Skill Idea Archive: Passing

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Baron Ollie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Baron Ollie »

Pass Attack:

The player making the pass may throw the ball at a member of the opposing team. This may only be performed in the quick or short pass ranges. The player targeted by the pass may catch on a -3. If they fail the catch they are struck by a ST4 block as if it came from the direction of the pass. Assists do count. If the ball is not caught or picked up on a bounce by the passing team, it still counts as a turnover.

Reason: ''
bite. me. nuffle.

Apprentice Blasphemer & Lightning Rod
NBA
->[i]Nuffle Hater since... 1994[/i]
Coach, Indivisibles, Maia, and Bloody Mummers: PBEMBBL
[b][url=http://www.hattrick.org]Hattrick[/url][/b] Addict :D - TBB Cup II Winner!
Sixpack595
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Sixpack595 »

I like the idea of trying to bean someone, but why not just allow the target an intercept attempt? It is still -2 for int, no +1 for accurate, and TZs would make it harder...AKA you still almost allways need a 6.

Also how about using the throwers Str? A Gobbo shouldn't throw as hard as an Ogre IMHO.
Baron Ollie wrote:Pass Attack:

The player making the pass may throw the ball at a member of the opposing team. This may only be performed in the quick or short pass ranges. The player targeted by the pass may catch on a -3. If they fail the catch they are struck by a ST4 block as if it came from the direction of the pass. Assists do count. If the ball is not caught or picked up on a bounce by the passing team, it still counts as a turnover.

Coach better, cry less.
Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

Would this cause a turnover? It would make it quite bad if it did but losing the ball pretty much always does.

Perhaps you could try to bounce the ball off an opponent to your own player, would be a good way of clearing zones on the catcher :)

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Circular_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Circular_Logic »

Check out Bullet Throw on BloodBowl.net

Früher hasste ich es zu Hochzeiten zu gehen. Tanten und großmütterliche Bekannte kamen zu mir, pieksten mich in die Seite, lachten und sagten:"Du bist der Nächste." Sie haben mit dem Scheiss aufgehört als ich anfing, auf Beerdigungen das gleiche zu tun.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,

>Pass Attack
No disrespect intended, but I can't imagine a single situation where this skill is useful. If you've got the ball, then why would you want to throw it away if that results in a turnover?
Unless the opposing player is a halfling, then he has a better than 50% chance of getting back on his feet immediately, in which case he'll be able to steal the ball that you've so conveniently left on the ground!

Why not say that if the pass does find it's mark then it is not a TO?
That way you would need to make the same roll as an ordinary pass to that location, meaning that it would not be easy to abuse.

Martin :)

cyagen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by cyagen »

Hi everyone,

I am returning to BB after discovering the free LRB :D . However, with the new traits rules I found out that the development of some players tends to be a little too much similar. I think that we need new skills in order to get more variety back in the game.

Please note that when I am designing a skill (and I hope that everybody does so also), I try to follow these rules:

a)The skill should be simple in application and/or resolves itself on one die roll

b)The mechanism of the skill should be quickly explainable to a 6 year old

c)A skill should be useful, there is no point in creating a skill that will be used only one time per game

d)The skill should be balanced

e)Have fun!!!!

So here are my proposals (some maybe duplicate of stuff I read here, please forgive that) (I got others in the ST and General section)

Passing skills

Lob (I seen something named perfect spiral that looked like it): The player throws the ball in a high arc trajectory so that it floats and allow for a better positioning of the catcher. However, players from the other teams may also use that extra time. Game effect: The player that tries to catch/intercept the ball has an extra +1 bonus to his test, even if the ball is not accurate. Not that this skill may not be used with Safe throw, TTM and HMP.

Bullet throw (may be a way of using the ball as a weapon): This player throws the ball so hard that it may injure a receiver that fails to catch it. Game effect: If the pass is accurate and the receiver fails to catch the ball, then this player must make an Armour roll.

Scramble: Game effect: The player that completed completed a pass move continue is movement after he throws the ball, provided that he still has movement allowance to do so.
Hi everyone,

I am returning to BB after discovering the free LRB . However, with the new traits rules I found out that the development of some players tends to be a little too much similar. I think that we need new skills in order to get more variety back in the game.

Please note that when I am designing a skill (and I hope that everybody does so also), I try to follow these rules:
a) The skill should be simple in application and/or resolves itself on one die roll
b) The mechanism of the skill should be quickly explainable to a 6 year old
c) A skill should be useful, there is no point in creating a skill that will be used only one time per game
d) The skill should be balanced
e) Have fun!!!!

