What match rules work best?

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Bevan
Veteran
Veteran

What match rules work best?

Post by Bevan »

I haven't seen any discussion yet on the rules we'll be using at the World Cup. I hope we can sort out all the issues simultaneoulsy rather than sequentially so we all know where we are (and where we'll be).

I know we'll be using LRB5, but will teams be TV100 or TV110 (or higher)?

Will we have any extra skills from the start or pick them up as we go?

Will we have any of our TV in inducements, and if so are there any restrictions on these?

I know that a good coach can adjust to any rules, but some rules are more enjoyable to play than others. Unfortunately different coaches have different ideas on what makes a rule set good fun. For example I hate TV100 teams because they lack decent position players and any skills. I only put up with them because they'll improve in players and skills in a couple of games. But I also detest rules that allow stars and secret weapons because I think they are unbalanced. (e.g. Too much depends on whether the deathroller stays on for 8 turns or gets sent off after 1).

Can we have some comments from those who have played LRB5 under tournament conditions on what works and what doesn't? Let's assume that we want to have fun, but those attending are likely to be a little more serious about the game than average and may get upset if nearly all the games hinge on a random event card.

What rules did Eurobowl use and did they work well?

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Unlike Bevan ... I haven't found at TV 100 that allowing all inducement other than Stars and Mercs is unbalanced at all. Chaos Cup had only one player out of 38 bring an inducement as part of his team.

Without inducements ... I cannot even picture bringing my Halfling team if inducements are outlawed.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Bevan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bevan »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Without inducements ... I cannot even picture bringing my Halfling team if inducements are outlawed.
I'm not sure if we should promote the rule sets that would encourage you to bring your Halflings, in the hope that we get to play your team :D or make sure the rules will discourage you, so the rest of your team don't do something drastic to make sure you don't turn up.

I could play Halfings myself, but I wouldn't want to ruin my team's unbeaten record (5 league games, not tournament). :roll:

I might be prepared to use a TV100 team if we get a reasonable set of skills right at the start. :P

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Bevan wrote:I'm not sure if we should promote the rule sets that would encourage you to bring your Halflings, in the hope that we get to play your team :D
Understood. I guess what I was saying is that I cannot see any coach trying to play Halflings, Goblins, or Ogres competitively without inducement options as permanent parts of the team.

If I end up being able to attend ... I'll find a team ... not worried about that. In fact ... I might play Humans just to field the Egyptian team that Impact! is working on. Not sure.

But I personally am very sure that at TV 100 ... inducements as permanent parts of the team are not unbalanced (this is based on Chaos Cup 2006 and GenCon 2006 (which allowed stars at LRB 5.0 prices)). I won't say the same for TV 110 as I don't have any experience as to what the extra 10 TV causes to the tournament play.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

What rules did Eurobowl use and did they work well?
LRB 5, TR 110, 1 skill after each game ( after 3rd game you could take a double) -> most european tourneys work like this and 110 TR is better balanced then 100 TR IMO. In the few tourneys I have played at 100 TR teams that can dish out attrition and take it well themselves ruled supreme. TR 100 also sees less rerolls so is a bit more luck dependant IMHO.

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

If we go with more than one style of tournament there is no reason why we can't use a range of rules.... For example, we could run a stunty cup with flings/gobbos/ogres only and allow inducements?

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Bevan, Galak,

How confident are you guys that Aus / USA will be able to bring over good sized teams i.e. a team of 8 or better?

Thanks,
Pippy

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Old_Man_Monkey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Old_Man_Monkey »

Loony Toadquack wrote:Bevan, Galak,

How confident are you guys that Aus / USA will be able to bring over good sized teams i.e. a team of 8 or better?

Thanks,
Pippy
I am quite confident there will be at least one USA team...

Speak TRUTH to power.
Bevan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bevan »

Loony Toadquack wrote:Bevan, Galak,

I'm not at all confident that Australia will have anyone at all. :oops:

There was a lot of interest back in May/June and we had about 8 coaches lined up ready to go. But nothing happened for months on end and we had only 12 months to plan and still no news, so most of them took their names off the list of possibles. I don't think there are any definites at this time but I could be wrong.

Most coaches who are prepared to travel to play Blood Bowl will be at CanCon (26-28 January). If we have full details about the event by that time, then I expect we will discuss it together and make a definite decision whether or not anyone will attend. We could sort something out by e-mail before then, but I'm not going to chase after possible contenders without knowing what's involved.

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

good news from Ausrtalia and USA ;)

inducement: we had one game with inducement at NDC (Rouen) 1 month ago... that turned to chainsaw contest in all the room.
It is cheap and a lot of teams can take it. dont think it is a good idea to put it all along the tourny. (sadly, it is easy to find the weak point.)

my taste goes for TV110 like most of the tournies do.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Longshot wrote:inducement: we had one game with inducement at NDC (Rouen) 1 month ago... that turned to chainsaw contest in all the room.
It is cheap and a lot of teams can take it. dont think it is a good idea to put it all along the tourny.
Seriously in all my games I've played ... the Chainsaw guys gets one blitz at best and then he's gone. I don't see how that's worth 80k. I honestly think almost all teams would be better off investing in something else.

Galak

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Agree with Galak on that, the chainsaw LOOKS scary but is easily managed.

lowsman2
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lowsman2 »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Bevan wrote:I'm not sure if we should promote the rule sets that would encourage you to bring your Halflings, in the hope that we get to play your team :D
Understood. I guess what I was saying is that I cannot see any coach trying to play Halflings, Goblins, or Ogres competitively without inducement options as permanent parts of the team.

Galak
Then it comes down to if you think those teams should be competitive. I do not think they should.....

Every gamer should have their own weight in unpainted lead......
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Come to play against Frenchies with Chainsaw then... the room was crazy all around.
You can manage sometimes against a chainsaw.. but this is not easy imho

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

why fear the chainsaw?

in our league i have faced one in 3 out of the 5 games i have played, the longest one stayed on the pitch was 4 turns and that was the Orc guy (his names escapes me) and most of the time he was on the pitch he was on the floor the only time he got to chainsaw my precious norse it kicked back :lol: :lol:

for 80k i would rather have a mrec lineman who may stay there for the whole match

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK