Deathroller at TV 110K Tournament

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Cookie
Veteran
Veteran

Deathroller at TV 110K Tournament

Post by Cookie »

Just wondering what peoples opinions (which seem fairly divided from what I've read elsewhere) are on the Dwarf Deathroller for a tournament team (Pearlies 09) 1100K, LRB5 so no loner yet.

Current plan is
2 x Runner 160K
5 x Blocker 350K
2 x Slayer 180K
2 x Blitzer 160K
2 x Reroll 80K
1 x DR 160K
1 x FF 10K
Total 1100 GP

I'm inclined to take it as I like the miniature and it adds a bit of variety to an otherwise cookie cutter roster, however, is the money better spent elsewhere on another couple of blockers or re-rolls maybe?

When is best to field it, on offence or defence? I'm guessing offence as you can control the clock and thus its on pitch time, but early on before too many skills are learnt I can see it being very handy on defence against strength teams to crack open a cage?

Skills are randomlly allocated and rolled for, so could end up with doubles but Multiple Block or Grab seem the only options on a normal roll. I'd guess block, frenzy or perhaps even dodge on doubles?

Reason: ''
TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Biggest problem of the roster is this situation:
opponent start and receives, he takes 7-8 turns to score. In the meanwhile he manages to ko (which doesn't return)/injure at least 1 of your players. Now you have a 1-2 turn drive in which you must set up the deathroller only to see it ejected at the end of the half.
Obviously if you do set him up on defence your opponent will score asap to get it ejected.

If you really want to win I wouldn't do it, otherwise go for it!

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Have seen some good coaches take a DR in TV110 tournies.
Never done it myself though.

Very handy against caging teams:
More time on pitch.
Very good cage breaker.
High St surrounded by guarding blockers.

But don't underestimate it's use in the shorter drives against agile teams, often you are trying to force them to score quickly in order to set up the 2-1 win. Getting rid of a DR may be an extra temptation for an elf coach wary of ST7 MB hits...

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

I think I'll be taking Dwarfs to Monkey bowl this weekend. I'll be using a chainsaw...I'll let you know how I get on...

Similar lineup to what you're planning, but CSaw instead of the DR, an extra RR, a CL and AC.

I'm sure 6 LBs and 4 RR would be better option, but that's a bit dull.

I would use in the first drive if I recieve.

If kicking, I would probably use vs everyone bar skaven and elves.

Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

I have made an thread some time ago concerning the DeathRoller on Tournaments, as I have played the setup on 3 Tourneys already, including the Eurobowl.

The Idea is to allways field the DeathRoller at Round 1. Regardless if you are kicking or receiving. Keep the deathroller not on the line of Scrimage against fast teams to catch the Running Cage of elfencatchers. Even if you bring him to score in 2 turns your deathroller was usefull, and you can go to the 2:1 End.

Against slow teams like Orcs the DeathRoller can be used to tie the Troll and at least 1 other player or the deathroller is wasted capital. Or try to blitz woth the Deathroller everyturn into the cage, as you then force him to Dodge away.

I have also reconsidered to take Diving Tackle on the Roller instead of Block or Guard.

In Case of undead try to hold one of his mumies and at least a ghoul with the DR or two Ghouls and force them to Dodge.

I hope that help, and every turn the death roller only holds one zombie or lineman, he is absolutely wasted. Make the 2+ Dodge, or better Blitz with 3 Dice and get near the Cage.

But with the proposed rule changes X08 the Death Roller at TR110 is dead.

And I have tested the dwarven Bomber at a Tournament and he completely Screw my gameplay. Also I'm not sure about the Chainsaw dwarf. He Can block on one die with no ReRoll use, and if he gets knocked over he is done and you one player down, which is devasting for dwarfs.

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

mumbojumboist wrote:I think I'll be taking Dwarfs to Monkey bowl this weekend. I'll be using a chainsaw...I'll let you know how I get on...
Not brilliantly to be honest... chainsaws are ace if you can dominate the pitch, but if you're up against it they are a total liability. DRs are obviously totally different, but the similarity is you'll be playing with 11 for most of the game, with 1 KO/cas you are down to 10. Big problem.... dwarfs really need the full complement of players. I would have been much better off with an LB and 4RR.

With hindsight 6/2/2/2, 3RR and a bombadier.

Cookie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cookie »

I've got a league game with a DR tomorrow (unfortuantely against Lycos...) so will see how the deathroller plays (I managed to get it sent off for an unecessary foul after 2 turns and 1 casualty in my last game so wasnt much to go on!)

I'm half tempted to have a go with it at Pearlies and look to getting most casualties by perhaps toning down the guard and go down a mighty blow route on the blockers.

Stars aren't allowed at Pearlies so the Bomber and Chainsaw are out, I'm not yet convinced about the bombardier in general though. I've induced him twice so far this season and he's been woefully ineffective (e.g. Mummies catching the bomb and throwing it back at him being one example)... So he's mostly ended up being as a spare blocker when I've needed numbers.

PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Cookie wrote: I'm not yet convinced about the bombardier in general though. I've induced him twice so far this season and he's been woefully ineffective (e.g. Mummies catching the bomb and throwing it back at him being one example)... So he's mostly ended up being as a spare blocker when I've needed numbers.
I think the Bombardier is an excellent (read possibly too good) addition to the Dwarf team.

Gives you an extra option against low Ag caging teams (just don't throw it onto players) and an extra Block player against others.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Stu
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Stu »

I used the same roster at Pearlies last year and came second plus did ok at Spiky and Flamebowl, so it is viable, however I think last year you could pick who got your first skill (i.e. start with leader) and this year it's random. So you might find yourself short of rerolls.

I would echo most of Glorian's advice, use it on the first drive, attack or defense (unless your opponent can easily score in 2 turns). Keep it back from the line of scrimmage on defense so it's free to move and use break tackle getting into the cage. On offense, just block as much as possible, try and go up the side of the pitch where you can use break tackle to push players up against the sideline when they thought they were safe. Don't risk fouling with it until towards the end of the drive when you're in control.

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Noticed you did OK at Pearlies, did you take the roller in the end?

Stu
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Stu »

Cookie and I both did, and there was at least one other Deathroller there, don't know whose it was though.

Cookie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cookie »

Have to say the roller was pretty fun to play with at pearlies, if only marginally effective at times (e.g. Stu and I played each other and they pretty much cancelled each other out) but was handy to give some extra muscle against orc and undead teams.

I cant say I really missed the players or the re-rolls although throughout the weekend my armour rolls were pretty handy all weekend so I was never players down (well except against Geggster... :roll: ).

Definately saw the wisdom in fielding it for the first drive though but I only played against one AG team the whole tournament (and I recieved) so difficult to say if the same holds there.

Going to be a sad day if it does get loner, I can see it quickly killing off this option at tourneys.