Potential unusual tournament idea - David and Goliath league

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Potential unusual tournament idea - David and Goliath league

Post by Twelfman »

Hi all,

Just had a random idea, tell me what you think.

Coaches across every race of the Auld World constantly seek out new ways to improve their players. For some, the ends entirely justify the means. The trickster God Tzeentch, bored with a particularly stale looking upcoming season, has decided to 'spice up' the competition by giving coaches just that - the perfect player...

The gist of it would be something like this:

1,100,000 gold pieces

In addition, one of the 0-16 players on your team has been chosen by Tzeentch to become a veritable legend- if only for a short time. To reflect this, the player may be given up to six skills/upgrades. Two as if a 5,5 was rolled, two as if a 6,5 was rolled, and two as if a 6,6 was rolled (so basically, you can take up to 4 doubles & 2 normal skills, up to 6 stat upgrades, 6 normal skills, or a combination of all of them!). Not only that, but if the player does not already have access to Mutation skills, they may take mutation skills on double rolls.

Unfortunately, such skills do carry a certain level of hubris - as such, the player also gains the Loner rule.

No star players may be taken. There's only room for one star on this team!

If it were a one dayer there would be spot prizes for the most 'golaith' kills by a 'david', that sort of thing.

I'm sure there are many ways this system could be hugely broken, but that's the point! Who doesn't want the opportunity to field a Strength 4 Agi 5 Blodge Halfling? Or a Str5 Block Tackle Mighty Blow Claw Line-elf? The idea being people can build a player in any way they want, maybe to be a killer, ball carrier, roadblock, whatever they want. No one else gets any skills. Should be an interesting day!

Anyway, what do you think? Good for a laugh?

Reason: ''
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Potential unusual tournament idea - David and Goliath le

Post by Itchen Masack »

Trumpkin, I'm always up for more interesting ways to enjoy this hobby and so appreciate your efforts, but I'm kinda put off by the superstar idea in that it may have the reverse effect!

There already exists the cheesefest Amazon roster with Roxanna, I'd really prefer it if the other boring races weren't allowed to make their own Roxanna+ as well :)

but I might be wrong and it might be an awesome day, so let us know how it goes

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

So it's a standard tournament build of 1.1M GP plus six skills except you give all six to the one player?
It won't be the Amazon's who benefit, it'll be the high AV teams. I suspect it'd be a race to kill the opposing star player, so high AV teams will benefit from it being that bit harder to do.
I am curious to see just what monstrous players could be created under these rules tho'...

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Itchen Masack wrote:but I might be wrong and it might be an awesome day, so let us know how it goes
Haha, it's very much theoretical at this point! If it turns out no one likes the sound of it, then there's no point in running one. :)

Vanguard wrote:So it's a standard tournament build of 1.1M GP plus six skills except you give all six to the one player?
Bingo!
Vanguard wrote:I am curious to see just what monstrous players could be created under these rules tho'...
I know, that's what got me thinking about it >:D

I was thinking it's rare to see a player get their 6th skill, and if you could get a player that far, how would you build them? If you could make them however you wanted, what would you do? Are there any skill combos you've always thought would work really well, but have never had the opportunity to try as it's been too unfeasible?

Did you always wonder what a S4 Halfling with Horns could do? Or an Agi 4 Dwarf Blocker? Or an Agi 5 Mv10 Leaping skink?

There's a reason I'd want it limited to 0-16 players though. Otherwise things could get insane. That, and everyone would just play Chaos and beef up their Warriors.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

There's a Human Catcher in our league with ST4, MV10, Sprint. He's a beast.

We roll skills after games with opponents watching and generally trust each other. Those skills are honest.

I've beat that guy down, fouled him, bought bribes just to foul him more. Hasn't helped. Most I've ever done was a BH. One time he failed a turn 16 go for it on a one turn score attempt, I broke armor, took like two solid minutes shaking the dice under my opponent's face ... only stunned. Oh well.

And yes, this guy is bloat, and the coach knows it's bloat, but this is a game and it's supposed to be fun so he's getting fielded until he dies.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

That's the thing with Bloat. I know full well an Ogre doesn't need a +Str.... But emotionally, I want it. I once saw a Vampire on Fumbbl that was S6 Agi5, but that's the most nuts one I've seen.

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Nice idea- but something similar has been done I think:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32703&hilit=isle

Not sure what the rulespack feedback was like, but winner (jim) had:

Troll w/ Block, Claw, Tentacles, Guard
Blitzer w/ Clawpomb, Guard
Blitzer w/ Clawpomb Tackle