than 40k
Skills disallowed to this player type:
Right Stuff, Stunty, Titchy, Always Hungry, Throw Team-Mate, Loner, Bone-head, Wild Animal, Really Stupid, Take Root
All skills add 20k to the player's price other than the following:
30k: Regeneration
20k: Having Block and Dodge on the same player (this is on top of the 40k the player paid for Block and Dodge already)
10k: Horns, Pass, and Thick Skull
5k: Leap and Very Long Legs
-5k: Decay
The following stat changes are allowed to this player type:
MA 4: -20k
MA 5: -10k
MA 7: +20k
MA 8: +30k
ST 2: -30k
AG 2: -20k
AV 7: -10k (if the player has NO other skills or stat increases)
AV 7: -20k
AV 9: +10k

2) AGILE PLAYER
6/3/4/8 No Skills -- 70,000 gold
No player of this type should be priced for less than 60k
Right Stuff, Stunty, Titchy, Always Hungry, Throw Team-Mate, Loner, Bone-head, Wild Animal, Really
Stupid, Take Root
20k: Having Block and Dodge on the same player (this is on top of the 40k the player paid for Block and Dodge already)
10k: Horns, Safe Throw, Thick Skull, and Very Long Legs
-10k: Decay
MA 7: +10k
MA 8: +20k
MA 9: +40k
ST 2: -30k
AV 7: -10k (if the player has NO other skills or stat increases)
AV 7: -20k
AV 9: +20k

3) STUNTY PLAYER
6/2/3/7 Dodge, Stunty -- 30,000 gold
No player of this type should be priced for less than 20k
Always Hungry, Throw Team-Mate, Loner, Bone-head, Wild Animal, Really Stupid, Take Root All skills add 20k to the player's price other than the following:
40k: Block
10k: Right Stuff
0k: Titchy
MA 5: -5k
MA 7: +15k
MA 8: +30k
ST 1: -15k
AV 5: -20k
AV 6: -5k

4) BLOCKER PLAYER
4/4/2/9 -- 80,000 gold
This type is allowed for 0-6, 0-4, 0-2 slots
No player of this type should be priced for less than 80k
Block, Claw, Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty, Titchy, Always Hungry, Throw Team-Mate, Loner, Bone-head, Wild Animal, Really Stupid, Take Root
10k: Thick Skull, Disturbing Presense
-5k: Decay
MA 3: -20k
MA 5: +10k
MA 6: +30k
ST 5: +40k
AG 1: -20k
AG 3: +20k
AV 7: -30k
AV 8: -20k
AV 10: +30k

5) BIG GUY PLAYER
5/5/2/9 (Loner), (Negatrait), (Damage Skill) -- 160,000 gold
A team should only be allowed to have one Big Guy type on it
Allowed:
If the team has any ST 3+ players (other than the Big Guy) then 0-1 allowed
If the team's strongest other players are ST 2 then 0-2 or 0-1 allowed
If the team's strongest other players are ST 1 then 0-6, 0-4, 0-2, or 0-1 allowed
No player of this type should be priced for less than 110k
Block, Dodge, Right Stuff, Stunty, Titchy
Loner: If the team has no other players with ST over 2 than the Big Guy should be allowed to have Loner removed (if desired) for no increase to his price.
Negatraits (a Big Guy must have one of these):
Bone-head and Wild Animal do not change the price
Really Stupid subtracts 20k from the price
Take Root subtracts 30k from the price
Damage Skill (a Big Guy must have one of these 2 skills):
Mighty Blow does not change the price
Claw adds 10k to the price
10k: Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate
-10k: Always Hungry skill (Note: a Big Guy MUST have Throw Team-Mate to take Always Hungry)
MA 2: -90k
MA 3: -50k
MA 4: -20k
MA 6: +30k
ST 6: +50k
AG 1: -20k
AV 8: -10k
AV 10: +20k

6) SPECIAL PLAYER (and other notes)
Vampire 110k 6/4/4/8 Blood Lust, Hypnotic Gaze, Regeneration
0-6, 0-4, 0-2, or 0-1 allowed
No modification or extra skills allowed to this player type

