Doubles-skill Roster Players (DRPs) in team design

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

How do you feel about roster players starting with "doubles" skills (DRPs), i.e. skills not available to them on a normal skill roll.

DRPs are always a bad idea when it comes to designing new teams.
9%
DRPs in the line-up depends entirely on the design of the individual team.
82%
DRPs is not a problem, design-wize.
9%

Total votes: 22

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Doubles-skill Roster Players (DRPs) in team design

Post by plasmoid »

Just checking.

Reason: ''
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

Teams without Doubles Roll Skills on them are easier to get coaches to accept. That means they should probably be avoided. Particularly on Linemen.

Now some players require these types of skills to simply define the player. Dwarves, for example, have Thick Skull.... something they couldn't gain normally. It's a hard question to answer, and I wish there were more poll selections. I would have said, "They should be avoided except where absolutely required."

John -

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I voted with the majority. I will say traits are definately a bad idea, some double skills tho arent that bad (i.e. strong arm). It also matters how many in this new team should get them 1-2 isnt bad but any 1-4 needs to be heavily considered.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

it really depends on if it is a legitimate team concept which, while posessing a double-skill for conceptual reasons isn't going to be mechanically unbalancing for that reason while presenting a new and unique team with which to play... if it's someone wanting to make an uber-cheese team, screw them, if it's someone with a good idea and balance overall despite the rare skill, give it a go...

i can't really make a blanket statement on this... the same skill on two different rosters elicits two different responses... if someone wanted to give guard to a team with a base strength of 2, it's interesting, with a base stength of 3, or heaven forbid 4, guard is abusive... same with stand firm, sidestep, etc... if the circusmstances are such that the team, despite an influential skill, isn't overpowered, so be it...

iron chef kosher
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'd say that the best use of DRPs (or even unavailable skills) is to generate strange combinations or promote the use of uncommon skills. It should be handled carefully since you don't want to gift wrap perfect combos.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Not a problem. Are Amazons unbalanced? More to the point, are Norse? Frenzy's a DRP, and Jump Up is not accessable at all by Blitzers.
Still, it fits and it gives Norse plenty of character, makes them very different to play.
I'm fine with it.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Just wondering how you took "double skill roll" and came up with "DRP." Shouldn't that be "DSR"? :)

-Chet

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Double roll progression? :-?

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

No, I see it in the thread title now. "Double skill Roster Players." Hmm.

-Chet