Concerns

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I would still like to see national captains selected, and their results must count at the end? Just a little quirk

Reason: ''

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Panico
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Panico »

Thorichally is acceptable.

But how can we be sure that 8 races will be represented for every nation? I mean, if 100 coaches attend from UK, it could be.

But I can assure that if 15/20 will attend from Italy, we will have a lot of repetition (4 dwarves, 4 norse, 4 undead, etc...) and probably don't reach 8 races.

People who come for winning, will want to be there with a "competitive" race.

Just as a thought, what about considering the average score of country coaches per race?

(as I told somewhere, the "individual-results-counts-for-country" option is good, but difficult to handle)

Watch out: There's Panico in the stadium...
REMEMBER PAT TILLMAN
Italian Open 2004 (lucky) winner
Dutch Open 2006 (very lucky) winner
Monkeybowl 2007 (very lucky bastard) winner
Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

Panico wrote:But how can we be sure that 8 races will be represented for every nation? I mean, if 100 coaches attend from UK, it could be.

But I can assure that if 15/20 will attend from Italy, we will have a lot of repetition (4 dwarves, 4 norse, 4 undead, etc...) and probably don't reach 8 races.
In UK we use the term "being savvy" so in other words, just agree between what you think are the best say 10 coaches to take 10 different races... it wont answer it completely but it will give you a basis to work from.

TFF mod team
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

That's what I meant, top 8 coaches with different races - otherwise everyone in Spain would use Undead ;)

This way it's taking elements that work from EB (the team things, the rivallry, the getting behind of your team) and adding it to something we know works, namely a massive tourney :D

Not only does limiting it to best result per race mean everyone can play, it also means if someone takes a less common team then does well they have a better chance of

There is no reason why we can't run side competitions off it too, such as see which nation is the best Undead, best Pro Elf etc. which would also encourage coaches bringing along slightly more unusual teams. So if they bring their best team and fail to qualify for the top 8 at least then they can help spain with "Best Undead Nation" for example. I think that needs working on, but the more competitions we have, the more people can win stuff, the more they are involved and the happier people are.

We could even do a league challenge cup, where local leagues could nominate a best 5 players or something and then the best league. But I'm getting a bit off topic now. Might start a new thread for "additional competitions at the World Cup"...

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Just like to agree with what Lucifer said. Pretty much my thoughts from the other post.

Invite international coaches to attend Eurobowl 2007 as guests by way of a pilot. See how that goes. If it's a success, then give the WC a go in 2008.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Interesting idea but that means North American and Oz coaches forking out for two intercontinental plane tickets in two years...

Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

Indigo wrote:Interesting idea but that means North American and Oz coaches forking out for two intercontinental plane tickets in two years...
agreed you i think its time to bite the bullet, say its happening and see what comes about.

I feel if it gets put back a year then it will feel its not going to happen.

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Hangus wrote:
Indigo wrote:Interesting idea but that means North American and Oz coaches forking out for two intercontinental plane tickets in two years...
agreed you i think its time to bite the bullet, say its happening and see what comes about.

I feel if it gets put back a year then it will feel its not going to happen.
And seeing as it's been announced to the GW wargaming population at large, via White Dwarf, it would look bad on the NAF if they then turned round and said "sorry, because we're to indecisive to make up our minds on the tourney, we've decided to cancel".

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Panico ... the answer to your question is that it means that countries will STILL be encouraged to form a CORE team of 8 to 10 coaches each bringing a different agreed upon race.

If more coaches show up for that country then they still fit in ... but the idea from EB of having planned teams is still then vital.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I like this idea but I still see 'bears on the road' concerning team size IF the tournament is run in Swiss

Say - team Holland brings in 10 coaches, finishing 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and so on with different races. That means some players will have perfomed well, some average and some bad.

Team England brings in 40 coaches, finishing 1,2,8,9, 11, 12, 18, 19 and so on, thus finishing an equally spread out over the entire table BUT with the top 8 players in the top 20.

I agree that the bad players will give the other country's players more points, but the better players of those other countries will never meet them as you can expect them to be in the upper rankings already.

I think it's a nice idea but will favour the countries with many coaches, and unless that can't be solved I'm afraid it won't work. Is it possible to get some results out off the past BB's rankings? Or the Dutch Open for example.

Kheldar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Kheldar »

I like this very much. The small countries have still likely less chances of winning, but they dont have to play against squads with 4 very good undead 2 very good dwarf and Norseplayers.

I think this is an idea, that could work.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

i imagine that a lot of those higher placed will be using the same race

be interesting to see how it compares with tournaments already gone

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Dave wrote:Say - team Holland brings in 10 coaches, finishing 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and so on with different races. That means some players will have perfomed well, some average and some bad.

Team England brings in 40 coaches, finishing 1,2,8,9, 11, 12, 18, 19 and so on, thus finishing an equally spread out over the entire table BUT with the top 8 players in the top 20.
My problem is that I just don't see this happening. In order for this to happen you have to believe that the players willing to pay to come to the UK are "average" players. Which isn't going to be that true. Most folks don't pay that much cash to lose. So I'd argue that you have an equal effect.

Lower Cost might allow the UK to bring more players but I don't think you get nearly the qualtity that you'll get from the other countries bring theirs.

The performance at the Chaos Cup and the GenCon Bowl when folks have flown over to play definitely show this to be the case.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

Yep, the Blood Bowl has has it's fair share of 'continental coaches' up in the final and top 10-20 of each and every one...

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *
Bevan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bevan »

GalakStarscraper wrote:My problem is that I just don't see this happening. In order for this to happen you have to believe that the players willing to pay to come to the UK are "average" players. Which isn't going to be that true. Most folks don't pay that much cash to lose. So I'd argue that you have an equal effect.

Lower Cost might allow the UK to bring more players but I don't think you get nearly the qualtity that you'll get from the other countries bring theirs.
It's true that really weak coaches won't travel that far, but quite of few of the really good coaches can't afford to travel, while those with the time, money and enthusiasm are not necessarily much above average. Whereas all the best English coaches will be able to be there. Also the game does involve some chance so the more coaches from any country the more chance that 8 of them will be in the top group.

I'd still like to see as many people as possible have a chance to be involved, but I'd prefer that to be by having more teams rather than shunting the extras off to side events. Alternatively the top 8 national teams could be selected from an individual event, but play at least 3 games as full teams for the country title.