What sort of World Cup do we want?

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

One where:

every country has one team using each country's established selection method and everyone else 'spectates' from the side tourney
42%
every country has one team selected at the tourney and everyone else 'spectates' from the side tourney
8%
every country has as many teams as they can make up with excesses going into a 'mongrel horde' team
23%
everyone gets to represent their country in an individual tourney with the winning country somehow based on the individual rankings
27%

Total votes: 103

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Kheldar wrote:
TuernRedvenom wrote:I voted 2, keep it open to everyone.
Version 4 is the worst IMO, small nations will always get shafted in this system and it doesn't really add much to a simple individual event like the Blood Bowl.
In my oppinion the big nations will suffer from version 4, not the small ones. Because from at the big ones you allways have coaches travelling arround playing not sooo competiv. But this is no statement that is true for all. I think its very dependent on the country.
Depends on how it's implemented, if you let every coaches' result count then you are right that a small country which only sends good coaches has an advantage. If you only let the top 8 count (as was proposed by some) then the big countries are always at a big advantage compared to the small ones. More coaches will mean more chances on freak results either positive or negative. Since the negative freak results won't count for nations with more then 8 players and the positive will they will have a big advantage on nations with only 8 players where 1 player will inevitably have a bad tourney.

Reason: ''
Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
Panico
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Panico »

Theorically the best should be #4.

But is not easy at all to do.

So I'll go for #1, for not losing the charme of a World Cup. (EB style)

And I'll spectate from the side tournament... or just spectate :wink:

Watch out: There's Panico in the stadium...
REMEMBER PAT TILLMAN
Italian Open 2004 (lucky) winner
Dutch Open 2006 (very lucky) winner
Monkeybowl 2007 (very lucky bastard) winner
clodius
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clodius »

I voted for option 4.

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

on the criterea given its a toss up between option 1 and 2 :?:

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
Mathias Toss
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mathias Toss »

Voted for option 3, that is the only one who gives to everyone a chance to compete for the world cup without problems of "elite" national teams...

Commissioner of Black Thunder BB Federation - Pescia (PT) - Italy
Believer of Janni
Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

the main problem with option 3 as i see it is that it's supposed to be a world cup where nation takes on nation.

i can see that a situation could arise where i've played 6 games of blood bowl and instead of pitting my wits against the best that holland, belgium, the usa whereever has to offer i'll have played 6 english teams. that to me is fundamentally not a world cup.

that is why option 3 wouldn't work in my eyes.

to combat that though have the national teams split off from the main tournament. every one plays a team event based around the same idea.

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

Evil Git wrote:the main problem with option 3 as i see it is that it's supposed to be a world cup where nation takes on nation.

i can see that a situation could arise where i've played 6 games of blood bowl and instead of pitting my wits against the best that holland, belgium, the usa whereever has to offer i'll have played 6 english teams. that to me is fundamentally not a world cup.

that is why option 3 wouldn't work in my eyes.

to combat that though have the national teams split off from the main tournament. every one plays a team event based around the same idea.
group stages would help sort this, maybe by putting mongrel, other english whatever teams in seperate groups so "national teams" would only play one

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Rab
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rab »

Voted #4 as I have experienced this working very effectively in archery tournanaments.

Also, I can't imagine you'll get as many coaches attending if they won't be influencing (even if it's a remote possibility) the final result.

Someone mentioned an average score for each nation attending. I like that too - it means you would encourage like crazy everyone from your country - from the newby who is trying to scrape a hard fought draw, to the superstar pushing for a major victory. Has potential...

[url=http://schwingaward.org/]SChWiNG[/url] Treasurer
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

I'm yet to see how having only one or two official national teams will convince those from other countries to come along. They need to feel involved. IF spectating from the side was involving enough, we'd have hoards watching Eurobowl - as it is we don't, so we need another mechanism for getting people involved and playing games.

If people are against option 4 (without enough evidence as to why IMO) then what about multiple tournies.

e.g.
8 player team event (1 race limit, no multi Dwarfs for example)
4 player team event (no race limits?)
Doubles event (i.e. each pair wins points and the pair with the most at the end wins overall)

i.e. multiple tournaments where each is as prestigious as the other.

Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

Indigo wrote: e.g.
8 player team event (1 race limit, no multi Dwarfs for example)
4 player team event (no race limits?)
Doubles event (i.e. each pair wins points and the pair with the most at the end wins overall)

i.e. multiple tournaments where each is as prestigious as the other.
indigo i think this is the way to go. you have to make the other competitions prestigious enough whilst also making it easy to organise. it seems like most are wanting some sort of team event, mainly because it's something that little bit different from yet another individual tournament.

the easiest way of sorting that is to have multiple competitions running concurrently. maybe to entice more teams there have some sort of extra prize support for the secondary competitions?
hangus wrote:group stages would help sort this, maybe by putting mongrel, other english whatever teams in seperate groups so "national teams" would only play one
hangus you might be onto something but would this be easy enough to sort out beforehand? i honestly don't know the answer to that but probably wouldn't be that hard.

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

If they pre-register team beforehand then it should not be too much of a problem but if they do it on the day maybe just seed the "other" teams not because they are good but to keep them apart and just pick them out of a hat. Don't know really

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Marco Gianni
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Marco Gianni »

I've voted 1, but I wonder : is there any individual tournament beside the team competition ?

Co-organizer of RUGBOWL
Results 2010
Pics

NAF WC Team Champion (Les Azes)
Individual Runner up
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

There CAN be an individual tournament alongside the team tournaments but the real question is - will people travel a LONG way to come for an individual tournament? Is the perception that it's "team tourney or nothing"?

I personally think the individual tournament can be at least as prestigious as any team tournament but I get the impression European coaches don't think that...

Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

I really like Indigos thoughts on having multiple tournaments going on at once, and making them all something to be proud of being a part of.

I don't like option 4 because it doesn't allow you to have the team vs team rounds like the eurobowl setup. That is something that is the selling point for me. Being able to travel over with a group of coaches that I know are on my team and then taking on one country each round.

ImageImage
Emberbreeze
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Emberbreeze »

I think an individual tournament has to be at least as prestigious as any other events going on.

Also have to be warry of over complicating the event as that might make for lots of chaos on the day and could put some people off coming.

[size=150][color=#FF3333][b]Hag Graef Dragons[/b][/color][/size] [size=117]1st UK :wink: NAF Dark Elf Coach[/size]
[size=150][color=#FF3333][b]Silvania Suckers[/b][/color][/size] [size=117]Most experienced :wink: NAF Vampire Coach[/size]