Hobgoblin Team

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hobgoblin Team

Post by PercyTheTroll »

My version which I proposed a few years ago:

0-2 Hobgoblin Ishkhan 7338 Block, Sneaky Git GS AP 100K
0-2 Hobgoblin Thrower 6337 Pass, Sneaky Git GP AS 70K
0-2 Hobgoblin Rogue 6337 Stab, Sneaky Git GA SP 90K
0-16 Hobgoblin Lineman 6337 Sneaky Git G ASP 50K
Reroll 70K

This was supposed to be a tier 3 team to match the fluff hence the relatively expensive players.

Reason: ''
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Raveen wrote:My version which I proposed a few years ago:

0-2 Hobgoblin Ishkhan 7338 Block, Sneaky Git GS AP 100K
0-2 Hobgoblin Thrower 6337 Pass, Sneaky Git GP AS 70K
0-2 Hobgoblin Rogue 6337 Stab, Sneaky Git GA SP 90K
0-16 Hobgoblin Lineman 6337 Sneaky Git G ASP 50K
Reroll 70K

This was supposed to be a tier 3 team to match the fluff hence the relatively expensive players.
Appreciate the last sentence, but paying 10k is too much for Sneaky Git!

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Frankly, I think the Hobgoblin team should be as such:

0-16 Hobgoblin 6 3 3 7 Sneaky Git 40k G
0-4 Assassin 6 3 3 7 Sneaky Git, Stab 60k G

RR: 70k

Done. They really shouldn't be good, and a Hobgob team shouldn't feature anything but Hobgoblins. (Give them access to normal CD stars.)

Milo

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Honestly, now that I think about it, I'm tempted to bring a Hobgoblin team to B7. Consider:

15 Hobgobs: 600k
7 RR: 490k
1 FF: 10k

110TV on the dot right there. Lots of fouling to do.

Milo

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

i do regret that CD do not have anymore the troll access, because an "hobgobelin" roster with 1 troll and up to 15 hobgobelins :(
Milo wrote:Honestly, now that I think about it, I'm tempted to bring a Hobgoblin team to B7. Consider:

15 Hobgobs: 600k
7 RR: 490k
1 FF: 10k

110TV on the dot right there. Lots of fouling to do.
I would with less RR, but maximum of FF.
Because big FF allowed to get more easily Fame +2 or at least +1.
Having the Fame does help a lot with fouling strategies. because the nice kickoff for foulers (Pitch invasion and throw a rock) do involved the FAME.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

If you take away 2 RR and FF you can take the mino.....
I would do that.

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

You could do:

15 Hobgobs = 600k
6 RR = 420k
8 FF = 80k

With a +8 on the fans roll, you'll be FAME +2 more often than not. (Your roll between 10-20, your opponents probably between 2-14)

Or, to take the suggestion of a mino:

14 Hobgobs = 560k
1 Mino = 150k
5 RR = 350k
Either 4 FF or 15th Hobgob -- think I'd lean towards FF, in hopes of getting FAME and BC/CF rerolls

You could also substitute the Mino for a BC and 2 FF, or go:

12 Hobgobs = 480k
1 Mino = 150k
2 BC = 260k
3 RR = 210k

...but then you're getting away from having an actual Hobgob team. Undeniably better, but... not the same concept.

Milo

stormmaster1
Star Player
Star Player

Post by stormmaster1 »

I can't see a hobgoblin blitzer feeling right. Hobgoblins are stupid and useless, so i wouldn't have any block to start. For the wolfrider i would either scrap or make secret weopon (mounts are banned but so are chainsaws and fouling)

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

There is a great example of a Hobgoblin team in the OCC. The vicious fouling leaves other teams terrified.

It is between seasons so I can't easily put up their stats, but are a bunch of hobgoblins and a minotaur.

Brot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Brot »

I would think more reduced in the number of positionals. A 'blitzer' in the normal way does not feel right and is not really necessary.

The 2 things people associate with Hobgoblins that the basic Hobgoblin player can't (easily) do as i see it: Stab and Sneaky Git.

The second point is skill access, Hobgoblins are severely limited in that regard (even though you can build a lot with just general skills).

So how about a player with Stab, Sneaky Git and Agility Access?

Then you can think about what kind of 3rd player type would complement the team. Does a player with Strength access sound right on a Hobgoblin Team?

I would definitely stick to 3 player types at the most - it fits the raw nature of the team.

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

I haven't looked at Hobgoblin fluff for a long, long, long time. I do though vaguely remember 2nd edition rules and lots of their little fluffets as I call them (things like 'Did you know . . . ' scattered through the book) mentioning about Hobgoblins being just as likely to fight themselves as the opposition. I would therefore give them a skill that means whenever a blitz is declared on the roll of a 1 the player ignores the intended target and blitzs one of his own players (nearest to him) and also acts like animosity. Yes this would make them pretty useless . . . but we aren't making a tier 1 team here. It would be a lite version of blood lust combined with animosity . . . I'll call it the 'treachery' skill. Hobgoblins in CD teams don't have it as they are under the bearded ones yoke . . . but Hobgoblins left to their own devices implode a lot hence the skill.

