Halfling defence (if any) in tourney

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

dwarfrunner
Veteran
Veteran

Halfling defence (if any) in tourney

Post by dwarfrunner »

I am playing halflings in a tourney in afew weeks. this tourney is geared towards halflings, so I get lots of bonuses during team creation, as well as kick-off changes and other stuff. Minimal skill purchases to start, but I get random skills throughout the tourney.

My team will be 14 players, including two Treeman, Deeproot and Puggy, a Master Chef, as well as one halfling with AG+, sprint, sure feet.

Offence, I have a decent concept on how to play them, assuming I don't fail too many rolls (which I will). But I am kinda stumped on how to setup and play defence. Is it worth it to try and stop the opponent, or just pressure him enough not to stall for too many turns.

I also use throw team-mate frequently, as a way to pressure the opposing team and get my players to areas they normally could not reach. I am also not adverse to fouling if the opportunity presents itself. But that will depend on the numbers, only have three spares, so players could disappear quickly.

Anyways, general or specific advice would help. Not that I am planning on winning alot, but maybe afew ties would be nice

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

sidestep and diving tackle

be a general pain, standing off to slow down cages or use them to mark up receivers

getting the trees in the way or tying players up will help as well

best you can hope for i guess, try and get them to use their rerolls assuming you don't steal them all

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

Given the caliber of some of your opponents (namely those from the GTA) I think defense is all but hopeless! :lol:

Seriously, the best thing to do is to use the skills GD mentioned. I had a scouple of successful halfling teams on FUMBBL and Sidestep was a godsend!

I found that what served me best with the 'flings is taking the kinds of chances that you would never dream of with any other team! When it failesd, that is what everyone expected, so no big deal. But when you pull it off! It is a cause for celebration! I also found that I was suerprised how many of these crazy plays would actually work out!

Stunty is going to be your best friend!

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
dwarfrunner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dwarfrunner »

Skills will be key, depending on which random ones I get. All I can hope is some useful ones.

And since I am playing a team I don't expect to win much with, I expect to be playing alot of GTA coaches at the bottom of the rankings, since that is where they normally are.

I played a practice game against Skaven, and it went moderately well. Defence was obviously an issue, being the team was almost twice as fast as me. And one desperate throw teammate/blitz failed miserably. But except for some bad luck early in the second, the game was not bad. I lost 4-2, but it could have been 3-3 if afew of my bad rolls went in my favor. The treemen kicked ass, but never hurt anyone, which made things more difficult.

dwarfrunner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dwarfrunner »

Well, the tournament came and gone and the final result was something I, nor anyone else in the tournament, was expecting. I finished with an overall record of 2W-4T-0L. Undefeated, woohoo. Tactics were simple, and fairly successful, threw a sh!tload of halflings all over the pitch, with majority successfully landing, and kept my opponents on their heels all game. If I had won instead of tying my last game, I would have won the tournament. Course, if I had finished painting my team I would have tied for first, but instead I got chopped down to 7th. Oh well. I always lose points for painting since my teams are never done. The random skills I selected were useless, but only afew skills would have been useful in my team strategy anyways, so no surprise there.

I must say, I will deffinently be bringing that team to the tourney next year, to see if I can continue my streak, and to see if it was really a fluke or not.

I was also in the running for most TD's (finished second by one), most CAS (finished second by two) and would have been in the running for best painted if my team was complete.

bjorn9486
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bjorn9486 »

dwarfrunner wrote:...most CAS (finished second by two) ...
Yeah, and 4 of those were my blitzers :pissed:

But in all honesty, you had a great defense. The trees held the line and you swarmed anyone that had the ball or could get the ball.

dwarfrunner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dwarfrunner »

bjorn9486 wrote:
dwarfrunner wrote:...most CAS (finished second by two) ...
Yeah, and 4 of those were my blitzers :pissed:

But in all honesty, you had a great defense. The trees held the line and you swarmed anyone that had the ball or could get the ball.
Your four blitzers, Andrews two Wardancers, when I killed, it count. :lol:

Thanks Bjorn, the reason I swarmed was because it took three guys just too get a two dice block on a ST3 player. And my trees slowed the flow of players into my zone, so it was easier to swarm players since there were less to attack.