Dwarven agility

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Dwarven agility

Post by fidius »

It bothers me that dwarves have AG2. Dwarves should not have any more difficulty picking up the ball than Orcs or Humans do. However, I get that they shouldn't be able to dodge very well.

In the spirit of ideas for future alternate (or official) rules, what do people think of giving all dwarves AG3, but introducing a trait (E skill) called Heavyset, which subtracts 1 from every dodge attempt due to their low center of gravity? This may or may not apply to Break Tackle. Blitzers and Runners would not have Heavyset.

Would this change the dynamic of a Dwarf team? It's a net buff, but is it a significant one? Would you have it apply to BT? Is there anything you'd remove to counter the Agility buff? Thinking something along the lines of: taking away Thick Skull, but adding to Heavyset something related to dwarven hardiness, such as a -1 to armour rolls resulting from hitting the ground (dodges and GFIs) because they're already so close to it.

Fidius

Reason: ''
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Dwarven agility

Post by mzukerman »

That's an interesting concept. I kind of like it. Chaos Dwarves would get it also. I might be inclined to take away thick skull and add the -1 factor as you said it but then add 10K to their cost?

As for break tackle, I'd probably not use it for there. Thematically it doesn't make sense. They try to use their agility but if they fail, they get the option to use strength which is a different way of escaping. And they only get to do that once per turn.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Lychanthrope
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lychanthrope »

Everything being proposed makes dwarfs a better team, and THAT is the LAST d@^* thing I want to see happen to the BB ruleset. :o

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Id prefer they all had AG2 but blitzers and runners had Break Tackle. Each to their own :P

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

4+ is not that hard, it is just psychologically set in your mind that you can't succeed, but dwarves handle ball as they should and in the money time i saw more than one dwarf using the passing play to score. Of course you do this only if you don't have other options but which team does ?

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

Lychanthrope wrote:Everything being proposed makes dwarfs a better team, and THAT is the LAST d@^* thing I want to see happen to the BB ruleset. :o
I couldn't agree with you more. But in the pipe dream that is the future of this game, things get re-vamped, and Dwarfs get fixed. So for example what if Dwarfs get AG3 and Heavyset, lose Thick Skull, Blockers lose Block in favour of defensive-only block, and lose Tackle in favour of anti-dodge Tackle (not anti-DefStumbles)? Then maybe even Blockers 0-6 and new Linos 0-16?

Again, pipe dream, but there's lots about Dwarfs that needs fixing.

Anyway, the Agility -- is it a significant difference? In the last few desperation plays of the game it could be... But then again they already have 4x ag3 players so maybe it makes no difference.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'd rather the stat lines were changed so there's one stat for ball-handling and one for dodging and the like.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

So Dwarves are not broken enough for you already?
Burn the roster down and start again.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

If Dwarfs were broken then I would use them more often.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Dwarfs are boring, not broken, in my opinion their Tackle spam is excessive though, only Blitzers should have Tackle.
Btw if you think Dwarfs are op make a team, play them for a while, you will discover their weaknesses (low ag, low movement, tactical rigidity).

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Play dwarves! I only get involved in self abuse with a better pay off.

If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Oh and don't feed the troll :D

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

Nice idea. Had not thought of it nor heard of it before.

I believe that 4 stats is a nice line, anything more than that gets complicated. But there's an argument for both an Agility split and a new Toughness stat imo. Toughness would relate to the Injury roll and could go up or down with improvement rolls and casualties, could improve Norse/Skeleton/Big Guy resilience, eliminate fiddling with Thick Skull, Stunty, and niggles, etc.

Dwarves need an anti-Elf skill that doesn't affect stunty and AG3 so much. And the Block spam is silly when you consider Norse and their weaknesses. And Thick Skull... just overkill. There has to be a better approach. AG2 but ignore tacklezones on dodges like Stunty due to their small stature, that might be entertaining with Break Tackle... Going off on a rabbit trail here.