First Tournament

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

bjorn9486
Star Player
Star Player

First Tournament

Post by bjorn9486 »

Hello Everyone

I am 99% sure I am going to be going to my first tournament in a month. Up until now I have only played league games, so I am asking for help on two things.

1. Most importantly, what is the etiquette for playing games and what are things newbies do that send more experienced coaches right to the edge of sanity. Of any of the hobbies I play, I absolutely hate new people coming in and then talking like they invented the game, and this is the type of thing I am trying to avoid.

2. I am wondering what kind of skills I should expect at a tournament. Such things as "you will see more of skill X and less of Y than in a league" is what I am concerned with.

Thank you all for your help, and if this is in the wrong section could a moderator move it to a more appropriate one.

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

expect to see lots of block and guard and scattering of dodge

wardancers with strip ball

wrestle/tackle/frenzy/surehands x1

the usual basics tbh, of course its somewhat dependant on what races have been taken

Just try and keep pace with the time allocation for the game, ie try and be at half time half way through the time you have to play the game

otherwise tournament play isn't too different

just check your opponent is happy if you are using non standard dice as well (like those horrible impact block dice etc)
some coaches just clear up what constitutes a cocked dice or not as well

I hate coaches that moan about their luck as well and get really pissed off about it.

Rab
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rab »

First off, good luck in your tournament; they really are great fun.

As for etiquette, if you're concerned about doing the right thing then you are probably already behaving in such a way that I'd be happy to meet you across the table :)

I always make a point of telling my opponent which players have extra skills before the game, but then I've never played anyone who hasn't done so. If any of your miniatures are non-standard and may be easily confused then do try and explain this beforehand also. Otherwise, just enjoy yourself, and always make it clear where your players are moving, square-by-square.

Skill-wise, I tend to see the same spread at tournaments as I do in my league, apart from a bit more frenzy on orc blitzers.

Have fun!

[url=http://schwingaward.org/]SChWiNG[/url] Treasurer
mrbrownesquire
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mrbrownesquire »

Never call illegal proceedure!

Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

Hey, here is how things work in Ontario/Quebec.

1) Avoid calling Illegal Procedure. In some tournaments we have replaced the reroll gain/loss with having to wear a silly hat (pink birthday hat or something). Then people we calling Illegal Procedure all the time to get their opponent to wear the hat. But if that's not the case, I just pay attention to my opponent's turn maker and remind him to move it. The intent of IP is really to make sure that both coaches know which turn they are on and that turns aren't forgotten. On the other hand, some coaches have developped a rivalry over the years where they will call Illegal Procedure against certain opponents, but mostly just to get a reaction out of them. :)

2) First thing that we do is introduce our teams in detail to our opponent. We also usually have a spare team roster that we can give to the more "visually" inclined coaches, expecially when lots of skills are involved.

3) When a dice is cocked or falls off the table, we always reroll both dice. But really the general rule is that before the game starts both coaches agree on how to handle cocked dice.

4) Always use normal block dice (NAF or normal GW). Most tournaments over here provide the D6's. If they don't, use fairly normal looking D6's. A symbol instead of pips to represent a 1 or a 6 is fine, as long as it is obvious.

5) Make sure that your player positions are easy to identify. If it is not clear, use base rings if possible or other method to make sure that your opponent knows which guy is you Wardancer and which guys is your thrower. Also number your players clearly so that your opponent can distinguish which players have what skills.

6) Always call the action that you want to perform before moving your player. In some cases it's not a problem. But in other cases it can look like if you are trying to take advantage of a situation. For example, you block the ball carrier and the ball bounces on you and you catch it. That player's turn is over because it was a block. If you call a blitz after you have cought the ball, then it looks like if you are taking advantage of having cought the ball. These things happen once in a while, and that's fine. But if such situations occur often in a game, then people may start to think that you are doing it on purpose.

If you are concerned about proper etiquette, then I'm convinced that you won't have any issues.

Curious, are you talking about going to the Sweetbun in Montreal? If so, I'll see you there. ;) The bunch of us are very good guys who play for the love of the hobby and the camaradery more than to win. And we are always very lenient and forgiving to new comers. I've seen a few games lost or tied by veterans while they were helping a new coach with strategy. Always worth a good laugh when that happens (well, for everybody except the veteran coach in question) :P.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please ask.

Cramy
grampyseer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by grampyseer »

Cramy nailed most of them.

I have only one to add.

Don't touch other people's minis. When you roll a knockdown, touch the square you want the opponent in, and let him lie his player down.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

grampyseer wrote:I have only one to add.

Don't touch other people's minis. When you roll a knockdown, touch the square you want the opponent in, and let him lie his player down.
Really? I've played against some really good painters, and none of them have asked me to do that (in fact, one told me to "stop f*cking about, and move the bloody figure" :lol: ).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

yer not touching the other teams minis would really slow the game down

as long as you are careful with them I don't see a problem

nicely done teams are usually varnished as well

PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Agreed with Darkson and Grum, never been an issue with my models or any of my opponents.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
thechosengobbo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by thechosengobbo »

Agree with the above 3.

Just remember to loudly complain about foreign coaches whenever you're losing (doesn't matter if they're actually foreign or not)

Everything in moderation (except possibly moderation)
Fondu77

Post by Fondu77 »

cheat but discretly, and if seen. try the "what a fool, didn't see that!" :D

Mainstreaming is a illness.
alligators.eu to buy some of my minis !
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Bloody frenchies, up their usual cheating tricks again

;) ;)

BTW you should chant "skulls, skulls, skulls" or "ones, ones, ones" every time your opponent picks up a dice. When it does come up go "Ha! Called & got!"

;)

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Fondu77

Post by Fondu77 »

Don't hesitate also to say your opponent he is bader, fatter, than what you thought when he roll dices. :wink:

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Try to use coherent sentences, aka "proper English" :wink:.

Fondu77

Post by Fondu77 »

JaM wrote:Try to use coherent sentences, aka "proper English" :wink:.
I try sir :D