Novel (?) idea - Multi Block Guard Grab Spam

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Novel (?) idea - Multi Block Guard Grab Spam

Post by Kaiowas »

Thinking of trying an approach whereby I maximise # of blocks and potentially surfing by simply spamming the above skills. I'd probably avoid Might Blow (at least early on) in order to have complete control over the pitch

Obviously Dorfs are the way to go as they
A) can take advantage with great base skills for blocking
B) have dauntless guys prebuilt to take advantage of multiblock
C) have widespread strength access

its still percolating in my brain and mostly comes from the fact I have the amazing Iron Golems team that I want to put to some use and I want to have some fun playing with them rather than just do the normal Dorf thing.

In my imagination, I could "pass" players along the line until they are close enough to crowd. Obviously if im not near the sideline i'd just keep the guys im blocking within my formation until I can knock them down. I could turn 1 or two blocks per turn into easily 5 or 6 regardless of whether there are many pieces based or not. Thinking of being able to isolate that CPOMBer early, off the pitch one way or another or simply separate from his pals behind my line with no assists?

I have extremely little experience with Dorfs and this may not be a novel idea at all! feel free to point me in direction of something similar. Also very open to other teams/rosters to work this from,
Maybe Chaos, Pact, Orcs or Nurgle but I think the Dorfs are the best suited to it from the start, especially in how long it would take to develop the skills and overall TV of an effective team with this goal

Reason: ''
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Novel (?) idea - Multi Block Guard Grab Spam

Post by Itchen Masack »

Was about to write that the Dauntless players on Dwarves have Frenzy and this would affect the plan, but then I checked and realised Multi-block can be used to prevent Frenzy taking effect. Never knew that :)

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

Itchen Masack wrote:Was about to write that the Dauntless players on Dwarves have Frenzy and this would affect the plan, but then I checked and realised Multi-block can be used to prevent Frenzy taking effect. Never knew that :)

Haha I hadn't even thought about the clash!

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

Next I wondered when Dauntless was calculated, and it does seem to be after the +2Str is added to each target. So you'd most likely be needing a couple of 3+ to pass dauntless on each (str3) opponent and an assist to get a 2d block. Not reliable enough me!

This has me interested now, and wondering if perhaps a Chaos Warrior (str4) with Multi-block and Dauntless would work. Needing only a 2+ to pass dauntless on str3 targets.

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

Itchen Masack wrote:Next I wondered when Dauntless was calculated, and it does seem to be after the +2Str is added to each target. So you'd most likely be needing a couple of 3+ to pass dauntless on each (str3) opponent and an assist to get a 2d block. Not reliable enough me!

This has me interested now, and wondering if perhaps a Chaos Warrior (str4) with Multi-block and Dauntless would work. Needing only a 2+ to pass dauntless on str3 targets.
good points here, obviously the guard spam and good positioning could make it more reliable.

Chaos warrior is a good shout but obviously missing the dauntless, starting block and a damn sight more expensive, while the rest of the pieces on the chaos team are less robust and prepared for the overall goal of the team

i really like the idea of total pitch control, it would be nice to see how a grab spammed roster (like block for norse or leap for slann, dodge for amazon) would work too.

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

Let me know how you get on :) Although with dwarves and guard spam, not sure they need anything else.

Other than to not be dwarves ofc :)

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

Itchen Masack wrote:Let me know how you get on :) Although with dwarves and guard spam, not sure they need anything else.

Other than to not be dwarves ofc :)

absolutely, i dont think its about making them more successful, more just to have a bit more fun and take the focus off the power game grind. Mighty blow may not be necessary when I'm knocking your guys down 25% more than normal for example.

I am loathe to use Dwarves but I guess not playing them in the same old fashioned is actually some form of redemption?

I'll create a team on fumbbl when i get home and play some over the next few days. Then i'll work on painting the IG models and fall in love with them enough to bring them out on TT. The wife has already expressed an interest in learning against stout teams as her skaven are "squishy"

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

imagine it with a bomber hired.... drag guys into an area and then lob in a nice wee explosive

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I'd like to share some thoughts on this if I can...