Other Notes:
1) The above will allow you to create almost all of the official Blood Bowl teams along with balancing of teams folks want to create to try something new.
2) Please note these are guildelines not rules. They give you a starting point to make a balanced team … the above rules will NOT allow you to create 6 of the official teams which have special rules that needed much playtesting to balance … namely the Dwarf, Goblin, Chaos Pact, Undead, Khemri and Lizardman teams. The Goblin and Dwarf teams because they have weapons on the roster, Chaos Pact because they have too many slots (7), Undead have 2 0-16 roster positions, Khemri's total ST is 56 but the all AG 2 was done to balance this out and the Lizardman team because it has 70k of team discount (10k discount each on the 0-6 Saurus and the 0-1 Kroxigor).
3) If you want to allow teams to add in Vampires (which would be fun) a very easy way to program in the Blood Lust skill would be to allow them to attack any member of their own team that does not have Regeneration (a very easy modification that will have the skill work perfectly and allow the Vampire player to be added into other teams).
4) Note on prices for the Big Guys. The starting price still gets divided by 2 for the amount over 100k when you do the first price calculation.
Example: So a base Big Guy with MA 6 and Loner, Bone-head, and Mighty Blow would be 160k+30k=190k. Divide the 90k by 2 = 45k. 190k-45k = 145k. Round down and the final calculated price of the Big Guy would be 140k.
5) If you to try and have the most balanced teams possible. I strongly recommend not making changes to any stats (Move, Strength, Agility, Armour) other than the ones I listed for each player type.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Creating your own team for Blood Bowl

Post by Darkson »

Please don't post your teams to this thread, use one of it's own. This thread should be kept for discussing the above "rules".

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Someone (maybe i) need to implement those rules in a software so anybody (including me) can point-click/touch-create his custom roster.

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Elyoukey wrote:Someone (maybe i) need to implement those rules in a software so anybody (including me) can point-click/touch-create his custom roster.
This! Do!

...pls.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Do you think the big guy rules might need a few more restrictions? (Have I understood it right.) For example is a
5/5/1/9 (Loner), Wild Animal, Claw, 160, +10, -20, /2 = 125k - 120k correct?
Maybe round up?

Of course then you can give him skills at 10k a pop - Guard and Jugs for example? Should these skills as standard picks not be allowed for big guys?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

It is not an exact science. I would say in the case of the player having premium skills like Claw, Guard or Juggernaut ... I'd definitely round up.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Galak,
had a discussion with Dode about the formula recently.

It seems to me that not all skills were considered in detail when it comes to pricing. Perhaps only the skills actually on any rosters have been included?
Anyway, it appears to me that some of the least popular skills ought to be 10K - such as horns and Disturbing Presence already are in the formula.
Pro strikes me as one.
Juggernaut as another.
[The discussion was about the pricing on the khorne team, but the point remains the same if khorne is left out of the equation]

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
theghr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by theghr »

So, how do i handle which skills categories i can add to which player? Its rather important to development.

Goldbaek is my hero
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

theghr wrote:So, how do i handle which skills categories i can add to which player? Its rather important to development.
Experience has shown that skill access is not critical to pricing so rule of thumb is needed.

Basic would normally be G (with an occasional GP, GA, or GS)
Agile is GA
Blockers are GS
Big Guy is S
Stunty is A
M access is done to taste

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
howabe
Experienced
Experienced

Post by howabe »

How would you suggest pricing No Hands as a negatrait, on both standard players and Big Guys?

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Depends of agility(and mvt) and of other nega trait (ex Wilder animales are bad runner)

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

Are there any other skills that would fit in the 10k cost instead of 20k? Sure Feet, Sprint, Strong Arm all seem to come to mind, but I wasn't sure.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

legowarrior wrote:Are there any other skills that would fit in the 10k cost instead of 20k? Sure Feet, Sprint, Strong Arm all seem to come to mind, but I wasn't sure.
AG 3 player I could see saying 10k for Strong Arm (like Pass is 10k).
Sure Feet I see as 20k.
Sprint I would use a similar rule as the Passing with AG 3 ... if the player is MA 7 or less ... Sprint is 10k.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

Thanks for the feedback. Its nice to know that I wasn't far off course with my thinking.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Galak,
quick question/comment:
Like Legowarrior I've also been thinking that some skills probably ought to be 10K rather than 20K on starters.
It looks to me like the list above is perhaps a piece of reverse Engineering, thereby considering skills that are already on existing rosters and perhaps neglecting some of the skills that aren't on any rosters (yet)?

I did an alternative price-list about 6 months ago, and while that may yet be the subject of another thread at some point, for now I'll just list the skills that I figured were 10K. This includes some skills that I listed as conditional. If I remember right then most of these actually pan out with the prices of existing players.

10K skills:
Catch
Disturbing Presence (half a skill)
Diving Catch
Dump-Off
Foul App (half a skill)
Horns - because it is restricted to once per turn
Pass
Right Stuff - because it is once per turn
Safe Throw
Shadowing
Strong Arm
Stunty
Thick Skull

Skills not on any official rosters, that - IMO - could be 10K
Juggernaut
Pass Block
Pro
Sneaky Git
Very Long Legs

Conditional:
Frenzy (10K) - 20K with Block, 30K with ST+
Leap (10K) - 20K with AG4
Sprint (10K) - 20K with Sure Feet

Jury still out...
Diving Tackle, Prehensile Tail and Tentacles could all be 10K on players with ST3 or less.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead