TV 110 Dark Elfs Skills?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Willi
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

TV 110 Dark Elfs Skills?

Post by Willi »

Ok I´m taking Darkies to an upcoming Tourny and I`m pretty sure about the roster. It is a resurrection tournament with one normal skill before each of the 6 games, only one additional skill per player.

Roster:
4 Blitzers
1 WE
1 Assassin
5 Linelfs

3RR
1FF

I know its risky and the Assassin probably not worth it but I like him and want to try him in an tournament.

So what skills to take?
Block on WE seems pretty obvious.
But then? Please help!

Reason: ''
Rent me. I`m German.
Fondu77
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Fondu77 »

dodge on blitzer is always usefull

wrestle on line should do the trick also

WE with block is nice

kik on line may help you against heavy when you'll be undernumbered

block on the assasin may help him to get to the second half.

Strip ball may force the stuff.

6 proposition of skills

Mainstreaming is a illness.
alligators.eu to buy some of my minis !
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I would say Wrestle on the WE. First skill. Compliments Jump Up, and with Frenzy gives you a great chance of getting down people you really need to (blodgers etc).

Dodge on the Blitzers is a solid choice, as is Strip Ball on one of them.

If you are taking the Assassin you really need to skill him. He is such a target otherwise. Dodge helps him survive, although Side Step might be a nasty trick ... works with Shadowing and gives your opponent a reason not to block him. I wouldn't take Block since you won't throwing blocks. As a purely defensive pick, Dodge will be better.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

Wrestle on the WE

Dodge or Side Step on the Assassin

Dodge on Blitzers

If facing lots of dodge, Tackle on one or two Blitzers

Kick on a lineman or a blitzer (if you know that you won't give that blitzer any more skills).

Rationale for kick on the blitzer.
1) He does not go on the LoS. So if you are down linemen, you don't need to put your kick lineman or a blitzer on the line.
2) He has block, hence has less chance of getting injured during the game.

Cramy
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

#1: Wrestle Witch.
#2: Kick Lino or Blitzer (whoever plays linebacker), or Assassin if you don't plan on giving him Side Step (assuming the Witch is your other safety). Best skill in the game and would be #1 if not for the Witch.
#3: Side Step Lino. Nose-man on the defensive line, helps keep the net intact by always occupying the center square. As good as Dodge for keeping blocks off of him, given that he's always in the thick of it.
After that: Less important. Above suggestions all good.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Odium Khan
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Odium Khan »

mattgslater wrote:#1: Wrestle Witch.
#2: Kick Lino or Blitzer (whoever plays linebacker), or Assassin if you don't plan on giving him Side Step (assuming the Witch is your other safety). Best skill in the game and would be #1 if not for the Witch.
#3: Side Step Lino. Nose-man on the defensive line, helps keep the net intact by always occupying the center square. As good as Dodge for keeping blocks off of him, given that he's always in the thick of it.
What's a linebacker and what's a safety. Depending on that, I might agree about the first two. The third I disagree about for the reason you give yourself: "given he's always in the thick of it", well a lineman w/o block or dodge with sidestep is almost as much a target as an assassin with kick. Seems to me he will be in the thick of it for the first few turns of a game only. Better kitting out asap with blodgers.

DOUBT - Formerly Europe's northernmost Blood Bowl tournament.
BUBBLE - Umeå's premiere Blood Bowl league.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Odium Khan wrote:
mattgslater wrote:#1: Wrestle Witch.
What's a linebacker and what's a safety. Depending on that, I might agree about the first two. The third I disagree about for the reason you give yourself: "given he's always in the thick of it", well a lineman w/o block or dodge with sidestep is almost as much a target as an assassin with kick. Seems to me he will be in the thick of it for the first few turns of a game only. Better kitting out asap with blodgers.
A linebacker stands behind the line, soaks up inside blitzes and is ready to rush the backfield, drop into coverage, or hit back if not blitzed. A safety stands behind the linebackers, somewhere he's not likely to get hit, and either drops into coverage or rushes the backfield. On most DE teams, backers are Blitzers or Linos and Safeties are AV7 positionals.

Side Step on the LOS is better than Block, Wrestle or Dodge for several reasons. It's so good that a single SS'er can facilitate a more aggressive defense while reducing the number of casualties suffered by more than 10%.
1) Works vs. Dwarfs and CDs. So do Block and Wrestle, but not Dodge.
2) Block and Wrestle are only good on the LOS in that they stop opponents from using a Blitzer to get extra KD power. If you spend a skill to put Block or Wrestle on the line, he'll just get hit by a rookie or big guy or something.
3) Dodge and Block have no power to prevent chain-blocks. Wrestle does have some such ability, but it's relevant only one time in twelve (compared to Side Step, which matters about 1 time out of 4 on 2d blocks with potential chain-block effects).
4) Dodge, Block and Wrestle have no effect on chain-pushes. Just 1x Side Step kills just about any OTS attempt on teams you'll encounter in this format, and it prevents teams from engineering extra blocks on your backfield.
5) Side Step is the single best skill for protecting a dedicated receiver or for standing a TZ on the ball. The only way to knock him off is to knock him down, and even then he can block the carrier's path or scatter the ball if that's preferable.
6) Side Step ensures that you can virtually always dodge into the clear.
7) Side Step is great for marking Frenzy/ST3.
8) Side Step makes a player hard to foul.

And for the record, nobody blitzes Side Steppers for situational value. Wherever your SS guy might be right now, there's always someplace better they could be, and a push just about never gets them out of the way. Even a Blodger has an 8/9 chance to get shoved out of the action, though his chance of falling is only 11/36. The SS guy has a 3/4 chance to fall, but almost all of the falls and absolutely all of the non-falls will leave you with at least one blocked square.

The odds of taking him off the pitch with a 2d block with Block are 3/4 * 5/18 * 5/12 = 75/864 ~ 8.7%. Without Block, it's 125/1944 ~ 6.4%. Don't bank on losing him.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Odium Khan
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Odium Khan »

Has been some time since I logged in so the topic is probably cold already. But anyways Matt, it seems you are pretty convinced and have some good arguments. I could start questioning said arguments but I think in the end neither of us would win the other over.

I cannot resist adding one point however: How good is Side Step on your own turn (compared to dodge, block or wrestle)?

I believe side step might be the best second skill in the game, if the player has, for example, block or dodge first. Only player without block that I would consider side step as first* skill is another positional on the dark elf team... The assassin.

*) first = only, in most tournament formats.

DOUBT - Formerly Europe's northernmost Blood Bowl tournament.
BUBBLE - Umeå's premiere Blood Bowl league.