Rat Ogre or no Rat Ogre? Thats the question.

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

yaspro
Experienced
Experienced

Rat Ogre or no Rat Ogre? Thats the question.

Post by yaspro »

i just started bloodbowl and i cant decide wether a rat ogre should be used in tournament type games or not. i played an experienced lizzard men player and without the rat ogre i got ripped apart but with a rat ogre i managed to pull a draw. so what do u think guys?

Reason: ''
By the time you finish reading this, you'll realize you have wasted 5 seconds of your life.
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

no no no no no, take 4x gr's 2 blitzers and a thrower thats the way forward

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

At TV110 most of the coaches I've played have taken a Rat Ogre.
The frenzy & potential for CAS is very useful for a team that needs space to play.

At TV100 I can't see it being good value.

But it is an issue that splits many coaches.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
yaspro
Experienced
Experienced

Post by yaspro »

ye, thats what i've been thinking. att only 1 mil, its not worth it cause u loose a reroll and a reserv but at 1.1 mil its just a matter of making one lineman into a rat ogre.

By the time you finish reading this, you'll realize you have wasted 5 seconds of your life.
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

rodders wrote:no no no no no, take 4x gr's 2 blitzers and a thrower thats the way forward
For once Rodders and I agree...........................................

mattwhile

Post by mattwhile »

In a tourney a rat ogre with break tackle is a very useful cage breaker.

yaspro
Experienced
Experienced

Post by yaspro »

what about having guard on the rat ogre, that creates a really hard line at the start and it wont be broken easily and thts saying somethin for skaven.

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

My skaven team always takes a rat ogre at tv 110. It adds something extra to the squad. It is more of a threath then anything else but it definately forces your opponent to play differently and makes sure your storm vermin and runners can work their magic.
Try not to use him on offence: too unreliable. I just set him at the LoS and as my last action of the turn try to block-frenzy another opposing player into his TZ.
He is great for defence though, skaven defence is hit or miss anyway so it usually isn't such a big deal when the RO screws up trying to blitz. Just try again next turn (or vs woodies, next defensive drive).

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

At TV100, no.

At TV110, the RO can be useful. I tend not to take one if the tourney allows for taking multiple skills. Then I develop a few GRs to be expert ball extractors instead.

If you do take a RO, don't give him guard. Skaven don't want to get into a slug fest with anybody. Break Tackle and Juggernaut are two very good skills. Block is good as well if you can take it.

I tend to prefer Juggernaut if I can't take Block.

And as Tuern said, use him wisely. He can really screw you up if you don't.

Cramy
yaspro
Experienced
Experienced

Post by yaspro »

Ye at 1mil no way but at 1.1 i would take him because there will be either of the two things happening. either the opponent will be using his resources to take him down so i have more freedom elsewhere or he will ignore him and he can take one or two players out. but against teams with a big guy he's a must i think.

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

was that a yes or a no.. arg head hurts :zzz:

yaspro
Experienced
Experienced

Post by yaspro »

Well i think i decided that i would take RO on a tourney team.

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Don't take the Rat Ogre. He's not worth his cost and will probably spend most of his time laying on the pitch or worse. That's basically 160kgp that's not doing anything for you.

As far as Big Guys go, AV8 just does not cut it as a distraction/speed bump. A Troll or Ogre will stay on the pitch long enough to occupy your opponent. A Mino or ROgre that goes down is not likely to get back up (foul bait, plus he has wild animal) before the drive has gone irrevocably against you.

You're better off with a standard 2 Blitzers, 1 Thrower, 3 Gutters, and 6 Lineman + 3RR lineup for a 100TV tourny. The ROgre will cost you atleast one gutter or reroll--those are usually the difference between you scoring a TD or getting ground to a pulp. :wink:

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

At 1.1 it's different, as he's competing with reserves and that sort of thing, but at 1M I agree with most of these posters: he's not worth what you have to give up for him.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
yaspro
Experienced
Experienced

Post by yaspro »

yea, not taking it on 1 mil but would at 1.1