Kick skill choice on a dwarf team.

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Kick skill choice on a dwarf team.

Post by Glorian Underhill »

Hi, I am getting my dwarfs out of the box again, and try to think about giving one of the blockers kick.

I know hoe important Guard is. The more the merrier.

also I'm a dwarf player who has at least one runner wirth block as the ball carrier and defenceblitzer.

The third skillchoice for dwarfs at tournaments is usually Mightyblow on one or two Slayers to thin the opponents lines.

So after a 1-3 loss with my humans against Oventas WoodElfes I saw the kick skill on the Woodlefes in its beauty. The Wood elfes can capitalize fully on a failed pick up, or a blitz.

Kick deep to cut the backfield from the line of scrimmage, or if nuffle help a blitz occours at the kickoff. 3 catchers and 2 wardancers take over your own middlefield. 1. Catcher negates my assistant. 2. Catcher lends an assistant. 1. Wardancer Blitzes. 3.Catcher, or 2.Wardancer picks the ball up. Touchdown Woodelfes.

I know that dwarfs compared to woodelfes are at a complete other planet. But the woodies have with kick the opportunity to put the ball back against slow teams to stop them from forming the cage, or put the ball on one side to capitalize on set up failures.

Dwarfs usually dont have the chance to stop the opponent from forming a cage. The ball lands there somewhere, and if the dwarfs try to swarm on the other side usually have a hole in its defence. Against slow teams like Orcs or Chaosdwarfs, if the dwarf is lucky the ball lands deep bevore the opponents endzone. And then the opponnent has some problems without passing to get the ball forward. Also the risk of a touchback, which is real problem to pick up for Undead without sure hands, or hobgoblins.

So the question:
It is a good choice to get kick on the dwarf team. compared to Guard, or Mighty Blow.

Options with kick for dwarfs.

Against slow teams (Orcs, Chaosdwarfs, Amazons):

Kick on front. Something like 3 paces to the line of scrimmage, and 3 paces to the sideline. Usually on the side where he has not the majority of his players.

Pro: If the opponent doesn't react with most of his players, or pass, hand-off the ball is one turn in no "real" cage. And a chance to strike is possible.

Pro: A blitz can be utilized to actually get to the ball and secure it.

Cons: 1 less guard on the defenceblocks

kick deep. Something like 3 paces to the Endzone, 3 paces to the sideline. Usually on the side where he has not the majority of his players.

Pro: Chance to maybe cut the opponent from forming the cage

Cons: Opponent has only to put 2 players back to get the ball. the dwarf player has not a real chance to move his players over the line of scrimmage to pose a real thread for the players who are back to get the ball. No Movement 7 means that there are plenty of places to hide for the opponent on his side. If the rush for the ball carrier fails the dwarven defence is wide open, and the oppoent can block and score freely till turn 8.

Against fast teams (Elfes, humans, skaven):

Kick up front:

Pro: chance of utilize a blitz. If the opponent didn't pick up the ball (2+ plus re roll) the dwarf can bring up his players to let it get messy for the fast team.

Con: Fast teams have usually an AG 4 player who can easily pick up the ball, hand off, and a thanks not to move back. Maybe he is urged to make a fast TD but can also move as much down his field as he likes.

Kick deep:

Pro: it is less likely for the opponent to score in two turns. He needs relay-player on the middle line to make it an fast play. The dwarf player can try to take out the relay-player

Con: the fast team can secure the ball deep, and has a lot of players to make a breach through the defence.

Conclussion:
So as a first conclussion "kick deep" has only the effect to slow the opponent down in his try to make a TD. This is far more effective against slow teams. This can maybe bring the opponent to use one or at the most two more turns to score.

"Kick front" urges the other team to score fast, or to utilize a blitz. Also the opponent cannot mass its players on one side as he can been caught on the wrong foot. Also for Skaven, or woodelfes there seems to be no real wrong foot.

Reason: ''
Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
Fondu77
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Fondu77 »

utilize? use?

:D

just to proove I read strategic topic

PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Re: Kick skill choice on a dwarf team.

Post by PubBowler »

Glorian Underhill wrote: I saw the kick skill on the Woodlefes in its beauty. The Wood elfes can capitalize fully on a failed pick up, or a blitz.
I think this is the most telling part of your post.

Fast teams get far more use from Kick than caging sides do.

And in a tournie situation where skills are very limited, I firmly believe they're a better choices for a Dwarf team.

But you have a better record with Dwarves than I do...

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Der_Doodle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Der_Doodle »

against any low AG teams i would kick extremly short as a dwarf to force him to do the Pickup ASAP. If the kickup fails then i could crush his LOS and maybe even get a chance to secure the ball myself.

Against any High AG team kicking deep is a waste since thats most likely exact the position where he wants to get the ball until he can make a Pass / Handover / TD combination.
So even there i would kick very short to pray on the failed pickup and giving me a chance to react for it.

My Tournament Experiences with Dwarfs are not existent. But in a League i think Kick is a very nice 2nd skill for a guarding Blocker

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I agree with Matt - you'd be better off with Guard or Mighty Blow IMO.

With Dwarves I'd normally be kicking short. Deep kicks are only good if your opponent needs to score quickly so an extra turn or two moving it forward helps you defend. Forget about swarming the backfield as doing so is probably going to leave you out of position and unable to stop the break through.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Kick off return is a skill you want on a runner, not kick. You dont want kick, you dont have the movement in tournies for it. Or the skills.

All IMHO of course...