Octopus Roster

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Octopus Roster

Post by bizzydog217 »

0-4 Octopus Warrior 5/4/2/9 Tentacles 110 GSM
0-4 Octoblitzers 6/3/3/8 Block, Extra Arms 90k GSM
0-16 Octopus Linemen 6/3/2/8 Extra Arms 50K GM
0-1 Cthutlu 5/5/1/9 Loner, Really Stupid, Mighty Blow, Tentacles, 140 SM

Wante them similar to chaos/nurgle without making them overpowered or the other teams obsolete. My first build here what's the thoughts?

Reason: ''
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: Octopus Roster

Post by inkpwn »

I kinda like it, but then again I've always wanted a aquatic team. ^^

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

bizzydog217 wrote:0-4 Octopus Warrior 5/4/2/9 Tentacles 110 GSM
0-4 Octoblitzers 6/3/3/8 Block, Extra Arms 90k GSM
0-16 Octopus Linemen 6/3/2/8 Extra Arms 50K GM
0-1 Cthutlu 5/5/1/9 Loner, Really Stupid, Mighty Blow, Tentacles, 140 SM

Wante them similar to chaos/nurgle without making them overpowered or the other teams obsolete. My first build here what's the thoughts?
I would have thought the shtick for the team would be extra arms and tentacles? Because, well... Would they be agile? What would the implication of EA T on each player be? Certainly no mutation access, them being squidmen not chaos monsters :) Maybe youshould have a team of squid and octopuss :)

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

Putting EA && tentacles on each make them too costly. So you think drop the mutation access. Problem with tentacles on ST 3 players is the opponent with a st 3 player needs to roll two 1's to fail.

Why modifications you think for em? -mutations + eA && T on each? A suggestion of grab was also given

An argument can be made to make them more agile because they are octopus

Cracol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cracol »

Im not really interested in an octopus team specifically but the post above got me thinking. A way to make this team unique is to make all the players have exactly the same starting skills, in this case extra arms and tentacles and nothing else (ie no blitzers with block or catchers with dodge). You can then drop mutation access altogether and differentiate positionals with different starting stats and skill access?
Not sure if this would work or not but just an idea.

"No guy with pride ever relied on no guide sucka!" Mr T
bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

I agree I only think the problem is the tentacles on St3 players. It is a waste of space. Boost is going to fear rolling snake eyes when dodging away. I like the concept of all having those skills only that without increased strength it's a moot point. I want them to be Better than originally posted just trying to stay in realistic parameters && viable option.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Tentacles (Mutation)
The player may use this skill when an opposing player attempts to dodge or leap out of any of his tackle zones. The opposing coach rolls 2D6 adding his player’s ST and subtracting the Tentacles player's ST from the score. If the final result is 5 or less, then the moving player is held firm, and his Action ends immediately. If a player attempts to leave the tackle zone of several players that have the Tentacles skill, only one may attempt to grab him with Tentacles

So you have a 9/36 chance or 1/4 chance of keeping hold of a str 3 player with another str 3 player.

Could have a mollusc squad, octopus bruisers with squid runners :)

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

I've been misreading the skill. Any suggestion on stats for those positionals? I don't wanna be unbalanced

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

0-16 Mollusk 5/3/2/7 Tentacles, Extra Arms. G 50K
0-4 Octopus Bruisers 5/4/2/9 Tentacles, Extra Arms GS 110K
0-4 Squid Runners 7/3/3/8 Tentacles, Extra Arms GA 90K
0-1 Giant Squid 5/5/1/9 Loner, Really Stupid, Mighty Blow, Tentacles, Extra Arms, Grab S 150K

This team is a bit more balanced in a way. I would love to get claws on the Giant Squid (because of the hooks they have) but the rest of the team is pretty good I think.

The Mollusks can be a real annoyance to other players with their tentacles and the extra arms makes ball handling easier for a AG 2 player. Bruisers are like Chaos Warriors. They can't dodge away with low AG but they can handle the ball well and they are a real tie up piece. 4 of them allow a decent allotment of guard/mighty blow. The Runners I would like to see have AG4 but I feel they would be too good then. As is they are a force to be reckoned with for AG teams. Give a runner shadowing and nobody can escape him. They aren't bash but more agile of the cephalapod family. The Giant Squid took Really Stupid (although octopus are very intelligent) because Bonehead makes him too good. Tentacles are highly useful on him and the extra arms make him not completely useless at ball control. Grab is to represent the ability they have to control with their tentacles.

Pros I see:

Four ST4 players and 4 AG access players.
Good at controlling elven teams.
They can be a real bother to anyone dodging and with a few shadowing/tackle/diving tackle you can make a real nightmare to escape from.
Extra Arms allows anyone to get the ball better
Tentacles keeps opponents honest

Cons I see:

Weak linemen, slow and low Ag.
Little escape ability (but you don't really wanna escape)
Out bashed by bash teams and a bit slow for non Runners

Is it balanced or OP in one way or another?

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Something else to think about in terms of models is rather than Nurgle why not Lizardmen? So 2 player types rather than 3.

The Mollusks look a bit poor. EA and ag 2 is worse than ag 3. Tentacles is also not exactly a killer skill. Why not 6/3/2/8 T, EA, 60k?
The extra strength suggests a bash team ultimately but is it warrented? If not that what else could they have?
The runners are meant to develop into blodge blitzer types?
I don't think the big guy needs grab, that can be something it develops into. As to his cost and abilities bar str 5, EA and T it would probably be dictated by how much the team is costing, what sorts of starting squads you could field and how you think they fit tv wise into things.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I think he's trying specifically to design a team that is a bit under the tier 1s, but useful. I actually like the mollusk proposal as it is.

I'd love to see the minis for this one. :D

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

I like the 2nd iteration much better than the first, 'feels' much better.

One thing from both a fluff and playability perspective on the big guy. Cephalopods are very intelligent so giving one Really Stupid isn't that fluffy, also if you give him Wild Animal even if he fails his Negatrait roll he doesn't release his prey. Obviously the down side is that unless he is bltizing he is much less manouverable.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

I agree that these animals are intelligent just thought wild animal would make him too powerful, although fluff wise I like it a lot

I'm trying to make a team that is not as good as some "real" teams so if ever propose to a league vote it is more likely to pass

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Don't worry with no starting skills I think you will get that!

I would be hesitant on st4 as the oppo already has to make lots of tentacle rolls making it harder isn't necessarily needed,makes the suckers more effective too...

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

What would you put in place of my bruisers? I would hate to build a crappy AG team or ST team. I Want them viable still