So here are my proposals (some maybe duplicate of stuff I read here, please forgive that)

Passing skills

Lob (I seen something named perfect spiral that looked like it): The player throws the ball in a high arc trajectory so that it floats and allow for a better positioning of the catcher. However, players from the other teams may also use that extra time. Game effect: The player that tries to catch/intercept the ball has an extra +1 bonus to his test, even if the ball is not accurate. Not that this skill may not be used with Safe throw, TTM and HMP.

Bullet throw (may be a way of using the ball as a weapon): This player throws the ball so hard that it may injure a receiver that fails to catch it. Game effect: If the pass is accurate and the receiver fails to catch the ball, then this player must make an Armour roll.

Scramble: Game effect: The player that completed completed a pass move continue is movement after he throws the ball, provided that he still has movement allowance to do so.

Feedback and criticism is encouraged.

Vero
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vero »

Thereabouts: Fumbled pass is counted as inaccurate on a 3+.

[size=67]Signatuuri.[/size]
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Perfect Spiral. Passing skill (v2.0).
If this player did not move any squares on a passing action, the attempt to catch said pass is made with an additional +1 modifier.

Martin :)

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Stab Pass passing skill/trait?

When this player has declared a hand-off action, he may throw a quick pass instead of giving a normal hand-off. All the normal rules for throwing a quick pass apply - except that this does not use up the teams pass action.

How do you like this? :D
Martin

kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Post by kithor2002 »

What about this:

'Ready to Go'

A prone player with this skill may standup(using 3 moving points) if a ball carrier wants to handoff the ball to him.If the handoff was successful he may move afterwards.

laffin-loon
Experienced
Experienced

Post by laffin-loon »

For the record (discussion post elsewhere)...

Hi there.

This is an idea that I've been mulling over the last few weeks. Really it's designed for Gobbos and 'Flings; although for some reason I've made it....

Provoke - Passing Skill -

When your opponent activates a player adjacent to this player you may try to provoke your opponent into making a block action against your player instead of the action that they would have made. You roll one die and add your opponents total strength (after assists) to it. Your opponent rolls a die and adds one more than your total strength to it. After both players have rolled, your opponent may choose to reroll his/her die, using their team reroll for the turn, but must accept their second result. If your roll is higher your opponent must block your player instead of taking their original action. The skill provoke may only be used once by only one player each opposition turn.

So, your player is a wind up merchant good at making opponents take rash actions. However it is nigh impossible to make a weaker opponent take a swing at you. Useful to stop any ST4 or especially ST5 ball carriers from getting cheeky. However the downside is that this player is definately going to get hit alot :D

Probabilities.

Equal strength - 10/36 chance of success

Enemy 1ST higher - 15/36
Enemy 2ST higher - 21/36
Enemy 3ST higher - 26/36
Enemy 4ST higher - 30/36

Enemy 1ST lower - 6/36
Enemy 2ST lower - 3/36
Enemy 3 ST lower - 1/36

Comments...

I put it into passing catagory as I imagine QBs as being naturally lippy people. :smoking: . Also it shouldn't be available to all linemen. Like leader I imagine...

The +1 on your opps roll is to stop the probabality of success from being too good.

Maybe you shouldn't be able to use this skill on anyone with a lower ST. One is six is too high a probability to make that WE catcher take on your human block lineman one on one. Although it would be quite funny... :)

Lychanthrope
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lychanthrope »

Pass Route:

A player with the pass route skill may split their MA into two segments allowing the player to run into the open, the thrower to throw or move and throw the ball, then the player can use the rest of their MA.

Kinda like a timing route in real football.

DG_Slider
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DG_Slider »

reservoirelves wrote:How about this?

Pump Fake: When a player with this skill throws a pass, opponents with Pass Block move D3 squares instead of 3 squares.
We are trying a little different take on this idea:

Pump Fake: A player with this skill can manipulate defenders out of position by pump faking. When the player declares a pass and an opposing player utilizes Pass Block, then the thrower may select a different receiver on a successful d6 roll of 3+. Note that if the pass block results in an opponent in an adjacent square then the thrower still receives the negative modifier.

-Slider

"Remember light travels faster then sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

Now that's an interesting idea. May just try that one out.

"In Dodge We Trust"
whitetiger
Star Player
Star Player

Post by whitetiger »

I like the Scramble skill. Just make it good for use after handing off the ball as well as throwing.

Something like:

This player may continue to move after having thrown or handed off the ball up to their regular movement allowance.

It's a Dark Elf world, we just let you live in it to provide fresh victims. - and I still want an Executioner to kill sauruses with.