Slann in TR110 tournament

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Jelmer
The Death of Toads

Slann in TR110 tournament

Post by Jelmer »

any hints?

Reason: ''
Most Toads Killed @ Colleges of Magic Cup 05, 06, 07, 08, 09 and 10,
3rd @ NAF World Cup II
Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

Imagine that all your opponents are toads and KILL THEM ALL!!

Looks like you are great in killing toads.

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

3 Catchers, 8 Linefrogs, 1 Kroxigor, 4RR, 4FF is my standard team... I tend to vary it a bit though depending on the tournament rules (for instance this weekend I've got the option to take a +AG so I'll change a catcher and the FF into two linefrogs and give one +AG... basicly getting an extra player and more strength on a catcher).

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Jelmer
The Death of Toads

Post by Jelmer »

Tournament rules under which i will be playing the Slann:
Teams start with a 110 team rating. After each game two skills are given, one to a randomly selected player, the second to a player of your choice with the exception being after the third game, where a trait and a skill will be allocated to two random players on the team. We'll be using LRB6.0 (see http://www.midgardbb.com/LRB_PBBL/LRB_5 ... al2008.pdf) (In fact LRB5.0 plust the Oktober 2008 Experimental Rules proposals).
You would not take any blitzers? jump up seems great... and then giving them wrestle

Most Toads Killed @ Colleges of Magic Cup 05, 06, 07, 08, 09 and 10,
3rd @ NAF World Cup II
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Jump Up and Diving Tackle are great skills... but not really worth 50k (although some people disagree with me there). Slann should be great for the random skills format though. How many games are you playing, how likely is it that two skills will fall on the same player early because you really need multiple skills on one player for the blitzers to really seem worthwhile :)

Barney is a clever dog.
Magictobe

Post by Magictobe »

Five rounds. After each round you get two skills. One to a random player and one to a choosen player. You can stack skills.

After third round you get a double skill.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

SillySod wrote:3 Catchers, 8 Linefrogs, 1 Kroxigor, 4RR, 4FF is my standard team... I tend to vary it a bit though depending on the tournament rules (for instance this weekend I've got the option to take a +AG so I'll change a catcher and the FF into two linefrogs and give one +AG... basicly getting an extra player and more strength on a catcher).
I'd take that FF and upgrade another Lineman to a 4th Catcher. But otherwise the standard roster.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Eggball
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Eggball »

Any advice for a 110K tourney that allows you to pick 80K worth of any skills on any players for your starting roster?

Would blitzers be any more viable in a tourney if you could give them skills like wrestle and strip ball?

Some builds I am considering include:

2 x blitzer
4 x catcher
5 x linefrog
3 x RR
3 x FF
80K skills (probably kick, wrestle x 2 and strip)

1 x krox
4 x catcher
6 x linefrog
4 x RR
80K skills (TBD)

Mike

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Eggball wrote:Would blitzers be any more viable in a tourney if you could give them skills like wrestle and strip ball?
No, because Wrestle and Strip Ball are exactly as useful on a lineman.

The 4 catcher lineup looks good.

Your skills look good. I was going to try to fit a Guarding catcher in, but it doesn't really fit.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Interesting format. The ability to take two skills on one play does make the blitzers a little more worthwhile but still pretty expensive for what they do. Based on your lists given... am I right in saying that the 80k of skills comes out of the 110k you are given to build your team?

For the 4 catcher setup given I'd consider the following options:
- drop a catcher and a RR and buy yourself two more linefrogs (giving you a reserve)
- drop a catcher and 40k worth of skills in exchange for two linefrogs (giving you a reserve)
- drop the krox, I think its a great part of the team but you might be better off with a reserve instead
Personally I think that you want a little more durability than the roster already has, those catchers will drop like flies once they're on the pitch.

In terms of skills you should seriously consider:
- wrestle and stripball, possibly on the same frog or possibly seperately, all depends on how you like to play. Taking two of each wouldnt be a bad choice as it would give you some redundancy.
- piling on for the krox (ok, maybe this is just my favourite skill rather than something you should seriously consider :P)
- +AG on a linefrog... essentially giving you a +St, +Av catcher
- block on the krox, guard on a catcher, and strip ball/wrestle on someone else (maybe two guard catchers if you dropped the krox). This could be great but expect that catcher to go splat.
- wrestle/stripball/+AG on a linefrog to get some sort of super-frog... this is alot of eggs in one basket though.

Barney is a clever dog.
Eggball
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Eggball »

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I've got a few options to think about....

SillySod: You are right - the 80K for skills comes from the total allowance of 110K.

Another really interesting feature of this particular tourney - the CCKO here in Ottawa, Canada - is the draft skills pick that happens halfway through. Worst ranked coaches pick first (typically taking stuff like ST+1, etc), with top coaches going last with slimmer pickings to choose from. You can find out more about it through the NAF site. I have some nefarious plans for draft skill picks but won't share them here since some tourney-goers are on this forum. Need to keep some tricks up my sleeve....

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Interesting, looks like you will be able to get at least one really cool item from the draft (like block on the krox or guard on a catcher). Also on round two you're likely to be able to get strip ball or wrestle on a +AG linefrog :) Mind you, two +AG wardancers could make a killing!

Based on the whole draw thing I'd go for:
Krox - 140k
1 Catcher - 80k
4RR - 200k
7 Linefrogs - 420k
Linefrog with +AG - 100k
Linefrog with Strip Ball - 80k
Linefrog with Wrestle - 80k

That isnt ideal but I think its the best you can do. The main problem is that you would be relying on just two players to do almost all of your ballhandling.

Thats a pretty cool ruleset though, I especially like the modified turnover rule :D

Barney is a clever dog.
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Eggball wrote: Another really interesting feature of this particular tourney - the CCKO here in Ottawa, Canada - is the draft skills pick that happens halfway through. Worst ranked coaches pick first (typically taking stuff like ST+1, etc), with top coaches going last with slimmer pickings to choose from. You can find out more about it through the NAF site. I have some nefarious plans for draft skill picks but won't share them here since some tourney-goers are on this forum. Need to keep some tricks up my sleeve....
This part may work well with Slann as they can benefit from some of the less traditional tournie skills (KOR on a Catcher etc) which might not be taken before you get to them.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else