Are apothecaries worthwhile in a resurrection tournament?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Fat_Emrys
Veteran
Veteran

Are apothecaries worthwhile in a resurrection tournament?

Post by Fat_Emrys »

I've signed up for my first tourney (Carrot Crunch) and am pondering roster choices.

Given that all injuries are healed after each game, am I right in thinking that the 50,000gp an apothecary would cost might be better spent on giving a player a starting skill or perhaps on a Bloodweiser Babe (in the hope that more players will be KO'd than hurt)?

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

depends on the team

I took one on my chaos dwarfs to the last tournament I was at

they are also more worthwhile if using the experimental version that lets you change a KO to a stun, keeps that extra player on the pitch which could be vital

standard LRB5 perhaps isn't that great, not sure I'll bother with it again

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Depends a lot on tournament format, too. If your 50k for the Apoth could be used on skill purchases, probably not, but if it's a 1.1M game with a set number/progression of improvements, then it depends on the team's overall AV, price of linos, and relative field value of key positionals.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Grumbledook wrote:depends on the team

they are also more worthwhile if using the experimental version that lets you change a KO to a stun, keeps that extra player on the pitch which could be vital
I think these are the two key points.

1) If you cheapest player is 70K, then 50K for an Apo is worth thinking about. Otherwise you are better off just taking the extra player, as an Apo doesn't help with KOs (and isn't worth risking on SI/Dead). I'd also look at an Apo if you have a deep bench. 13 players plus an Apo is better than 14 players, since you can often save the Apo for one of your skilled players or postionals.

2) But in LRB6 you can use the Apo to keep a KO'd player on the pitch. This makes Apos a lot better in tournaments, since if you don't need him in the first half on a CAS, you still get value from him in the second half. If you are kicking to a grinding team in the second half and they only need to score one, you might as well have ten Apos for all the good it will do. Off the pitch is off the pitch, be it a CAS or KO.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Apothecary an be good but I found it a bit hit and miss. I would always choose a 12th player before an apothecary and probably a 13th too.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Joemanji wrote:
Grumbledook wrote:depends on the team

I think these are the two key points.

1) If you cheapest player is 70K, then 50K for an Apo is worth thinking about. Otherwise you are better off just taking the extra player, as an Apo doesn't help with KOs (and isn't worth risking on SI/Dead). I'd also look at an Apo if you have a deep bench. 13 players plus an Apo is better than 14 players, since you can often save the Apo for one of your skilled players or postionals.

2) But in LRB6 you can use the Apo to keep a KO'd player on the pitch. This makes Apos a lot better in tournaments, since if you don't need him in the first half on a CAS, you still get value from him in the second half. If you are kicking to a grinding team in the second half and they only need to score one, you might as well have ten Apos for all the good it will do. Off the pitch is off the pitch, be it a CAS or KO.
Almost sums it for me with one more thought, fouls & KOs.

Teams that don't foul much and don't get KO'd very often (Dwarfs are the obvious one), get more out of an apoth.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else