Interesting idea in theory, but reasons it wouldn't work (also in theory) is that it will leave all your Dwarfs out of position. You can't really commit your whole team down one side of the pitch due to them being so slow, you need to spread them thin hence the need for Guard Spam on the Strength three players. I mean this in the case of surfing players.

You could use the combination of skills you described though for controlling the pitch and maximising on blocks. Plus helping against them annoying Side Steppers.

In my (limited) experience the Troll Slayer (Frenzy) is used to make the pitch thinner/surf players and to threaten Big Guys. It's a shame Frenzy and Grab don't work together, but would be too powerful really.

I think once you've had a few games with them you will see how much you need Guard, but also I do think you could be onto something with you second/third skill. Dwarfs are tough team to win with, one mistake and it's game over. Far from the auto click win that people make them out to be IMO. Good Luck

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

Yea, I agree that the surfing can't be focus but I'm fairly certain I could set up some situation specific set plays that don't drag me too far out of position for some spot surfing ;). Guard is definitely a widespread initial skill which will make it feel quite cookie cutter for a while but I think once we get to second skill the fun starts

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

As an update its going awfully! I put it down to not having played much with dwarves in the past (hundreds of games with humans changes the mindset)

I haven't actually skilled up any longbeards yet so that's a hindrance to the idea (most are on 2 or 3 spp so its coming) and that will be the true test of the concept.

I've spent too much time playing up TV and taking bombers and hurting myself (I actually long passed a bomb to an opponent successfully as a last ditch defence but he caught it while carrying the ball and threw it to one side). Also RIPed one of my slayers on a fumbled bomb, lost the other to an injury/retirement so I haven't actually been able to build a team yet

think for my fifth game I'll try to play a bit smarter and go with magic cards or dirty tricks instead! I cant bring myself to take a babe because its such a niche usage with widespread thick skull.

Overall I've been in good positions to win or draw but sort of shot myself in the foot. I need to work on my defensive set ups and consider what I need to do to break down a cage other than just stymie it

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Someone I know puts his Dwarf Bomber on the LOS, throw the bomb and even if he fumble's it he's a dwarf with with high AV etc.

Dwarfs are a hard team to win with, i've only had a handful of games, something I leant is don't go after anything, keep your defensive line in tact and don't over commit. Even if it looks like you can make a break through with a few players, don't go anywhere without that cage.
Breaking the cage is hard. Either force them to score early or stop them scoring at all. I know it's harder than it sounds. Maybe Might Blow on a longbeard to smash stuntys and tricksy elves with dodge etc. This will make them think twice about stalling when they are loosing a player every turn.

Goodluck

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

frogboy wrote:Someone I know puts his Dwarf Bomber on the LOS, throw the bomb and even if he fumble's it he's a dwarf with with high AV etc.

Dwarfs are a hard team to win with, i've only had a handful of games, something I leant is don't go after anything, keep your defensive line in tact and don't over commit. Even if it looks like you can make a break through with a few players, don't go anywhere without that cage.
Breaking the cage is hard. Either force them to score early or stop them scoring at all. I know it's harder than it sounds. Maybe Might Blow on a longbeard to smash stuntys and tricksy elves with dodge etc. This will make them think twice about stalling when they are loosing a player every turn.

Goodluck
thanks, im trying to stay away from the normal MB track to see how the pitch control grab works out, if it doesn't ill trash it!

i keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. i definitely need to beat the "push your luck" trait out of me as you say. I held an orc team for 8 turns and a khemri team within one GFI of a 1-0 shut out but then the second half vs orcs they get a blitz and tie me down and vs khemri the gfi fails

this is all moot stuff until i actually skill some longbeards :( all my MVPs have been on dead/journeymen or the skill position guys....

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Stupid dead guys always stealing the SPP's :(

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

I'm now 5-6-5 in true dorf fashion. got my first multi block guy. The grab thing isn't spammed yet but I've already been punishing folk on the sidelines, probably to my own detriment!

still just having difficulty getting SPP for my lineman, the 4+ with rr hand off is still not easy it seems!

I'm trying to feed them as much and keeping the SPP hogs out of it where possible (darn AG3)

Also I've rolled +MA 4 times and +AG already on this team. I feel like i'd be better off playing the fast break style!