Quake: TV 100, 6 skills -- need a few pointers

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

But no matter. I've decided it'll be Undead if I can get them painted in time, and Orcs if I can't. I might use the Undead as material for a painting clinic for my WFRP group, as they're frightfully easy. I'm thinking blue and silver, so I have the Destroyt Undyins. Or the Destroyt Cryins, and name them all after famous busts in NFL history (Kwame Harris and Robert Gallery as Mummies, Ryan Leaf as a Ghoul, etc.).

So, if Undead, then two questions:

A: 4 Ghouls, 13 players, 2RR or 3 Ghouls, 12 players, 3RR. Note that I have 3 Ghouls with dedicated skills, so if the answer to question B is a Ghoul, I'm going 2RR.

B: 2x Guard (Wight left OLB, Mummy NT), and Ghouls with Block (left CB), Wrestle (right safety, exposed to blitz if line collapses) and SS (right CB, with an inverted formation on the strongside protecting a nickelback instead of a true linebacker). Unskilled players are a Mummy Moe (left ILB) and a Zombie (left DE). Four positions remain, along with one skill, one Zombie, one Skel and one Ghoul or Skel.

a) Zombie RDE (presumably the strong side, as the extra Mummy and the Guard are on the left) who would kick butt with Fend;

b) a Skeleton or Wight at right ILB (not necessarily a blitz-absorbing position even if on the strong side) who could totally be a rookie schmoe, but would do well as a Wight with Frenzy or Grab (but note that the Wrestle Ghoul has overlapping range);

c) a protected nickel safety in the right wide zone, who could be a Ghoul with SH (to help account for only 2RR) or a Wight with Frenzy.

d) a protected left-side safety, who could be a Ghoul with SH or Kick, a blank Skel, a Skel with Kick, or a Wight with Frenzy.

Who gets the skill? Where's the Wight go?

Code: Select all

-- -- -- --|-- -- Z- MG ?a -- --|-- -- -- --
-- -- WG --|-- M- -- -- -- -- ?b|-- -- GS --
-- GB -- --|?d -- -- -- -- GW --|-- ?c -- --

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Also, with Orcs, I have a tactical question on the Guard BOB.

My instinct is to build a standard 3-man cluster on the defensive line, with the Troll at nose (with Guard), flanking a pair of rookie BOBs. If I have a Guard BOB, then he goes to the line, as I'll also have Block and SF BOBs to hold down the inside LB spots.

So my D-line reads:

-- -- Bo TG BG -- --
Here's my worry. Against Orcs, I'll see this, where Z is Blitzer:

-- Bo BB BG ZG Bo Zo
--------------------
-- -- Bo TG BG -- --
He'll tee off against my Troll with his BOB with Block, or against my BOB with his Guard BOB, depending on his TRR situation. In the latter case, then he can push and still get two dice with the next block and the one after and the one after that... and he has a BOB ready to knock down the unskilled BOB on the line.

Against Dwarfs, I run into a similar spot. A Guard Blocker, a Guard Blitzer and a Slayer, and my line is still in trouble. I don't think I can fortify much with or without a Guard BOB. If I could take two of them, it would be different. Or maybe I should put the Troll on one end and stick the Guard BOB on the nose... no, that's worse. I agree that Guard on a BOB is great on offense and when things get mixed in, so I kind of want a third instance of it (a major advantage of Orcs in this format; Dwarfs and Undead and Chaos and such kind of get hurt with their ability to grab only a limited amount of Guard, but Orcs have a Big Guy who thrives with it and two positionals who can take it standard).

The alternative is a Leader Thrower (as a 3rd RR), Leader Thrower (as a justification to trade 2nd RR for a Thrower reserve), Frenzy Blitzer, Grab Blitzer, or Block Lino.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.