tiers for tournaments

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

oryxwild
Experienced
Experienced

tiers for tournaments

Post by oryxwild »

I'm aware that the various rulesets - 100 tv, 110 tv, different skill choices/progressions - affect how different races perform, but I'm surprised to have been unable to find any tier lists or topics at all.

That being said, if a player was really trying to win (as opposed to playing purely for enjoyment, as a challenge, to use a team that's been painted, etc etc.), what team would give the best chance of winning (across the board)?

I'm not sure whether or not I want to play a "power team", but I do want to know what I'm giving up if I choose to play, say, dark elves as opposed to dwarves, since I have both teams.

Also, which are the really hopeless tournament teams (other than those that are also hopeless teams - see halfling, goblin).

Reason: ''
oryxwild
Experienced
Experienced

Post by oryxwild »

Well, I actually found something more useful (the list of which races have won which tournaments), so while comments are still welcome, I have a much better idea of what I'm sacrificing if I choose to play dark elves over, say, dwarves.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

it depends somewhat on the tournament rules as well

TV 115 for example gives more of a chance to the more expensive teams like high elves

also if you start the tournament with all the skills for every game rather than allocating skills per match this can give a boost to the teams that don't start with many skills, like vampire and chaos

as TV110 with one skill per game is the most common ruleset the teams that do best with that have won the most tournaments

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Tier 1 - Lucifer, Pippy
Tier 2 - everyone else
Tier 3 - Shanipoo, pigstar

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

All tournaments are heavily house-ruled (by their nature), so it is hard to generalise.

Some races do better at low TV, others prefer higher TV.

Some tournaments allow lots of skills, others few, some tournaments allow doubles skills. Each ruleset will inevitably favour some teams at the expense of others.

Smeborg the Fleshless
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I'm hardly the guy to ask, and many here could tell you more about tournaments than I. But from my understanding of tournament formats and my experience in leagues, here's what I'd guess. EDITED 6/19 to account for Grumbledook's and SillySod's comments.

I: Skills

Teams that favor rookie play
Amazons
Dwarfs
Goblins
Halflings
Khemri
Norse
Ogres
Undead
Wood Elves

Teams that favor a smattering of skills
Chaos Dwarfs
Dark Elves
Lizardmen
Necromantic

Teams that favor a lot of skills
Chaos
Elves
High Elves
Nurgle
Vampires

Teams that don't care
Humans
Orcs
Skaven

II: Money

Teams that favor 1M over 1.1M+
Amazons
Chaos Dwarfs
Goblins
Halflings
Orcs
Skaven
Undead

Teams that favor 1.1M+ over 1M
Dark Elves
High Elves
Lizardmen
Necromantic
Nurgle
Wood Elves
Vampires

Teams that don't care
Chaos
Dwarfs
Elves
Humans
Khemri
Norse
Ogres

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

why would vamps favour 1m? surely buying an extra reroll and thrall is really useful?

I'd put chaos dwarfs in the don't care section as well

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Cool. I don't really think it matters with Vamps, as they're definitely not a powerhouse team in most tourney formats. You're probably right with Chaos Dwarfs. Like I said, I'm not a big tournament coach and I wrote that up off the top; if it sparks debate and is at least about half right in the rough, I'm happy.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Vampires definately favour 1.1M over 1M, ogres dont really care because while they gain alot from the extra 100k thier opponents also gain alot - reserves.

Barney is a clever dog.
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Updated. Thanks.

I left out the new teams. I'd imagine CP and Slann favor lots of skills and 1.1M. What about UWP? Off the top, I can see all sorts of arguments (susceptible to Tackle, short on skills, 2x big guy, cheap AV7 players). But I've never played UWP or seen them played.

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Slann like a smattering of skills while chaos pact like to have plenty but dont especially care. Both are definately 1.1M+ rosters.

Barney is a clever dog.
nerdkingdan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nerdkingdan »

I am experimenting with underworld. I would say Underworld prefer 1M. They really get everything they really want out of 1M.

If I missed them in your list sorry.