Star of the Tzar

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Star of the Tzar

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
I've recently found out that my Kislev team has been discussed on this list. Unfortunately it wasn't the finalized version. So, I'd love to present you with the real team, and the thoughts behind it.

Let me start by saying that I don't want to have a BB team for every human race. I actually tried to design such teams a long time ago, but just ended up with a bunch of stats rather than real teams.

The only team that stuck with me was the Kislev team, because it had clear cut design idea/playing style. The Kislev team was supposed to be a very defensive team, mind you, a defence that didn't work by simply stomping the opposition into the ground.

The basic premise is simple:
Kislev has always played a key role in the defense against chaos - if Kislev falls, so will all of the old world. This has affected Kislevite mentality (and hence their Blood Bowl) in such a way that the Kislevites much prefer "not losing" over "winning at all cost".

*The Kislev Team*
0-12 60K Linemen, sidestep, G
0-4 90K Cossack blockers, Block+Tackle, G+ST
0-2 90K Wings, Catch+PBlock, G+AG
0-2 70K Kickers, Kick+punt(HMP), G
ReRolls 40K, No Big Guy, Apothecary, Wizard
(*If using the CJ kicking rules, kickers cost 80K and get KI skills)

------------

So, I wanted to create a team that was very strong on defense. These were the steps/thoughts I went through:

1) The players had to have "human" stats.

2) The strong defense had to be offset by something. A weak offense seemed a good choice.

3) I wanted the team to be based on some of the less used defensive skills. As players gain more skills they can then reinforce this aspect. (if they start with all the strong skills, they won't pick the weak ones).

4) a subjective list of defensive skills:
GEN: tackle, strip ball, pass block, shadowing, kick
AG: (new) diving tackle, side step, jump up
ST: stand firm, guard
PAS: dump off, HMP

IMO, The power skills are guard, diving tackle and stand firm. Neither are on the starting roster.

5) A weak offense to me means no MA above 6. This made shadowing uninteresting as a starting skill.

6) A weak offense also means that the team should not have access to both AG and PA skills.
As I wanted access to (new) diving tackle, I chose AG access over PA.

7) The team should be good at repelling an offense - as opposed to simply hammering it into the ground. Plain violence has been done before.

8) A non-lethal defense would mean that only a few players could have access to ST skills. This meant that the team could not have both blitzers and blockers. I picked blockers.

9) There are 2 kinds of blockers in the game (so far). ST4+ and block+tackle. Being humans, I gave the blockers block+tackle.

10) The teams AG players started out as "runners". A league survey showed that they should have at least 1 of the catcher standard skills dodge or catch. I picked catch.
This combines rather well with an underused defensive skill pass block.

11) The "catchers" were then renamed from runners (being, after all, a dwarven cultural title), to "wings". Wings are a reference to kislevite winged lancers, and fits their role as pass blockers well.

12) I fell in love with the idea of kickers, as a defensive way of moving (i.e. getting rid of) the ball, without actual PA skill access. To me, punting is best imitated with HMP skill.

13) Finally - the linemen.
All the new human teams have 1 skill on the linemen. I wanted to do this too, in order to have them take active part in the playing style.

14) I wanted a skill that would (potentially) be useful against most teams -their defense was after all supposed to be their strong point. After some playtest and comments I settled on sidestep.
This would allow the linemen to play a "responsive defense".

Comments, thoughts, anything?
Martin :)

Reason: ''
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Power-balance

Post by plasmoid »

One thing:
On the old thread, Marcus (and another coach?) figured that the team is very powerful.

We've run a 15-20 match test season with it, and neither the coach nor his opponents found it overly powerful. Since then, the team has lost an ST4 big guy and AG skills on the kickers.
Also, in playtest, the linemen had a more powerful skill.

With these cuts, I'm certain that the team is not too strong.
Martin :)

Reason: ''