Dryad Bloodbowl Team

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

monkeynutts
Rookie
Rookie

Dryad Bloodbowl Team

Post by monkeynutts »

Hi all,

I know this has been done before by some people but I wanted to throw this one up for discussion. Slightly play tested vs a stunty and a bashy team. Stunty team was good contest, bashy team did some damage to the weaker players, but ended a draw.

Here's my team idea:
Qty - Name - Stats - Skills - Single Roll - Double Roll - Cost

0-16 - Dryad - 5327 - Take Root, Dislodge, Thick Skull - GS - AP - 70,000gpc
0-2 - Branchwraith - 5427 - Take Root, Dislodge, Fend, Thick Skull - GS - AP - 100,000gpc
0-4 - Swiftbark - 7237 - Take Root, Dislodge, Extra Arms - GAP - S - 100,000
0-2 - Sprite - 6135 - Dodge, Right Stuff, Titchy, Stunty, Side Step - A - GSP - 30,000
0-1 -Treeman - 261(10) - Loner, Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate, Take Root - S - GAP - 120,000

Re-Rolls are 60,000gpc

Dislodge: This skill is used to un-root a rooted player. When you activate a player you must pass an Agility test to see if the players dislodges itself. If passed the player may continue as normal. This an unmodified Agility roll regardless of players that occupy adjacent tackle zones.
If the player fails then they remain rooted and can everything normally except move.
Note: A player that dislodges them self does not need to pass a Take Root test in the same turn.

I have a team of dryads I use as my Wood Elves. I will post a picture here. If you were at ARBBL Tourney in March in the UK you would of seen me using then.

Some starting lineups for TV 1000 are:
1x Tree, 2x Branchwraith, 2x Swiftbark, 2x Sprites, 4x Dryads & 2 ReRolls - 990
2x Branchwraith, 2x Swiftbark, 2x Sprites, 5x Dryads & 3 ReRolls - 980
1x Tree, 2x Branchwraith, 2x Swiftbark, 6x Dryads & 1 ReRolls - 1000

Feel free to throw some thoughts in. Take Root on a all but the Sprites makes the team very tactical as everything you do requires a dice roll with them. I enjoyed the two games I've played with them.
There are no immediate skills as well that are stacked, so progression paths are more open.

Reason: ''
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Dryad Bloodbowl Team

Post by babass »

Very expansive team.

A skelette is cheaper but better than the lineman (regen, and no take root) for almost all the same skills (ok, no access to Strength skills on simple... but still...)
the blocker has only armour 7.
swiftbark are expansive compare to gutter or slanns catcher...
RR are more expansive than slanns.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Hi,

Looks fun, but a couple of points :

1) Your players are overpriced. Take Root is the worst negatrait in the game. So your lineman is a Skeleton (40K) who you have taken Regen away from and added the worst negatrait going. Even though Dislodge does mitigate TR somewhat, it is still a negatrait. He gains S access and the use of an apothecary, but these are zero value additions when costing a player. Clearly a Dryad should be cheaper than a Skeleton, but he's actually 30K more!

Same goes for the other players on some level or another.

2) I can sense the team might be fun on a one off basis. But it is inelegant in terms of design. With the LRB Jervis tried to remove as many dice rolls from the game as he could. This roster does not conform to that design aim. Also adding new skills is fun, but it makes things very messy. You have also added a negatrait to an already weak team. Even if none of the players had TR and were all costed correctly at lower values, this would still be a weak team. Undead with one Treeman instead of two Mummies, ST2 Ghouls without Dodge and Skeletons without regen is the nearest comparison I can make. Branchwraiths might be a trade for Wights because of their ST4, but with AV7 they won't last long.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I'll have a go. For me the joys of making a fan roster is the challenge of creating a balanced roster that plays like you think the race should, but only using the existing BB rules. I love crazy new skills, more than most I think, but using what we already have to create something that FEELS like they should is a great challenge. That is what the existing races do : WEs are fast and evasive, Orcs are slow and strong etc.

Your Dryad roster is slow, difficult to control and fragile.

Warhammer Dryads are the same speed as an Elf but stronger, tougher and at least as agile. They wear a lot less armour though. I don't like to base BB stats around WFB ones, but it does give a rough feel.

This rough idea of how they compare to Elves would never work for a whole team though. An elf but stronger? Too good. But a player doesn't have to be described literally. After all, Humans and Beastmen have the same stat line, but when 3rd ed was written Beastmen had a point of Toughness and an extra wound over a human in WFB. So BB has a much narrower descriptive range.

We do have one thing to go on though : Willow Rosebark. A Dryad star player with stats : 5 4 3 8 Loner, Dauntless, Side Step, Thick Skull.

So back to 'feel' of the team. I'd want a Dryad team to be evasive, elusive. They are magical tree spirits that emerge from the woods after all. So how about this :

0-16 _ Dryads _ 6 3 3 7 _ Side Step, Thick Skull _ 60K _ GA {SP}
0-2 _ Blitzers _ 7 3 3 7 _ Horns, Thick Skull, Wrestle _ 80K _ GAS {P}
0-4 _ Sprites _ 6 1 3 6 _ Dodge, Titchy, Stunty, Side Step _ 30K _ A {GSP}
0-2 _ Treemen _ as normal _ 120K
RRs = 60K
Apo = Yes

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
monkeynutts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by monkeynutts »

Hey,

I originally had:

0-16 - Dryad - 6328 - Take Root, Dislodge, Fend, Thick Skull - GS - AP - 50,000gpc
0-2 - Branchwraith - 6428 - Take Root, Dislodge, Fend, Block, Thick Skull - GS - AP - 100,000gpc
0-4 - Swiftbark - 8238 - Take Root, Dislodge, Extra Arms - GAP - S - 90,000gpcs
0-2 - Sprite - 6135 - Dodge, Right Stuff, Titchy, Stunty, Side Step - A - GSP - 30,000
0-2 -Treeman - 261(10) - Loner, Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Thick Skull, Throw Team-Mate, Take Root - S - GAP - 120,000

but after some play testing I found that higher value armour made them a little too resillient and the swiftbark a little too fast. + two treeman seemed a bit too high powered

gninocker
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gninocker »

@Joe: Building around loner skill as seen on a treeman, might give the team more of a slower approach. The sprites seemed good to me with right stuff. As only one or two players have the TTMskill.

Dislodge could cancel out a TR-roll whether rooted or not? I could for instance reroll a TR-roll to 'stand firm'.

Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Toffer »

having Take Root on all your players is great from a fluff/back-story point of view but unnecessary on your 'lineman' players keep it for a few positionals but not for a 0-16 team choice.