Ogres 1.100 with Skills

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Cleutin
Rookie
Rookie

Ogres 1.100 with Skills

Post by Cleutin »

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about taking my Ogre Team to its first tourney. TV is at 1.100 and you may choose skills before the tourney starts.
Skills are chosen like this:
Before the tournament you are able to choose 2 combination of skills as follows described:

A) 1 Skill on 3 different players,
B) 2 Skills on 1 player,
C) 1 Skill and 1 Double on 2 different players (no big guy) or
D) 1 Double on 1 Big guy
I was going to choose 2xA to get 6 Skills for the team.
My problem is now, which roster to play and how to give skills. At the moment I'm thinking about this:

4 Ogres
10 Snotlings
1 Apo
4 RRs
FF 1

Skills could be 4x PO for the Ogres and 2 Diving Tackle for the Snotlings. Or i could spread a bit Guard+BreakTackle over the Ogres.
Suggestions about this or own experiences would be great.

Cheers Cleutin

Reason: ''
Gronlokk
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gronlokk »

I think Piling On is not a suitable skill for ogres. An ogre lying on the ground will definetely get fouled.
With Bone-Head you are going to lose lots of your ogres' turns. Failing your Bone-Head roll with an ogre lying on his back means he stays down for another turn (and will get fouled).
I'd much rather take lots of Break Tackle.

Mr_lemon
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mr_lemon »

I agree with Gronlokk about Piling-on, I have never played Ogres in a tournament but I've played ogres for two seasons now in league play. I can't see a successful Ogre-team with primarily Piling-on as first skills (Unless success is measured purely on CAS). Sure you'll pick up a CAS or two piling-on all your victims but you'll lose the game big-time while doing it. You want your Ogres to be standing since they are your only real defenders and your only realistic hope of sacking a ball carrier.

For a team with four ogres I would probably take 2 or 3 Guard on the ogres and 1 or 2 Break Tackle. BT gives you mobility, and Guard makes your cage stronger and gives you more 3-diceblocks. I am a big fan of Guard but BT is good to have on 2 players. 1 on offence,1 playing deep defence. If you want to set your hopes on Throw Team-mate then Strong Arm can be an option on one ogre to give you the option to throw a snot on a 2+

Diving Tackle is probably the best skill for snotlings but two of them won't last long since they will probably be removed from game following your opponents two first blitzes! :)