Blood Bowl Cricket

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Stix
Rookie
Rookie

Blood Bowl Cricket

Post by Stix »

Hi all,

In honour of the Ashes which is going on right now, I've been thinking about the possibility of a cricket variant for Blood Bowl. At the moment I don't really know how this could be done, so I decided to see what you guys have to say. Keep in mind I'm quite new to Blood Bowl, so there may be the occasional little thing I don't know about.

Among the aspects that need to be covered are:
- Bowling mechanics
- Batting mechanics
- Fielding mechanics
- Sequence of play
- Field/pitch size
- Races
- Miscellaneous other things.

So with that said, what do you guys think?

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Blood Bowl Cricket

Post by Joemanji »

What would the interaction between players/coaches (i.e. the contest)?

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Stix
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stix »

What exactly do you mean by that?

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

The challenge in Blood Bowl (or chess or draughts) is positional. You put your pieces somewhere, your opponent reacts and puts his somewhere to counter you. The pieces touch and interact with each other. The purpose of the game is contest by proxy - the coaches/players are using the pieces to fight a mental battle.

How does cricket lend itself to that? The models would not interact with each other, only with the ball. The ball could only be represented by dice or luck. Hence : a lack of engaging contest between the participants.

This is only true for a miniatures game that tries to physically represent the action. On a more abstract level (e.g. a card game) it might be fine.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

i guess some people could enjoy a game where only dice are invovled: "throw dice and see what happen" (i definitelly think some people do play bloodbowl that way)

i don't know the rules for crickets, but it looks like joemanji would be right, there seems to be no interaction, unless you have to handle some extra factors (i would think about exhaustion of players maybe (?)).

Stix
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stix »

Admittedly, cricket would rely fairly heavily on luck, with little to no real interaction between opposing players. The way I see it, the contest would be a series of interactions between players and the ball, first by the bowler (who decides on the line and length of the delivery, which is affected by dice rolls determining accuracy), then by the batsman (who uses the bowler's chosen line and length to decide on the ideal type and direction of the stroke played - the direction of the shot is also affected by dice rolls), and finally the fielding team (like Blood Bowl, the coach may move each fielder once, with players picking up and throwing the ball in an attempt to stop the batsmen from making runs).