Hive Insect Team

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

CrudeDoodle
Rookie
Rookie

Hive Insect Team

Post by CrudeDoodle »

Over on the blood-bowl reddit there is a team idea that cropped up today that I would like to take a look at. The user SassyMoron proposed a generally fragile/low strength team that starts with lots of guard. Based on that idea this is what I roughly came up with. I am looking for feedback from every angle. This is my first attempt ever at a custom team and I know their is going to be a lot wrong with this design. Also all names are placeholders and kinda boring

Team Name: Chitin?

Drone 50,000 gold 0-16 MV6/ST2/AG3/AV7 General Access

Starting Skills: Guard, Thick Skull, Hivemind

Soldier 80,000 gold 0-4 MV6/ST2/AG3/AV7 General/Agility Access

Starting Skills: Guard, Thick Skull, Dauntless, Block, Hivemind

Queen 170,000 gold 0-1 MV5/ST5/AG2/AV9 Strength Access

Starting Skills: Wild Animal, Claw, Thick Skull, Sure Feet, Stab, Leader

70k Starting Team Rerolls

Hivemind: If the queen is not on the pitch gain Frenzy and Wild animal.

This is roughly how I would do it and price it explanations forthcoming.

Guard represents the swarm nature. Thick Skull Represents the exoskeleton, Dauntless/Block seems like it would be a real fun str2 blitzer and interacts well with Guard.

With only STR2 pieces and the insect theme it made sense to me to remove loner from the queen. Claw and Stab on a piece together I think makes a fun dynamic for a big bug. Stabs the squishies, claw the buff ones. Sure Feet seemed to make sense with having multiple legs and gives a little bit of mobility to keep up with other pieces. Leader just made sense for the leader of the colony. Negatrait I am least sure on and debated wild animal, bonehead or really stupid for a while. Hivemind custom skill was based on the idea JohnnyFeyev proposed in the reddit post and is the simplest way I could think of implementing it.

So please share your wisdom and help me avoid pitfalls when revising this idea and on future designs. Especially share wisdom on how to better format posts like this for the forum.

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Funnily enough, I've had a conversation with someone else about a similarly themed team before (quite recently).

The guard theme's quite nice, but very probably OP? Maybe dropping it from the line position would be a good move.

I also suspect there's a way to get the effect you're after with the Queen without creating a new skill to cover it. I'm not sure queens are that fast, aren't they usually big and slow? Negatraits don't really 'fit' for me for then, given they're the brains of the operation.

How's this as an alternative?

0-16 Drone 50k 7237 dodge, stunty A/GSP
0-2 flyer 70k 7237 leap, very long legs, disturbing presence GA/SP
0-4 Soldier 80k 6238 guard, dauntless, block, stunty GS/AP
0-1 Hivequeen 150k 3519 leader, fan favourite, mighty blow S/GAP
Apoth (yes) Rerolls 70k

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Hive Insect Team

Post by babass »

70k Starting Team Rerolls
Why 70kpo?
For balance reason?

For fluff reason, 50k would be more logic. As those insects races should have a very high level of organization.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Really don't like "new" skills.

Would you consider dropping "hive mind" and using something like really stupid / bonehead?

Do like the idea.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

glowworm wrote:Really don't like "new" skills.

Would you consider dropping "hive mind" and using something like really stupid / bonehead?

Do like the idea.
or loner?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Jeez, not Loner. It's a hive queen!

My thinking on suggesting 70k reroll and the Queen having leader is that youre explicitly getting the cohesiveness bonus only when she's on the pitch. It would give your opponent a nice big fat target, which means powerful as she is you're going to want to defend her at all times. Also: "leader"! What could be more appropriate for a queen?

Likewise fan favourite (which is a little shakier, admittedly) would mean that while she's on the pitch she'd be a cheerleader and a coach in one, as well as able to influence fan events (thrown rock and pitch invasion).

If you base her on the mummy, swap regen for leader and then maybe add a chunk of cash on for Fan Favourite, I think youre a long way towards the hive mind without inventing new skills.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co