Option to re-roll winnings or mvp

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Option to re-roll winnings or mvp

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi everyone,

In our league one of the coaches put this up to the group for discussion.

If you win a game you can re-roll either the winnings or the mvp.

My caveat was that the player has to decide which before either roll is made.

What does everyone think?

Also, perhaps the winning side already has too many "bonuses". Maybe the losing team should get something more than what they do.

Cheers,
Michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Option to re-roll winnings or mvp

Post by harvestmouse »

You gain absolutely nothing by rerolling before either roll is made. Basically you're gambling with a 50/50.

Giving the losing team the option to reroll the MVP is a much better idea.

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

In our league, you get to reroll the MVP if you play with a fully painted team.

Nice incentive to get those teams finished

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

harvestmouse wrote:You gain absolutely nothing by rerolling before either roll is made. Basically you're gambling with a 50/50.
This adjustment gives coaches a choice that they didn't have before. A coach can decide what is most important to them (the chance to re-roll cash or the chance to re-roll mvp).
harvestmouse wrote:Giving the losing team the option to reroll the MVP is a much better idea.
I am kind of thinking this as well. Both League Points and Win Percentages are very important in our league structure so I don't feel games are deliberately lost.
Bakunin wrote:In our league, you get to reroll the MVP if you play with a fully painted team. Nice incentive to get those teams finished.
Our league is pretty easy on proxies. We have people with cardboard cutouts and heroclix subs. I absolutely prefer painted figures, but I would rather have people play than not play.

What should I do regarding ties? Just keep the re-roll for cash only or give both teams their own choice perhaps?

Cheers,
Michael

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

celticgriffon wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:You gain absolutely nothing by rerolling before either roll is made. Basically you're gambling with a 50/50.
This adjustment gives coaches a choice that they didn't have before. A coach can decide what is most important to them (the chance to re-roll cash or the chance to re-roll mvp).
Well no it doesn't give any choice. A reroll is rerolling a dice roll. As you have no idea what the roll will be, it's not a reroll. With the rules as they are, you see the winnings roll and then see if it needs rerolling or not. Rerolling a blind dice is not rerolling at all. If you played it the way you are suggesting (as I understand it) it's a nerf rather than a buff (unless they're given the choice to play it as the official rules).

I roll a 5, don't see the dice and decide I want to reroll it. Basically the original roll didn't exist. If you then show me it after I have rerolled, then it's a by-fact. I have taken the chance to reroll it purely on an uninformed guess.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

celticgriffon wrote:Well no it doesn't give any choice. A reroll is rerolling a dice roll. As you have no idea what the roll will be, it's not a reroll. With the rules as they are, you see the winnings roll and then see if it needs rerolling or not. Rerolling a blind dice is not rerolling at all. If you played it the way you are suggesting (as I understand it) it's a nerf rather than a buff (unless they're given the choice to play it as the official rules).

I roll a 5, don't see the dice and decide I want to reroll it. Basically the original roll didn't exist. If you then show me it after I have rerolled, then it's a by-fact. I have taken the chance to reroll it purely on an uninformed guess.
Perhaps I wasn't clear on the explanation. I guess we will have to disagree on this.

I win the game. I then choose what is most important to me. It is either winnings or the MVP. I then choose that item to have a re-roll if I want it.

If I like the first roll then the potential re-roll is wasted. But if I don't like the roll I now have a second chance at something better.

In the game would you rather make a dodge with a player with the dodge skill or without the skill? Even if you don't use it the re-assurance of the re-roll makes it a safer play and a better bet at getting a result which is favourable.

Cheers,
Michael

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh got it.

To clarify:

1. Elect whether you want to reroll winnings or MVP.
2. Roll the elected roll.
3. Declare whether you want to reroll it or not.
4. Either reroll or don't reroll the one you chose.

Then yeah, that's perfectly fine. I still prefer loser gets to reroll mvp though. Especially in a League setting.