Other than that I would keep it very simple in terms of builds -

0-16 Linemen 6/3/3/7 - Treachery
0-2 Stampers 6/3/3/7 - Treachery /Dirty Player / Sneaky Git
0-2 Slashers 6/3/3/7 - Treachery / Stab / Dodge
0-2 Wolf Riders 8/3/3/7 - Treachery / Claws / No Hands (claws and speed from the wolf, no hands as the rider is just holding on).

I left off a big guy because in my head Hobgoblins are about the huge numbers of individually inept players overwhelming teams. Zero ball skills as all the fluff is clear, this is not a team designed to win games by traditional manner i.e score. They would cause and suffer huge numbers of casualties.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

How about...
Hobgoblins occupy a vital rung of the blood bowl world. Without them the game would be poorer for lack of cheap have-a-go assassins, grave robbers, gutter press reporters and personal accident insurance agents. In Chaos Dwarf teams Hobgoblin slaves perform the vital function of giving the Dwarves something to boss around, otherwise they invariably try and enslave each other.

But Hobgoblin teams are surprisingly rare. Their natural traits of cowardice and stupidity don’t lend themselves to bloodbowl. They lack the agility and innovation of a goblin or the robustness of an Orc. The unimaginatively named Hobgoblin Team is the only one to have found at least fame, rivals dream of fortunes but languish in the little leagues. But when the opposition is a no show and the venue owner is desperate, Hobgoblin teams have the chance for a quick buck. Poorly trained and armoured they aren’t much, but woe betides the player foolish enough to turn their backs or hit the dirt!

0-16 Hobgoblins 6/3/3/7 G/APS 40k
0-4 Sneaky Gits 6/3/3/7 Sneaky Git G/APS 60k
0-4 Backstabers 6/3/3/7 Stab G/APS 60k
0-1 Troll 110k
RR 70k
Stars
Lost and Confused 6/3/3/7 Bonehead, Loner 20k
Skurfrik Stone-Sucker 6/3/3/8, Really Stupid, Loner, Wrestle, Fend, Dirty Player 70k
Rashnak Backstabber (200k),
Ripper (270k)
Morg ‘n’ Thorg (430k)

Some other star in the sub 200 category.

Lost and confused is the type of player frequently fielded by Hobgoblin teams. Not a star, or even a journeyman player, but a regular hobgoblin lost in the big city and making the mistake of looking to others of its ilk for help. One helmet fitting later and it is onto the field for its first (and normally last) Blood Bowl appearance!

The idea between him (deliberately very cheap to encourage such fodder to be taken with some spare gold), the troll and Skurfrik is there is enough bonehead and really stupid on the pitch to give the feel of a bunch of players who got the looks? and not the brains, while the opportunistic sneaky git fouling and general stabbing going on makes 'em nice and dirty.
If that is too weak could add the big dirty git 0-4 player.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

For me hobgob rosters should have no big Guy and few big Guy starplayer.

0-4stabbers is a must have. In order to bring something new.
I see them with mv7 stab. And fend or shadowing. (AG on simple)

0-2 kicker with dirty and kick. And agility access on simple.
And that's it...
Maybe (if you want more positionals...) some runners (0-2?) With mv 7 sneaky git and fend?

For starplayer i would give :
- the hobgob stabber
- some gobelin starplayers
- maybe Ripper?

I do like your concept of your anti-starplayer :lol:

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

I would make a Tier 1 team:

0-16 Sneaky Gits: Sneaky Git 6337 G/ASP 40K

0-2 Brute Gits: Block, Shadowing 7337 GS/SP 90K

0-2 Clevva Gits: Strip Ball, Sure Hands 8337 GA/SP 90K

0-2 Cunnin' Gits: Dodge, Side Step, Stab 7337 GA/SP 100K

0-1 Troll: Loner, Always Hungry, Mighty Blow, Really Stupid, Regeneration, and Throw Team-Mate Skills. 4519 S/GAP

Reroll 60K

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

We already have lots of T1 teams, and hobgoblins (as a roster) don't suggest T1 to me at all.

Cowardice (E): this player is a monumental coward - but certainly can talk a good fight. A player with Cowardice can never declare a block against, or offer assists against, an opponent with a higher ST stat than his own. Your players within three squares of a player with Cowardice may add +2 to really stupid and dauntless rolls.

0-16 hobgoblin 40k 6337 G/ASP
0-2 hobgoblin bully 70k 5339 sneaky git, tackle, cowardice GSP/A
0-2 hobgoblin lunatic 80k 6338 frenzy, dauntless GA/SP
0-1 troll 110k 4519 Loner, Mighty Blow, Regeneration, Throw Team-Mate, really stupid, always hungry

Not particularly well thought out, but that's more in line with what I'd like.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co